All reviews gay clubs en suite bath great location the main hotel cold cuts first floor central location major attractions clean hotel enjoyed my stay leidsestraat city apartment tram proximity
Reviewed October 6, 2005

The Amistad Hotel in Amsterdam is by far the best place to be in town. Centrally located and within walking distance from all main historical sites, restaurants, bars and clubs. Because it is at the same time at a charming quiet street, you get the best of an excellente location without the noise of the large streets (no tram ringing the bell at 6 am at your window!). The owners, Johan and Jost, have renovated a historical house that mixes both the charm of being in the historical district with all the modern comforts and impeccable décor. The crew working at the Amistad is helpful and friendly and will see that you plunge in the wonders of this fantastic city as if you had always lived there. Amsterdam, and The Amistad, are certainly my favorite places outside home.

5  Thank Omaromar
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Our first time in Amsterdam, we got so much help and information. The staff sent us to all the right restaurants and clubs. Nothing was too much to ask for ! Rooms are clean and simple. Location couldn´t be better. Staff is very helpull, especialy Dicky. Will come back soon.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank BoardingPass37634
Reviewed July 8, 2005

My partner and I stayed at one of the apartments which was described as "luxurious." Well, it really was. So beautiful, modern, comfortable and quiet. It felt really like home. The management and staff of the Amistad are first rate. They were very professional, courteous, informed and truly made our stay a wonderful experience. They are so eager to please, yet not intrusive. Joost had gave us some great ideas for site seeing, Johan, Dikky and Mike were awesome. What really impressed me is the cleanliness of not just our aprtment but the hotel as well (we took a tour.) I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank FarAway30240
Reviewed June 29, 2005

Coming to Amsterdam for a long time now but could never find a free room in the Amistad Hotel. Now I know why !!!
It is very clean ( my first priority in every hotel ) , staff is friendly and helpful with lots of contacts if you need connections to events, gym , restaurants ... , and the location is just perfect too.
I am traveling all over the world and stayed in many hotels. In Amsterdam I would rate the Amistad Hotel excellent compare to the price you pay there and I guess many other guests too , otherwise it would not be fully booked all the time !

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank Stay20699
Reviewed June 22, 2005

This place really does not live up to the website. The rooms tend to be undersized, even by European standards, and the stairs endless... being a mountain goat would be beneficial. Bathrooms are NOT all on the floor of your room and, in fact, may be a full floor and a half removed ...and tiny to boot. The breakfasts are limited in scope, toast, cheese and cereal(cold) in a shop-worn kitchen, other B&B's offer much better selection for the money. And more attractive surroundings.

It's really a bit of an insult to gay travelers to assume that we're not asking for quality for our money and that just because it's closer than some to the gay area, that that covers up for what the hotel lacks. When you have to advertise the hunkiness of the managers and not the quality of the hotel.... RED ALERT! (Besides there are a lot of cuter guys around the city. Try Thermos Sauna)

If you do decide to try it, be forewarned. Be very specific in your questions. "Is the bathroom on the actual floor?(If not in-suite)" "Can you stand-up in all of the room?"(No Joke. The roof slant in our room, on both sides, limited where you could stand. We could stand up in only about 60% of the room. A neighbors had a long narrow room where the roof slant took up even more space.) I would also have the address of a back up hotel just in case you don't like what you see.... which will likely be the case unless you book one of their special suites.

9  Thank Navigate30401