“Good food, a little cramped.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Blauw Amsterdam
Ranked #131 of 3,729 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barnet, United Kingdom
“Good food, a little cramped.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

This restaurant always seems busy. You must book ahead as it is very popular. There are several throughout The Netherlands, which indicates it is quite good.
The food is well spiced; the Rijsttafel is interesting and plentiful. We felt a bit squashed in where we sat but it added to the atmosphere. It is not in central Amsterdam so you need to take a tram or taxi to get there; it is a few stops beyond museum square.
Two rijsttafel and a bottle of wine came to 75 euros.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
“Nice ambience, good service and well presented tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Went without a reservation on a Wednesday night, although it was busy we got lucky and they found us a table (it was fully booked - so make a reservation). The servers were very friendly and helpful, we shared 4 starters between 3 of us and they were all very nice but not outstanding - the batter on the loempia was very crisp and dry and not at all greasy. The main I had rendang was very good - highly spiced and tender beef - very good. The overall experience was very good and I would recommend to you if you are staying in the area but I would necessarily make a special trip here.

• Visited November 2013
Berlin, Germany
“Indonese rice table - just "yammi yammi"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

You can reach the "Blauw" with tram No. 2 or walking (ca. 20 minutes from the Concerthall). Reservation highly recommended. Food was exellent, service friendly and nice. We spent 40,- €/Person, drinks included

Visited November 2013
Norfolk
“A zoo on my plate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

In common with most, we had the 'rice table.' Meat for me and veg for her. Fish, chicken, pork, goat and beef, plus more beef and some veg. Plus rice of course.

Nice touches: crispy nibbles on arrival & great staff.
Less appealing: floor felt sticky underfoot and our table was in what Londoners euphemistically call a 'lower ground floor' so little to look at apart from each other and the menagerie on my plate.

Would I go again? You bet, it was excellent!

Visited October 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Rijsttafel heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stopped over in Amsterdam for dinner with one thing on my mind, a rijsttafel. Lacking a reservation)I'd recommend one, the friendly staff quickly seated me upstairs along a balcony with a view overlooking the dining room below. Even the shrimp puffs were awesome. The flavors were exactly what I wanted, but the presentation and meal exceeded my expectations. The curries, satte, and variety were terrific. The attentive staff checked in on me frequently and I enjoyed my dishes while watching the dining room fill to capacity, quickly. This is a destination restaurant for those seeking a terrific Indonesian meal in this gorgeous city. Cheers.

• Visited October 2013