“Modern and cosy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern and cosy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

If you take the more expensive rooms, there are lovely.

Just be aware that from the third floor up, the windows are small, high (hard to see outside with standing on your tiptoe) and, worse, they don't open at all. The combination is that you feel like being in a shoebox.
It's a pity because everything is clean, good-taste deco and extremely professional staff (efficient, kind)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Bruno P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Could not have been happier selecting NH. The tram (#4 or #25) drops you off at the front door and they run about every 5-6 minutes to and from the Central Station and surrounding areas. Since the hotel is new everything is in great condition. The bed was the most comfortable bed my husband and I ever slept in as we are now trying to get one in the US. My only caution is the bedroom/bathroom window - the wall between is separated by a window shade and is otherwise open between so it is not the most private - make sure you are comfortable with your roommate.

Internet is free in the room and lobby and the hotel provide a MAC computer in the lobby for guest use for free.

Room Tip: I would not book a room on the lower level (-1 level) as you are underground with a small upper wind...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Especily and exclusive, I recomend for everybody, the service guess go anything do you want

• Stayed May 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We only stayed in this hotel one night after returning from a cruise out of Oslo. Loved the hotel, the automation features appealed to the Geek girl that I am, the location made me feel like I was part of the city and the staff and cleanliness of the room made me feel safe. Would definately stay here again. Convient to the trams which allowed you to move easily within the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great hotel in Amsterdam. Very clean, upscale rooms. Efficient staff and service. Within a 30 minute walk from just about anywhere you would want to go in the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LoreenOntario_Canada
Lake Orion, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a nicely decorated hotel which shows well at first sight. It is in a quiet location that is close to tram and metro stops. It is a short 10 min walk to the Heineken experience, museumplein with Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. It's also a lovely walk up the canals to the seven bridges area.

My biggest disappointment, and from reading other reviews I see I'm not alone, is accepting a room in the lower level of the hotel. I think this may be called the souleterrain. I booked a double deluxe room online which was $40 more than the single deluxe. My sole purpose was to avoid the lowest level based on other reviews.

I checked in early around 10am but since the hotel was sold out the previous night I registered and left my bags for the 3pm check in. Upon my return, I was brought to a room in the lower level. I told the lady checking me in that I had the deluxe room and that I had requested to be on an upper floor. She assured me this was the room I had booked. She also told me that the rooms on the upper floors were more expensive than the one I had chosen and that the top level was an executive suite. There were two room options online (not on Notting Hills website) and neither mentioned the lower level. Anyway, I accepted because I didn't know any better and it sounded as if the other rooms were significantly different.

This was a mistake. The room was really adorable and the pictures depict the nice welcoming decor. I loved the bed, the nespresso machine and the free wi-fi. I didn't like the location of the room at all! Inside, there was a sewer or canal sort of smell in the room. It wasn't constant but it seemed to come and go and was quite awful. Directly outside my window was the "garden" which was a small stone patio where the employees came to talk and smoke with coworkers. They were clearly visible through the curtain (I'm confident they could see in as well as I could see out) as they sat nearly on the window ledge. This was the "garden view."

The bar area was a nice spot to spend time surfing the web or chatting with friends. The staff was very nice and helpful. the breakfast buffet was good but you could also order eggs to your liking. I think the cost of 20€ was pricey.

Upon checkout the following day, I inquired about the rooms upstairs. After looking through booking papers, the employee realized that I had in fact been placed in the wrong room. When I told her I had paid $40 more she said oh no, its only 6€ difference. According to her, companies can post their own rates which are not the same as the hotel's rates. I understand that but $40 vs $10 seems drastic. She said she would be making a note in my file for the next time I stayed that MAYBE they would be able to do something nice for me. I honestly don't know that I'll come back. The physical aspects of the hotel were lovely but the failed customer service was very disappointing.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Rdy2CtheWorld_10
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I can highly recommend Hotel Notting Hill, it’s a gorgeous new hotel in a great part of Amsterdam, not too far from the main attractions but far enough to escape the crowds.

On arrival it was very busy as it was 11am and this is check out time. We were disappointed that after 10 mins of waiting another man was rudely allowed to jump the queue in front of us because he was a local speaking their language, this I found to be very rude and unprofessional of the hotel staff not to notice that we were waiting next to be served. After this blip the check in was smooth but the room wasn't ready because we were so early, instead we left our luggage and went off into the City.
When we arrived back later we found out that our room was downstairs in the basement when I had requested a high level room, when I went up to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available, I was told 'No this is the room you booked, our cheapest room, you did not pay for the more expensive rooms which are on a higher level.' I explained that I wasn't given an option to upgrade or chose which room rate I wanted to pay when booking online, but clearly told 'No you paid cheapest price and these rooms are all in the basement, we have no expensive rooms available till tomorrow and then it will cost you 55euros more' I felt the tone in which she spoke was as if she didn't think we could afford this. We decided to give the room a try as we had no other options, the room still was fine, not too big and enough for our 2 night stay just a bit dark and not nice having tables and chairs from the hotel bar right outside the window, but because it was quite cold thankfully no one sat there, I can imagine in the summer this can get busy because its next to the canal so could be noisy. The bed had the most comfortable mattress topper I've ever slept in and managed to get 2 good night’s sleep which is unusual for me as I don't sleep well in hotels due to noise. The bathroom was very modern and had a nice big shower in there, only disappointment which is minor was on the 2nd day when they cleaned the room they didn't replenish the shower cap and other toiletries we’d used the night before. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful and the staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Try to find the option to allow you to chose a room on a higher level, I imagine in the summer being...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NCL19
NottingManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Notting Hill, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving us your comment. Your feedback is very helpful and valuable for us to optimize our service.
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced that an associate has approached you wrongly, by not asking whether you would like to have an upgrade to a higher floor; and that this has come across completely wrong. This is not how we treat our guests and therefore I do apologize about this situation! We will share your experience with the team.
Our aim is to fulfill wishes as good as possible.
I hope that despite of this, you have enjoyed your stay.

Best regards