“Excellent local restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

de zagerij
Ranked #611 of 3,725 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Excellent local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Pleasant small restaurant in the Jordaan. High quality food served by very friendly staff. Nice small wine list. I ate there twice on a recent visit, and they remembered me the second time. The first evening I had the duck breast, which I loved, but some people may have found a little rare. It was not cheap, but acceptable value.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Greater Perth, Australia
“Good food cooked well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Busy restaurant with lots of locals there when we visited on a wet night in May. We had the lamb and it was cooked perfectly. Not a wow factor restaurant but good solid food. Limited selection of wine. Recommended

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere but underhand service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My family and I had an evening meal at De Zagerij. The atmosphere was lively and the food good. Unfortunately the chef/waitress served a tiny, overcooked, fillet steak to my wife and refused to do anything when we complained. Pity.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Tastiest meals I've had in a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stumbled onto Westerstraat by accident in the hunt for a nice restaurant during our four night break in Amsterdam and we are so glad we happened to find De Zagerij.

Our second night in Amsterdam, we wandered in due to my partner spying a much craved Angus Burger on the menu. The restaurant was very quiet with only one or two other locals propped up the bar so we were not holding out much hope for a decent meal but boy were we wrong! My partner predictably ordered the Angus Beef Burger with fries while I opted for the Lamb Cutlets with roasted pepper, potatoes and garlic gravy. The only way I can describe the lamb is divine! It was cooked perfectly with the centre still pink and the meat melted in the mouth. I was so busy devouring mine, I barely gave my partner a look until we had both finished and he described his burger in pretty much the same light! Having enjoyed our meals we opted for dessert, with my partner choosing the dessert of the month; a beautifully presented Tiramisu. I went for the Apple pie served with Cinnamon ice cream and was in heaven! I have never tasted cinnamon ice cream before but will definitely be on the look out for it in future - it accompanied the apple pie perfectly.

We enjoyed the first night so much that for our last night before departure we decided to revisit De Zagerij. Our second visit was on a busier night with many of the tables taken. We decided to try a three course meal which was advertised as a set 28.50 euros per person (although two main dishes had a 4 euro supplement due to the cut of meat used). I thought this to be a really good deal for the quality of food served. My partner opted for Turkish meatballs starter followed by Spare Ribs with fries and finishing with lemon cheesecake with strawberry sorbet. He enjoyed the lot although was particularly impressed with the ribs, which were served with a little lemon finger dip - a nice touch that is not always thought of by restaurants. I decided to start with patty with meat stew and cranberry compote (a bit like a deconstructed meat pie) which was delicious but the star of the show was the Beef Fillet with truffle and mushroom sauce. The fillet was again cooked perfectly and tasted delicious with the sauce. Although served with fries, I think I would have been fine with a few more of the green beans under the steak instead. I opted for pancakes for dessert, which were presented with vanilla ice cream wrapped inside and chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.

The service was great with the waitresses all attentive and eager to please. The price was quite good in comparison to the standard of the food. We were extremely pleased!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank stacey h
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice place, good lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had the lunch sandwich of the day which was a carpaccio sandwich. It was great :) it cost EUR 7,50. We also asked for the shrimp kroketten of the famous Holtkamp store. with bread they cost EUR 8,- but we had them dor EUR 2,- each. If you wabt to try ask them to get them seprate! the shrip kroketten were disapointing, simply because they tasted to fishy and were deep fried in old oil! So not worth the money in this case! Locals and tourist are visiting these place, it's a fun place. Today it took a long time to get lunch about 40 minutes :(

• Visited December 2013