“Small boutique hotel in good location. Recommended.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel JL No76

Hotel JL No76
Ranked #32 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Small boutique hotel in good location. Recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This is a new, small boutique hotel close to the major museums (2 min walk to Van Gogh etc). It's in a quiet residential street, but still only steps away from the high end shoppingareas of Van Baerlestraate and P.J Hooftstraat. Trams 2 and 5 will take you to "down town" in only 5 minutes time (about 15 min to the central station) or you can walk to Leidseplein in about 7 minutes.
I had a pleasant experience during my business trip. Good service from all staff members throughout the stay despite what others have experienced. The beds are actually some of the best hotelbeds I have ever slept in. I may have been upgraded as I reserved a standard room, but was surprised to see a jacuzzi with built-in TV in the bathroom(only in Executive rooms according to the website). My only critizism is that the mirror over the sink is put up way to high. I am avarage height, but could only see the upper half of my face while doing my make-up ... I know the Dutch are the tallest people in the world, but dont forget the rest of us : )
Had the breakfast one morning, and it had a more than sufficient variety of choices. It was possible to order pancakes, eggs of your choice etc. Did not try the restaurant or room service.
I think this hotel deserves better than its current rating on Tripadvisor (Nr 242), but I believe this will get better as more guests rate this new hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Mat0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We chose this hotel for a team building trip, and stayed for 3 nights. On arrival we were offered a room on the ground floor next to the elevator, literary the door of the elevator was next to the room! There was still construction work going on the ground floor, so we were not so thrilled to get a ground room facing the works. Maybe our reaction has surprised the reception, but we wanted another room and were offered another one on the third floor not facing the building site. The room was spacious and quiet, so we were happy to get this one. However as our group had people arriving at different hours, the last guys got a room in the basement as a start and were offered the one we refused to stay in as a substitute. This whole game of 'who gets the worst room if you don't complain' is a bit frustrating for a customer who is expecting to stay at a four star hotel with some standards. As a suggestion I would recommend to either inform the customers in advance about the state of the rooms, or not to offer them at all if they are not suitable.

Another drawback was the staff that was dealing with the customers - quite unprofessionally we were mocked about our accents - I find it strange and immature - this coming from the same guy who was walking around with the vacuum cleaner, trying to produce an internet password for 30min, and again he had entered our room while we were in the room to demand 'turn down' service. We didn't understand what position this guy was taking either, when he stopped us on the street and said : I only work here. Truly bizzare experience. I can assure you we didn't even engage in further discussions with the staff, we preferred to stay away from the hotel if possible.

On the other hand, the next morning there were new people at the reception who were dealing with the clients much more efficiently and professionally. It seems that maybe it's a matter of staff training and ethics, but again it's a pity that this factor leaves you with poor experience.

To sum it up, all of my group had a different experience - some were disappointed by the room, some were unhappy with the service, some were happy with the room and didn't mind the service because they simply didn't spend much time in the hotel. This is a small boutique hotel with good location to the museums. If you are lucky with a good room you may have a good short stay. I would look for more established hotels for a longer stay for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms with views to the street, higher floor