“Typically Dutch food in a friendly atmosphere”
Review of La Falote

La Falote
Reserve with
La Falote is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #626 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
Description: Eethuisje La Falote is a typical Dutch restaurant in the Museum quarter. The best traditional Dutch kitchen in town, more than 30 years. Simple, but nice and straight. Now, we also are open for lunch, starts at 13.00 hs - 4 minutes walking from Museum square - 7 minutes walking from the Albert Cuyp market - Tram nr 3 and nr 5 stops on the corner Our dishes are still traditionally prepared by the chef Peter. That is why the menu includes dishes that fit the season, such as stews and peas with bacon in winter, and in summer salads and fish. The Dutch classic, the meatball, is always on the menu. In addition, La Falote has a daily and weekly changing menu, often with simply Dutch meals.
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This restaurant, conveniently located close to Museumplein, was recommended by the receptionist at our hotel for our first dinner in Amsterdam and we weren't disappointed with our first Dutch meal: the stew, served with boiled potatoes, green beans (a bit overcooked for my taste) and a side salad, was really delicious and we were served by very friendly staff. As we were drinking our coffee the chef/owner appeared with his accordion and did the rounds of the tables. On discovering we were English, we were serenaded with 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean' despite our protests that this is a Scottish song!! The place seems popular with locals - always a good sign - and was pleasantly 'buzzy', but note that it closes at 21.00, so is not for late diners

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Enjoyed dinner at this dutch restaurant in Amsterdam's museum quarter. Good, friendly service. Decorations in restaurant a bit eclectic but I think overall, restaurant is cozy and worth a visit. This is the place to try typical dutch dishes that are tasty. Aside from their standard menu, they offer specials using vegetables that are in season. I believe the chef also sometimes plays the accordion but it unfortunately didn't happen during my visit. Check it out!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We wanted to try some real dutch food on our trip to Amsterdam and having read rave reviews decided to try La Falote.

The food we ordered was bland, stodgy and unappealing to say the least. I'd have rather cooked myself. The onion soup I ordered barely seemed to have seen an onion and the veal meal resembled sick.

However I have to say that the staff were friendly. Although they did try to charge us for extra beers on the bill at the end.

Would not recommend.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I went to La Falote for an early dinner/late lunch after visiting the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. We were famished from all the walking that morning/afternoon and the warm environment at La Falote welcomed our weary souls. The owner/chef came out and greeted us heartily. He was really friendly and fun and even put us at the big table in front of the window when we had originally sat down at at small table in the corner. The food was really delicious. I had a traditional Dutch beef stew. I'd order it again in a heartbeat. It reminded me a little of stew my mom made as a kid, only tastier of course! They have several Dutch beers on tap as well and I had my first Dommelsche beer there. Throughout Amsterdam most of the bars and restaurants serve Heineken or Amstel so it was nice to discover a new Dutch beer at La Falote. The service was courteous and efficient but without making us feel rushed at all. It opens at 3pm, so if you want a cozier experience maybe before the dinner rush, head over there then. The owner even shared a story about a patron who came in everyday at 3pm for the last 20 years. It was a nice touch and I can see why that guy would go there every day. Very warm atmosphere. If we ever go back to Amsterdam we will definitely go back to La Falote.

1  Thank Carolyn818
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Family run restaurant where the chef comes over and explain the specials of the day. Good selection on the menu and very good food, well cooked and well presented. The starter of cured salmon with Wasabi cream was really good. If anything a bit too much by the time you've had the main course, mashed and pan fried potatoes, vegetables and salad, but only two of us, for a bigger table it would probably have been ideal.