“Delicious local food with some musical entertainment thrown in!”
Review of La Falote

La Falote
Reserve with
La Falote is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #611 of 3,806 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
Description: Eethuisje La Falote is a typical Dutch restaurant in the Museum quarter. The best traditional Dutch kitchen in town, more than 30 years. Simple, but nice and straight. Now, we also are open for lunch, starts at 13.00 hs - 4 minutes walking from Museum square - 7 minutes walking from the Albert Cuyp market - Tram nr 3 and nr 5 stops on the corner Our dishes are still traditionally prepared by the chef Peter. That is why the menu includes dishes that fit the season, such as stews and peas with bacon in winter, and in summer salads and fish. The Dutch classic, the meatball, is always on the menu. In addition, La Falote has a daily and weekly changing menu, often with simply Dutch meals.
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious local food with some musical entertainment thrown in!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Liked the interior, the service was excellent, food was tasty and well priced; the personal music session by the owner/cook at our table was just great and made for a restaurant with a wonderfully comfortable atmosphere - what a lovely way to be welcomed to Amsterdam!

Visited May 2013

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Horrible.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Terrible, will not be returning ever again. I don't even want to waste any more time on writing this review because I no longer want to be reminded of this horrible day, and the money I spend on food I didn't even want to place in my mouth. The chef was unbelievable rude, not only to us, as costumers, but to the staff as well. I hate to see staff treated in this way and find it extremely disrespectful and is not something I enjoy to see/hear during my supper, and anyone who does, is in my eyes a sadist.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Jane D
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
“A very poular restaurant on a wet Friday in Amsterdam”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife had the menu of the day and the asparagus soup, the meat ball and sweet option was really good. I had the French Onion soup and I have to say this was a disappointment as iy was not as flavoursome as some I've had in France and even the Uk. (I have a suspicion that it may have been heated in a microwave as the bowl was quite hot and the soup a bit on the cool side and I could see directly into the kitchen). However my Dutch Beef Stew was superb and served with potatoes and salad was excellent. The bill together with a carafe of a very nice house red came to just under €50, which was reasonable.

Visited May 2013
“What FUN! and good food”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Happened by here because it was close to our hotel (walking distance from the Bilderberg Garden Hotel and a number of other places) and because it was highly rated on Trip Advisor. We know why! We got a friendly reception upon our arrival and they took our coats and hung them up by the door. The place is a bit small and the tables and chairs configuration somewhat tight (for American tourists) so not having bulky coats was a plus. We had a 1 year old with us who was doted on and provided a high chair. Didn't catch the name of our waitress but I suspect she might be related to the chef? Nevertheless, she was super friendly and did a great job translating the foods to English for us to understand. And what she couldn't, the CHEF/Owner himself came from the kitchen to inform. Delicious bread and fantastic garlic butter was provided upon our sit down. We ordered a carafe of white wine to drink. When we were trying to figure out what to order, the Chef came out of the kitchen to help us as well as other customers. In fact, he invited us back to test the andive to see if it was something we wanted. I would highly recomment taking his suggestions because with the 3 of us adults at the table, we each got a different special dish and enjoyed sampling each others. There is a "chef's delight" or specials of the day. The prices ended up a little steep but for 3 adults, 1 carafe of wine, 3 dinners and 3 desserts, we got out of there just under 100 euros. Not too bad. The food was traditional dutch (or so I believe since I'm not dutch) and simply delicious. The andive had a specific sweet hint to it that was amazing. Pork or schnitzel was plentiful and of course, the veggies were lovingly prepared. The best part of our visit was a little later in the evening when the chef/owner busted out the accordian and sing-along-books! What excitement. Interactive but not overdone sing-along-time. While he made his way all over the small restaurant, everyone was involved to the level they were comfortable with. Just like everyone else in Amsterdam, the staff and chef/owner were engaging and helpful and very approachable and seem truly interested in you having a good time. If I remember correctly, like a lot of places in Europe recently, they don't take credit cards so bring enough cash with you to cover the meal and a tip. I highly recommend this place and suggest to plan to stay a while and enjoy all this chef and his restaurant have to offer.

• Visited April 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Just as nice as mama's cooking”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Restaurant/eethuisje La Falote is located in the "Oud-Zuid" area. It is in easy reach of the city centre, and mainly serves Dutch cuisine. The restaurant brochure informs us that the cook is preparing the same meals that you used to love at home: the ones your mother prepared for you as a child. That is absolutely true. They serve wonderful home cooked meals that are just as nice as mama's cooking. The two young waitresses are very friendly and perform an excellent job. Prices are, moreover, quite reasonable! They only take cash, so please beware that you have some on you, for the nearest ATM is a fifteen minutes walk away.

• Visited January 2013