“A bedroom with no proper bed”

Bilderberg Garden Hotel
Ranked #108 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked a room three weeks in advance, arrived on the day of my reservation, checked-in and went to my room, only to discover that my "deluxe double or twin room - one large double" (I quote from my reservation), was in fact the sitting room of a suite, with a large table, where a collapsible sofa-bed had been placed. Went down to the reception and asked for a room with a proper bed. Long discussion on what a bed actually is, which finally ended in their conceding that the hotel was full, and they had adapted the sitting room of a suite. Why give it to me who had booked three weeks in advance? "Because the management thought it was only for one night and you wouldn't mind" Insisted in having a room, smaller, bigger, whatever, but with a normal bed, no way. They offered a discount, which I turned down and volunteered to pay more if necessary, but to give me a room with a bed, which I thought was not asking too much.
Eventually they moved me out of the hotel, to the Hilton across the street. Which I recommend warmly.
Whereas regarding the Bilderberg palace, if you really have to book there, make sure there is a real bed in your bedroom.
Sole good thing: the young lady that took care of me at the reception was very nice.

Room Tip: if you really have to book there, make sure there is a real bed in your bedroom. (I enclose picture...
1  Thank RomaMurena
Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm not sure i can think of one positive thing to say about this hotel, except for the politeness of the staff. It is not 4* let alone 5. It resembles an old-peoples home (and the elevator smells as such). The rooms are ok, but of 3* standard. There is a 17€ charge for internet access, but the icing on the cake is the 17€50 charge for access to the fitness centre 'over the road'. I've never stayed in a 5* star hotel that charges for such facilities!

2  Thank OPlondon
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is ideally located in the nicer part of Amsterdam, near the Van Gogh and Stedelijk Museum. The entrance is ok and looks nice and modern. The staff is friendly as well. For a five star hotel I miss a lot of extra's: no pool, no fitness (available across the street for eur 17,50, far toonhigh a price), a small and too dark bar and lobby. The room itself was a bit outdated but nicely refurbished with a good bed (type boxspring). What struck me as odd for a five star hotel is the fact that my matras had a plastic cover, that is really very uncomfortable and warm. The bathroom is ok, but not all the plastwork was neatly done and I had to shower in the tub. Wifi was available in the room and roomservice was friendly and fast. I had the caesar salad which was good. If you can choose between this hotel or the Hilton next door, choose the latter!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Edo_Schilde_Belgie
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Bilderberg Garden. It's convenient during the IBC expo and a decent enough hotel. However during this stay I checked in normally and authorised a payment on my credit card for 50 EUROs per night and left my credit card on file as normal in most hotels worldwide. On our second night at the hotel, a colleague of mine had a complaint about pre-paying his full stay at the hotel after receiving a cryptic message to his room in the morning. Something that is unheard of in any hotel and so I went with him to the front desk. The concierge had no good explanation for this and got more and more rude trying to explain an unexplainable situation at which point we walked away trying to wait for a more convenient time to talk to hotel staff that could actually help. Minutes later my credit card was charged a no-show fee for the full stay at the hotel. A totally unauthorised charge and ridiculous considering I'm still staying at the hotel. Obviously a snap reaction and bad judgement by the concierge. But asking for the manager yielded no one and just even more rude reactions by the concierge for having been caught charging a no-show fee for now reason (He probably didn't realise I'd get immediate notification by my bank). This kind of behaviour is unacceptable in any hotel and totally insane. I do hope the hotel can fix this before I check out.

5  Thank forestliu
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

All hotels are outrageously expensive in Amsterdam, but at least this one makes you feel you are getting (almost) value. The service is good, wifi works perfectly, the location is excellent for getting from Schiphol (just one stop to Amsterdam Zuid then a 15 min easy walk), and exploring Amsterdam (20 min easy walk to the Rijksmuseum), and this is a VERY clean hotel. All in all, I would rate this higher than the Hilton across the street.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Proper hotel, 30 min walk to the city center. Good breakfast. I didn't have a dinner there myself, but my colleagues did and really liked it. But overall I would never give five star to it as it supposed to be, 4 max. The bed was really comfortable thought, which was surprising to me, because normally all hotels beds are kind of same, but in this one I had a really good sleep :D

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was a base for our romantic wedding anniversary weekend break. The location was good for us as close enough to tram which takes you everywhere you need to get to. It is in a quiet street away from all the noise. We didn't experience the food as we found some nice restaurants, cheaper in city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple