“Very good,very friendly,value for money”
Review of De Struisvogel

De Struisvogel
Ranked #77 of 3,855 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
antwerpen
“Very good,very friendly,value for money”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It wasn't our first time at the 'De Struisvogel' and it was very good again.
The formule is a very good idea,real value for money. The girls serving the food are very friendly and give you that at home feeling.It's a place to remember and to go back in A'dam.

• Visited December 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Good things come in small packages”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were at the end of a long day of touring and asked the hotel manager to suggest a nice spot for supper. She suggested this spot not too far away. We knew the area since we’d been by the area earlier in the day. We arrived at about the peak busy point. It appeared that all the tables were reserved. The place was full and the ambiance was lively but not to loud.

Luckily for us they squeezed all four of us in a small corner table that hadn’t been reserved. Space was tight. It’s a basement restaurant with small windows at street level. The space is very cosy and you can see the bar staff and the chef in the kitchen through the service door.

This place is small but as the title says good things come in small packages. The offerings come in the way of a 3 course menu with 3 or 4 items per course to choose. I had a pate with apricot salsa to start Scottish venison for the main and a Dutch Treacle waffle for desert. The food was well prepared and delicious.

I can safely say you won’t go wrong if you go here. But be sure to call and make a reservation because this spot is popular.

• Visited October 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Superb food, value and atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stumbled upon this gem three years ago while in town for a trade show. I am so glad I did, and have come back every time I am in town. The food is delicious, the selection wonderful, the staff friendly and the atmosphere cozy. Definitely one the top of my favorites list of all the places I have visited.

• Visited November 2013
“Not to miss in A'dam”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Many, many restaurants to choose from but for a very nice cozy evening in Amsterdam, stop by de Struisvogel. Saliva looked after us and the 25 EURO fixed menu was superb. Don't expect ostrich. I had the venison and it was excellent. Highly recommended for a quiet Dutch dinner in a beautiful area of Amsterdam.

Toronto, Canada
“Great food but no ostrich”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

One of my friends who used to work in Amsterdam recommended this restaurant for its ostrich steak. Unfortunately they did not have any ostrich at the moment due to bird flu in South Africa. I was disappointed but stayed anyways because the server was very friendly and helpful. I ordered from the prix fixe menu and was pleasantly surprised by the food - absolutely delicious! the portion was generous and the service was fast, it was amazing value for a great price! I would suggest anyone going for dinner to make reservation. I was in for Sunday dinner and the little restaurant was fully booked, and I watched about 10 groups of people being turned away during my quick dinner.

• Visited October 2013