“Private tour”

Private Holland Tours
Ranked #62 of 390 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Holland Tours is specialized in affordable private guided tours for active singles, couples, families and small groups. I heartily welcome travelers from all countries of the world.My walking tours in Amsterdam often depart from the usual tourist routes, showing you the medieval city. Driving through the countryside I usually take the small scenic roads, thus giving you a better sense of Holland's rural environment.Professionalism, care and fun, plus my friendship are the cornerstones of my tours.Raymond Vandenburg, private driver/guide.
USA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Private tour”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Thought this would be a nice way to see places in Holland that we would never get to. Although a bit pricey (that may be the downside) we had Ray all to ourselves. We took one of his recommended tours through several little towns. Beautiful to see the countryside and he explained history of the towns, etc. In one of the towns he took us to a wonderful restaurant. Food and service very good and priced reasonable too. We spent from 9-4(ish) with him. Our last stop was the "tourist" place for cheese, windmills and wooden shoes. I did like that - to see how everything is made, but found the countryside trips nicer (more culture/history). But this was a great blend of both and we definitely wouldn't have found these places without him.

Ray was fun and witty.....and apparently has written his own mystery book (congrats Ray).

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Not as Represented”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Ray is an arrogant, bordering on boorish, personality who is more of a transporter, than informative tour guide. Our first day with Ray's son, Leo, was satisfactory. touring the region around Amsterdam, but his warning "my Father is hard of hearing, and old" was accompanied by " don't be late meeting him" set the stage. Ray is nearly deaf, and imposes on you to "speak up" as though addressing small children. Our trip to Bruges was tiresome; he has no problem in making inappropriate comments, and seems to just be waiting to attack any statement that doesn't fit his view of how you should see Amsterdam. If your interest is in a trip to Bruges, take the bus. You will likely learn more, and will not have to endure a self-centered curmudgeon who does not seem to have much interest in his job.

Visited May 2013
41 Thank carolynb62
Canfield, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A fun day in Amsterdam!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and two children (ages 8 and 10) took a train from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam for the day. We hoped for a nice overview of the area in a day, so we booked the combination B tour with Ray. Ray is a very well read, intelligent man and his knowledge of the area is superb. My husband enjoyed discussing politics with him, among other things. I was a little disappointed because we briefly stopped for a windmill picture at Zaanse Schans, but that was it! We did not realize we were there (so I did not even know to ask or complain) and so we missed the wooden clogs and cheese making. I told Ray my daughter wanted clogs earlier, so I am not sure why we skipped actually walking around this beautiful area since it was clearly on our booked itinerary. I would book with Ray again, but I would review the itinerary with him in advance to confirm that we are on the same page, so that we would not miss stops that were important to us. We spent a lot of time waiting in line for Anne Frank museum (our choice) so we ran out of time to go on the canal boats which was a disappointment. I wish we would have spent less time looking at cows (we have a lot in Ohio) so we would have had time to enjoy the canal boats...again I think it is important to let Ray know your must-sees before you start the tour. Overall, a good day. A beautiful city.

Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ra(y)ve Reviews”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We ( a group of four consisting of three generations) were blessed to have Ray as a guide for two days in Belgium and one for a tour outside of Amsterdam. It was wonderful to sit back and let Ray handle the details, transportation and tours.....but better yet he became part of our group! Professionally, he was very well informed of all the locations we visited and we so appreciated him editing out sites that we wouldn't enjoy and adding ones we would. He was funny, professional and family by the end of the tour. Wish we had scheduled him for Amsterdam. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a tour in the area.

San Jose, California, United States
“Family tour”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

In celebration of our 50th anniversary my husband and I brought our family (4 other adults and 4 children, ranging in age from 5-17) to the Netherlands to see where the grandkids' great-grandfather was born in Amsterdam. We also wanted to take them on a tour of Madurodam, which our children visited when they were young, and the area around Wassenaar.

Ray was a great tour guide, adjusting the schedule activities, and meals to the needs and wishes of a large group of diverse ages, and keeping us well informed about the geography and culture of the Netherlands. He also answered our many questions. His knowledge, friendliness, and sense of humor were much appreciated by the whole family.

We highly recommend Ray's tours!

Anna van Raaphorst Johnson, San Jose, California USA