“You will go further and fare worse...”
Review of L'Express - CLOSED

L'Express
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Relaxed atmosphere, good food, friendly staff, what's not to like?
Is it a five star? No but it's worth a visit.
As this review must be 100 characters, here is some Latin

Nil satis nisi optimum

1  Thank Whydoineed

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had the 3-course menu @ 26.50, the meal was 'good value' but cooking lacked 'conviction' ...
starter garlic shrimps were tough (they should use 'uncooked' rather than 'cooked' frozen shrimp).. cranberry sauce for duck mains was unsieved, thus loads of 'pips' to get through .. any amateur chef watching TV regularly will know that a good sauce needs to be sieved... tiramisu (not quite french) dessert tasted 'acceptable, similar to supermarket versions', thus hardly 'home-made' ...
side salad should use mesclun, not iceberg...
chances are, the chef(s) are not french 'natives', thus the 'melange' that passes for french cooking, 'hits and misses' throughout the meal...
waiting staff were 'very nice', thus 'nice place, shame about the food'...

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I ate here with my partner on Sunday 16th February 2014.

Looking down the reviews I struggle to see why mine is so different. I do not have unreasonably high expectations.

From the outside it looked like a quaint and cosy restaurant, the menu looked quite nice. Atlas, this is where the positives ended. Entering we were ushered to a choice of tables towards the back of the restaurant. Whilst I appreciate there is a language barrier and my Dutch is dreadful the demeanour of the waiter was dreadful. He was sulking moody and just unpleasant. When it came to service he could not even poor wine without spilling it. Apparently Sunday night is the B team.

The food was no better. Sadly, the table I was in had a view inside the kitchen so I could see how frequently the microwave was in use. The starters were dreadful and showed no enthusiasm for food at all. Tortellini and mushrooms with brie if you are looking to stay clear of them. The main courses were little better, with the same cheese sauce from the pasta making a reappearance on the vegetables. Over priced wine. I really am struggling to find a glimmer of hope.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We ate in this restaurant tonight. I can honestly say this was one of the highest quality meals I've eaten in a long time. The choice was good, the quality of food was excellent. I have a healthy appetite & the portions were generous. Service was attentive and our comments were clearly appreciated. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

L'Express is in a street with several good restaurants, and in my opinion it's one of the best. The food and service is consistently good. Sometimes, eating out in Amsterdam can be pricey, but L'Express keeps its prices very reasonable, with well-prepared, tasty French style food and wine. Mouss is a great host and has an excellent team.
They do a "Theatre menu" for early diners who have cinema or concert plans for the evening and don't want to linger. Otherwise, service is nice and relaxed, just right.
We've been coming here since it opened and always look forward to our next visit.