“Smashing, family-run place.”
Review of L'Express - CLOSED

L'Express
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Smashing, family-run place.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

It was my birthday in Amsterdam and I was staying at the ITC hotel round the corner. This restaurant was just up the road towards the city centre, I'd never heard of it before and popped in for the set menu, three courses and a bottle of Merlot.

Food was fantastic, service was lovely, warm and attentive, bread was fresh (can't stand stale bread in restaurants) and the bill was perfectly reasonable. I was so impressed I went back the next night, my birthday. I told the French maître d' it was my birthday, not angling for anything but just because he remembered me from the previous night, he even remembered where I sat!

I had another set menu, goats' cheese starter, steak with pepper sauce and gorgeous vegetables, ice cream and chocolate sauce and another bottle of Merlot.

Service was brilliant again ( I think the gentleman's niece served me charmingly), bill was reasonable again, then the maître d' approached after I'd paid the bill and asked if I would like a drink on the house. I was amazed, that's never happened before (although once in Krakow on my birthday I was dining with friends and a string quartet started playing happy birthday. I blushed with pride and gratitude and then realised they were playing for someone else! Embarrassing!)

I agreed to a brandy and the gentleman poured a cognac and then, get this, warmed it for me by a candle!

Best meal I've had for ages, best service I've had for ages, best regards to the staff and I hope 2014 is fantastic for you all.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bill B

• Polish first
Province of Bari, Italy
“Very good french cuisine in Amsterdam”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

When you eat French cuisine, generally you leave the table with a bit of appetite. Not at L'Express, where we found good plates, with respectable quantities, even from a fixed price menu whee you can choose from 4 starters, 4 main courses and 4 desserts. All very delicious indeed. The personnel was friendly.

Visited December 2013
Southend, United Kingdom
“French Restaurant - superb and not too expensive”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Two fixed menues Eu22 and Eu26 or al la carte. We went a la carte - 3 courses + wine +good tip about EU55.
Food was excellent, well presented and there was a carafe of water, french bread, garlic butter and olives for no extra charge. Staff were efficient, helpful and happy. The Orange juice was freshly squeezed. A lovely find. Would highly recommend.
PS: the seats at the back of the restaurant were like an old pullman train and the etchings on the wall in the same vein. Lovely atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
Newbury, United Kingdom
“The place to eat French in Amsterdam”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

A cosy restaurant with a good atmosphere and good service. Just like any good french restaurant the menu was a choice of two set menus or a la carte. The food was a very high standard and although we felt that even the house wine was on the expensive side it was good quality. For the main course the (new) waitress took my order down incorrectly and I ended up with the wrong meal. When I pointed this out I was told I could continue to eat it if I wished while they prepared the correct dish. I had two excellent main courses. All in all a really great place to eat. The only negative would be to say that some of the tables were very close and there was little room to move my chair back with the rather large person that was sat behind me.

• Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Great quality, great value, nice ambiance”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were recently in Amsterdam on a short break and found it difficult to find reasonably priced restaurants with quality food. This restaurant ticked all the boxes for us. Very varied menu and wine list - we had a bottle of the house red for €19 which was a lovely wine,we were very pleasantly surprised by its quality, the server even allowed us to taste the wine before making our selection. The jug of water provided was icey cold and refreshing. I had the lamb shank which was superb,served with delicious cauliflower, potatoes & gravy. Although we were the only couple in the restaurant as it was late on a Sunday night the place was filled with ambiance, I can't imagine how nice it is when full if it was that pleasant when empty. Also, I noted that we could see the chef at work and he seemed to keep the cleanest kitchen going - always gives me peace of mind. Highly recommend this place.

Visited October 2013