“Friendly staff, clean rooms”

Hotel Restaurant Larende
Ranked #38 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Location of the hotel is excellent. There is a tram stop near hotel (2 min walk). It is possible to travel by three tram lines (12,13,14) to different parts of the city. It takes at most 10 minutes to access the attractions of the city.
Staff is very welcoming and friendly.
The hotel and the room were very clean.
Wi-Fi is super.
Breakfast is good.
This hotel is worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank FezaIstanbul

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

I was here with my wife and baby for a 2 night stay having got a good deal on booking dot com. It's only a short tram ride from Amsterdam Central. The guy at the reception was helpful in explaining the attractions close to the hotel. I would highly recommend getting a 2 day tram pass as it's very good value for getting around the city. There were also a number of cafés close by offering great food like cafe thuys and bar spek. Great inhouse breakfast made daily at the Hotel. Murat was a good host. Will highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not a picky hotel guest. I am really surprised that my experiences have been a lot worse than the (overall) opinions about the hotel

I stayed in January 2014, booked via booking.com I never got round to paring my comments from booking.com over here. So here goes:

- The hotel wasn't too far from the city centre: 5-10 minutes by tram or 10-20 min walk.

- A continental breakfast (meat, cheese,eggs, cereal etc) is included in the tariff

- There is wifi in the room.

- The prices of soft drinks in the mini bar seemed reasonable

HOWEVER....

I would not recommend this hotel because, although they advertise nice features (whirlpool bath etc), they cannot get the basics right.

Those gold cushions in the advertised photo turned out to be one dirty cushion with hairs from goodness knows where

In had a double bed with just one pillow in the middle! When I checked the wardrobe there a dirty lumpy pillow with no cover. When I mentioned to reception in the morning, they suggested I got up tot he third floor, find the chamber mains and ask another pillow.. yeah

There is no phone to ring reception for any reason.

The (only) glass in the room was not changed. Normally you get a wine glass and a water glass, but not at this place. When I went downstairs to get a clean one myself, I mentioned it at reception. The guy just laughed and said condescendingly "what do you expect me to do"

The whirlpool bath had flimsy sides and was held up by a wooden block

They supply slippers, a nice touch. However, the bath mat was torn and frayed on day 1. On day 2 it was replaced with a dirty, stained mat. As the stains were visible when folded face up, House-keeping could not have missed that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank MissThing606
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We only stayed at Hotel Larende for one night but it was very enjoyable our room was on the 2nd floor facing the street which gave us a nice look from the balcony. We found the room very quiet even in the morning when the Trams were running. Very nice staff and great value. The Breakfast was a nice assortment of meats, eggs fruit, bread and juices. all we needed to start the day. we also rented bike right from the hotel which was very convenient. Great location close to many cafes and shops and also nice walking distance to the main parts of Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Restaurant Larende for 2 nights in late June. The room (103) was really nice. In the back, so it was very quiet, and with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was also very nice. The breakfasts were great, with many choices for some one who is gluten free like me. They even brought me gluten-free bread and crackers and cookies. The people at the desk were extremely helpful. We got our tickets to the museums there, so at the museums we were in the fast lines. It is easy to get to, although a little way out from central Amsterdam. We took the train from the airport into Central Station, and took the tram from there. Would definitely stay there again when we go back to Amsterdam. There is also a very good Italian restaurant down the street, Cantinetta Wine and Pasta (No. 105). They also had gluten-free pasta. The wait may be rather long if you don't have reservations, but you can walk down around 5 and make a reservation for later.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spicolo
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Very glad I chose this hotel. The location was slightly outside of the hustle and bustle of the city centre, but the tram to central is just a few minutes walk away. The neighbourh is lovely, and I wish we'd had more time to explore the surrounding.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have just left this hotel, after a really nice stay. It is a small hotel; basic, but clean, friendly, with a really nice staff. I'd recommend it strongly, as offering excellent value. It is in a nice part of the town, with reasonable places to eat nearby (I particularly enjoyed a small Indonesian restaurant). It also offers good food at its own restaurant, with a 10% discount for residents. The breakfast (included) is also good.

A few tips/suggestions. I got a really good rate, by booking a long time ahead through the hotel's own web site. I was in a single room at the front of the hotel. This was noisy - in part because the Dutch had just won a football match, but more important because of the trams that go past the front and because of motor scooters. Another time, I'd request - but it would cost a bit more - a room at the back.

Other points: the hotel can book you a very good taxi rate to the airport - e28 rather than the e43 which is what is often charged.

I will certainly be back - but also at the back rather than the front of the hotel, if I can.

Room Tip: As I have indicated in the main part of my review, the single room that I had overlooking the street...