“"Amsterdam in The Golden Age" - A fascinating tour given by a great guide.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of History Trips

History Trips
Ranked #37 of 349 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Baltimore
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“"Amsterdam in The Golden Age" - A fascinating tour given by a great guide.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I took this guided tour with Murk at the beginning of our 4-day stay in Amsterdam in April, 2013. To be honest, it's the first time I've ever arranged such a tour; we usually find our own way around a city which we happen to be visiting, guide book in hand, but Murk had received such great reviews that I thought it would be a good idea to seek out his knowledge. I'm so glad we did; we saw and learned so much that we would otherwise have missed, and we came away with a much greater appreciation of the history, architecture and customs of this great city. Murk limits the numbers on his tour groups so that you really get to interact and ask questions; on this occasion, it was just the two of us with Murk. As retired teachers ourselves, we appreciated Murk's ability to make the subject matter extremely interesting and vivid. (Murk has over 30 years of experience as a History teacher, so he knows his subject matter thoroughly.) We spent 3 hours with him; he really went out of his way to impart his knowledge of the city to us. I can thoroughly recommend Murk as a great tour guide, one from whom you will learn a great deal, no matter which tour you choose to take with him.
Richard Johnson (Baltimore, MD, USA)

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Travlinbrit

Ourimbah, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Market Garden Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I did the one day Market Garden tour with Murk on the 5/3/13. Murk's knowledge of the battles that made this operation a "Bridge too Far" was incredible. We visited the drop zones and sites of the all the major battles including the Airborn museum and cemetery, a great day. If you are interested in following in the footsteps of those that took part in Operation Market Garden, there is no better person to do it with than Murk, he was outstanding.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank donos1
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Market Garden Tour: Awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

What can i say about Murk. Besides the fact that he was awesome! I mean i call up this guy basically the day before i am looking for a trip. We trade a ton of emails and logistical planning, and finally, decide on a way to get the job done. I meet him on the outskirts of Amsterdam at the tram, and off we go for an accelerated and last minute tour of the battle grounds. To say it was a joy was an understatement. We hit all the major areas, walked the same paths as the heroes who fought there, talked history all day long, shared a few laughs, and then parted ways after the bridge as I trained to the Hague from there. A nicer local I have not met, and a more experienced tour guide I have yet to encounter. If you're into military history, do this tour. it was by far the highlight of my trip!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Rob705
Pennington, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A fascinating day in Brugge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband, college-aged son and I spent a remarkable day with Murk in Brugge. We'd debated about taking the train and seeing this well preserved Medieval town on our own as our one day out of Amsterdam during a six night stay but decided that our visit would be more enjoyable with a guide-- and it certainly was! As someone else indicated, Murk picked us up promptly at our apartment and he was easy to talk with during the 3 hour car ride to Brugge. He and my husband spent some time discussing the Rolling Stones! In the US we think a building is old if it dates from the 1700s so we were awed by the buildings dating from much earlier. Standing in the middle of the Markt was breathtaking as were the sights around every corner. We learned so much about how trade flourished there and it was great hearing Murk's expertise on the Flemish Primitives.
It was definitely a long day but so worthwhile!!

3 Thank jescfc
never never land
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Perfect Historic day trip from Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I chose to do the battlefield tour of Operation Market Garden leaving from Amsterdam. Murk picked me up at my hotel in the center of Amsterdam and away we went. I thought this tour was especially appealing since I was by myself. We visited many sites in Holland pertaining to Operation Market Garden and Murk knew everything there was to know about them and we ended up spending the full day touring it all. Choosing to go with Murk was a great choice as it was more of a personable experience too. He told me about his personal experiences in the area and his love for music and all the places he has traveled to and his future trips he wants to set up. I could tell that Murk really enjoyed doing this tour even though I'm sure he has done it many times. I learned alot about Market Garden from this trip and I really thank Murk for this.

Visited November 2012