“A Bidge Too Far”
Review of History Trips

History Trips
Ranked #49 of 425 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wow! What a fantastic trip. I've watched the movies, read the books but to live it like Murk described it was one of a kind. I am already planning my next tour with the guy. Seriously, I can't wait for the Battle of the Bulge trip next year.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Right off the bat, I want to say the Murk provided my wife and me with the finest, most personalized tour, of any kind, that we have ever experienced. I contacted Murk by email a month before our trip to Holland and asked him if he could arrange a private Market Garden tour for us with special emphasis on the unit that my wife’s uncle Martin served in, the 7th KOSB, part of 1st Para. Before we had even left for Amsterdam Murk had sent us research he had uncovered that specifically mentioned Uncle Martin and his unit.
Murk picked us up at our apartment in Amsterdam at 9am and drove us to Oosterbeek. We didn’t return until after 7pm that evening. It was a full and fantastic day. Murk knows the history and geography of Operation Market Garden intimately. But he had also undertaken the research that enabled him to walk us over the actual ground where Uncle Martin had landed, fought, been wounded and finally captured. Murk is a fine historian and a consummate storyteller. He was able to weave the story of Uncle Martin’s unit seamlessly into the overall story of Market Garden. My wife is not a historian, nor a military enthusiast, but Murk was able to make everything resonate meaningfully with her. It was a truly special and unique experience.
Murk is more than a historian. He is a real lover of history whose enthusiasm is both natural and contagious. My wife and I would take another tour with Murk in a heartbeat and we would unfailingly recommend him to you.

1  Thank Richard D
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I took the Arnhem tour with Murk. It was one of the most fascinating days I have spent. We thoroughly toured all the interesting sites in Arnhem related to the Market Garden operation. He told many stories and anecdotes that I had not previously been exposed to. He has had participants and family of participants on his tours and has accumulated a wealth of personal information about the events and the brave souls who fought in this massive campaign. It was especially poignant in that my tour took place on the anniversary of the evacuation of the remaining troops in Arnhem. At all of the memorials and at the cemetery, The children of Arnhem, and many others have laid flowers, wreaths, and other memorials. Even now, 69 years later, the people of Arnhem are grateful for the sacrifices. I heartily recommend Murk and any of his tours. You will not be disappointed!!

1  Thank Bullwinkle99
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I BET I've BEEN ON AT Least 50 MILITARY HISTORY TOURS IN Europe and in THE US OVER THE LAST 25 YEARS--(oops, sorry for caps) but my trip to Arnhem w Murk heads the list. It's one thing to go over a battle ground and be filled with facts---it's quite another to accomplish that PLUS capture the spirit and aura of the entire episode and that's what Murk did for me. It's now 16 days after my trip and I'm still filled w all that I saw and felt in Arnhem, Oosterbeek and Wolfheze. As the stumbling, bumbling efforts of Montgomery and his planners revealed themselves during our tour, a corresponding and visceral sadness was felt as I learned of the incredible courage and bravery displayed by the 1st Airborne and its Canadian and Polish comrades. Our trip coincided w the 69th anniversary of the drop and landings. As a result, I was wonderfully privileged to ,meet John a 90 yr old veteran of the 11th BN of the Airborne and his comrade Seamus who was an airborne gunner w the field artillery, assigned to this mission. (In their conversation, John told Murk that he had been wounded and captured in the Battle. Learning the designation of John's unit, Murk was able to tell John exactly where his unit, the 11th BN, was attacked and , most likely where he was wounded--Murk nailed it--it all happened in the street in front of St Elizabeth's Hospital ,in the City of Arnhem--John was wonderfully surprised at Murk's ability) We met these wonderfully fit 90 somethings at the beautiful and powerful CWGC cemetery at Oosterbeek where Dutch soldiers were preparing the grounds for the remembrance ceremony scheduled later in the day. We visited the cemetery, Murk said, because "we had to start at the end." Towards that purpose we slowly strolled through the gravestones as he "introduced" me to several individual heroes of the battle with the promise that "we would meet them later on in the day". And meet them we did. I could fill this review with a 1,000 words but let me cite one example of Murk's knowledge and depth of feeling for his subject. We got out of his car at the Wolfheze train station and walked down a former country road (now a no vehicle walking pat w the old asphalt still visible here and there) for about 2500 yards. This was the trail that C Troop of the 1st BN took as it searched for the best route into Arnhem---all was as it was in 1944. It was quiet as a church w only the sounds of birds disturbing the stillness. The railroad embankment was on the left as was a tunnel under the embankment, the very same one through which a SS Grenadier unit travelled to set up an ambush of the unwary Paras---and ambush them they did, killing every single British trooper. The tension was still palpable. We traveled another couple of hundred yards and, amazingly, we ran into 50 or 60 21st century German soldiers being lectured on the events that had occurred on this very spot 7 decades ago.

I could give another 10 examples of Murk's ability to make this all real for me.. He was spectacular.

Murk had picked me up at my hotel in Amsterdam at 9am and dropped be back at about 7pm. The charge was 125 Euros and was very, very reasonable.

I've been a casual student of the Battle for almost 40 years and thought I knew but I didn't know!! Anyway, I'd recommend reading Ryan's "Bridge Too Far" or, at least, seeing the movie beforehand..

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The communication with Murk before our trip to Amsterdam was excellent. We so appreciated the extra research he did prior to our trip which made the day so very personal for us. He even picked us up at our hotel! The travel in the country-side of Holland was beautiful. Murk took us to a great museum along with a fun lunch at a cafe. I am so glad I took notes while we traveled. Those notes and the photos we took have allowed us to re-live our "history" day in Holland. We are actually planning another trip to Amsterdam so we can take one of the other tours that Murk provides. Just do it!

1  Thank secretlakegirl