1,300 results
All reviews honesty bar jacuzzi bath van gogh museum quiet street honor bar museum district designer shops executive room great boutique high end shopping seafood bar major museums nespresso machine shopping street sister hotel airport bus small hotel
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I am currently staying in this hotel and yes... I have had some issues with my room but I have had my room swapped and I will take these issues up with the manager. However this was a matter of bad luck (sort of) and I don't want to take away from what a lovely hotel this is.

First of all the area - well it is saying something when you walk out of the hotel and you can see the Louis Vuitton sign sparkling on the street adjacent. This is Amsterdam and its most upmarket with the most expensive shopping street in the city at your door. The street which is home to the hotel is on a small tree lined road parallel to the fashion district and is peaceful and pretty.

When you arrive at the hotel it has that "boutique" feel you expect. Classy, kitsch and dressed with persian rugs and quirky contemporary art. In the reception is also the "honesty bar" - a not so mini mini bar for all guests to use, take what you want and write it down on a card which you then leave at reception to be billed for later.

Now - the rooms. I stayed in the executive room. I walked in and my initially though was "wow." Now I am a 25 year old solo traveller but I have stayed in some nice hotels across europe but I think this is my favourite. Clean, cool grey on the walls, simple and functional storage with plenty of room and a grand double bed with coco-matt mattress which really has that "jump in" allure. And then what every boy loves - GADGETS. A jacuzzi bath, build in high definition TV at the foot of the tub so you can catch up on CNN while the bubbles ease your tired legs. A nespresso machine to begin your day with a shot of caffeine and the best bit is everything works. I have stayed in endless hotels with gadgets galore but you turn the TV on and are met with a snowstorm. There are several english channels to choose from and the picture is crystal clear both in the bathroom and the widescreen in the main bedroom.

To finish this review I would like to commend the hotel staff. The service is no doubt excellent and this is always best tested when you have a complaint. The issues with my room were dealt with superbly - there is a lesson to be learnt from many hotels by the way I was death with today. It makes such a difference when someone shows some understanding when you explain you have had a rough night.

This hotel is perfectly placed and perfectly appointed. It makes your trip feel special and I would thoroughly recommend you stay here.

Room Tip: avoid basement rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank nadeemcrowe
Reviewed July 21, 2011

nespresso coffee maker in room very good , jacuzzi bath great for relax tv in bathroom , and big comfy bed , room was a little on small side but luxury makes up for that ,would stay again

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights recently, very friendly staff, top location, nice building, tastefully decorated rooms and loved all te art in the hotel. Hotel is brand new and feels like home with the honesty bar concept. Will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JDinThailand
Reviewed July 7, 2011

It was my first trip to Amsterdam and stayed 5 nights in hotel as a leisure traveller. As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel is ideally positioned to access the museums ( Rijks and Vincent Van Gogh), Vongel park, fashion street and restaurants. So there are heaps of activities to do around the area.

Room is spaciously designed with contemporary art deco and great amenities. Among the list of likes, what stood out the most was the bed . Having slept in different hotel beds during business and leisure, it is one of the most comfortable beds that is hard to jump out each morning. Free high speed wireless internet was another perk.

Breakfast spread is a standard American breakfast spread + hot items like eggs and pancakes. I recommend having the flour-less banana pancakes as they were a real perk to my mornings. The lounge/breakfast area that shares the honesty bar is a great concept for guests to access to coffee/tea services and other beverages throughout the day.

Staffs are really friendly, down to earth and personalized without over the top formalities which is always a deal-breaker for me. Big shoutout to Cindy and Susan(ne?) who helped us out on a lot on our itineraries and always readily to engage in a personalized conversation.

Tip: Ask for the free bikes from the hotel, quite an interesting experience to see the city.
Will definitely stay with them when I'm back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ethanlwx
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Living in Atlanta, USA and originally from Amsterdam; I decided to celebrate my birthday back in Amsterdam. With many of my fiends from US, Asia and Europe we all stayed in Hotel JL. First and foremost, the hotel is located in just a perfect spot, close to the Vondelpark (love my morning run), Amsterdam's version of Rodeo Drive is literally around the corner and the museums are around the other corner. Some of my friends being first timers to Amsterdam were absolutely falling in love with this neighborhood, also because it's less than 10 min walk to the Leidseplein and canal area. The hotel itself has a cool, contemporary elegance and feels very welcoming and relaxed. Some of my guests being frequent travelers said they would on their next visit to Amsterdam skip the big brand hotels and stay in Hotel JL. I personally think that the staff is really making all the difference in the world and one small example is: when we returned from a biking tour (on the hotel bikes) showing windmills, canals and all that: when we were parking all the bikes on our return at the hotel. The receptionist, her name was Cindy, came out with a tray of glasses with ice water for everyone. I was gobsmacked. A small gesture with a great impact. A throughout our stay the staff was making all guests feel at home. A great example of a boutique hotel with that sincere personal touch often difficult to find at the big brand hotels. Can't wait to come back to Amsterdam again!

• Stayed: June 2011