WINNER WONDERLAND

Nam Kee Chinatown
Ranked #860 of 3,561 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Scary staff but good food!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Recommeded to us by locals, almost left within minutes of sitting down. Asked the waitress about the menu and she told us to look at the pictures on menu, not at all helpful!! We ordered and must say the food was excellent. Beware of asking staff for help!!

Visited January 2014

• Serbian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rockaway Park, New York
“Oysters in Black Bean Sauce: Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I usually go down to Chinatown in N.Y.C. quite a bit considering that I live in Queens.
I have to say that Nam Kee in Amsterdam is one of the best restaurants I have evere been to.
Did not get a chance to try everything, but I am sure that everything else on the menu has to be top notch.
Will be back on my next trip and maybe try something else but the oysters in black bean sauce and the duck with pancake was off the charts.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Wellington, New Zealand
“Amsterdam institution”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great value for money and always popular. There was line when we went but I can see why. Simple interior but the servings were large and enough to take home for a re-fry the day later.

Visited December 2013
Chennai (Madras), India
“Not So Great Food for a Good Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I dropped by for lunch just walking past China Town. The grilled meat display pulled me in. First thing you notice is that the restaurant gives a damp feel and has the stink of rotting food. The place was packed despite the nasty feel and so I thought that the food must be special. Sitting in a dirty table I asked for the complimentary hot tea (they don't offer this automatically to foreigners for some odd reason !!). I ordered a combination of grilled meat (bacon, red roast pork and duck). The jasmine tea was fantastic and balanced for aroma, color and flavor. The meat dish soon arrived and while the bacon was fantastic, I wouldn't say the same for the red roast pork and duck - they were very average, low on flavor and freshness. It cost me 11.50 Euros and so that is the only reason why I am not rating this as a poor experience - very reasonable price.

And I was observing some other dishes that were taken to other customers. No waiter has a smile. All of the dishes appeared brown and this usually means they have an overpowering effect of sauce which probably justifies other reviews which state that all the dishes taste the same. Chinese food must in fact be the exact opposite with very little sauce and lots of fresh ingredients - the best of Chinese food rely on flavors from freshness of ingredients.

To sum it up, if you have a keen sense of taste you might not like this place. If you are the type of person who is not so sensitive and can tolerate the poor ambiance and service, this might be worth 80% of what you end up paying. But you will not walk out smiling, you'll have to go elsewhere for that.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Ghent
“Truely enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Not accepting reservations is really good marketing. The restaurant is not that big. I think about 30 to 40 seats. So yes, we also had to wait in line, arriving around 18pm. After a 20 minute wait (4 tables waiting ahead of us, so about 5 minute per table wait) we were directed to our table.
They don't offer a classic rice table but you can make your choices and share as most people do. As we were 4 we had ample choice. We took the fantastic (and served very hot) oysters with black bean sauce with kroepoek as starter. Loved it. Than we took sweet and sour squid, chop suey with chicken, peking duck and babi panang. Topped it up with bami and nasi goring. Everything was fantastic. The duck could have done with some accompanying sauce and somewhat warmer.
For what concerns the service. We really liked the fact that it's fast and smooth and friendly. We where afraid about the interior after reading reviews but it's ok. The Chinese touch is in the food and the staff. The biggest surprice was the bill knowing how good and how much we ate for just under 75 euros for our family of four.
We would certainly recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles