“THE BEST IN AMSTERDAM”
Review of Cocomama

Cocomama
Ranked #24 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The title says it all. The best location, the best people, the best atmosphere, the best cat, the best beds...just.. THE BEST.

The kitchen facilities are actually functional and useful - 2 stoves, an oven, microwave, big fridge, toaster, bread box, pantry, oil for cooking as well as free rice/pasta if you're starving and have the munchies.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, comfy and cozy. There is no 'bad room' in this place.
Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank The_Dude2013

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Cocomama for one week of fun and friend making bliss. The hostel ha a very homely feel and the staff were both friendly and helpful. Te location was a perfect distance out of te hustle and bustle that comes with tourists coming to Amsterdam to frequent the red light district and coffee shops by was still close enough if you felt like doing that too :) would definitely recommend and stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel. The crew was amazing and extremelly helpful. They even organise a familiar dinner and gave me lots of useful tips about amsterdam and the area. If you can try and avoid the touristy hostels do it and stay at beautiful cocomama !!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at Cocomama for four nights in the shared two-bed room and had a wonderful stay. I had the room to myself the first two nights, which was really nice, but even with a roommate it was perfectly great. My bed was very comfortable, the room was nice and warm, and the bathroom was very clean with a good shower. My only qualm would be that the room was a little small for two people; luckily I didn't need spend much time there, and there is a nice common area with a well-equipped kitchen. I didn't use the kitchen but I imagine it would be a great resource for anyone who needs it; pasta, etc is free, and there is an "honesty bar" where you leave money in a piggy bank and take your beer or what have you. The staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful, and the hostel is a pretty good location, although to walk to the Jordaan or the city centre is definitely a bit of a walk. Just FYI - the walls are pretty thin and there were people coming in/out at all hours, so there was quite a bit of noise within the hostel. Also, the tram goes right past, so that causes some noise as well. I'm lucky I'm a heavy sleeper! All in all, though, a great stay. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2013

CocoMama was the best hostel that I staye at during my five month vacation through Europe. The staff were incredibly helpful and tried their best to learn everyone's name and be helpful. Joop, the hostel cat, was great entertainment - he had every person who was staying in the hostel trained to open the door for him whenever he pleased. He was also very funny during feeding time, went a bit crazy.

The atmosphere in this hostel is what got me though. There are so many like-minded people staying here. Most nights, we had the entire hostel on some adventure or another. We even had the owner join us one night out at a concert! They are also always planning outings of their own. I found most people are staying here are solo travellers, so it was nice of them to offer the social option.

The rooms themselves are great (minus the plethora of breasts that greeted me every morning). The beds are really sturdy wood bunks, so you are very unlikely to wake your bunkmate if you're getting home late at night. The bathrooms are beautiful and everything is cleaned every day.

The location is a bit outside of the center, but we walked back and forth every day, no problem.

I literally have told anyone I met along the way to stay at this hostel. I hope they all did, and had as an amazing time as I did!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one of the non-red light rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in the private room for one night, so i havent spend a lot of time here. However, the welcome was warm, the kitchen and commonroom looked cozy and with nice facilities, and it was clean. I have been in amsterdam quite a bit, and usually the hostels and hotels are overpriced and rundown. This one is actually not too expensive and you get a great deal for your money. The private room was such a pleasant surprise, great bed, cute with the tuliptheme, nice shower.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at Cocomama with my friend when we did our summer trip to Europe. The location was great because it wasn't a seedy area and it was quiet at night. It was still close enough to walk most places, or take the tram. We stayed in the tulip room, downstairs, which was small but very clean, comfy beds, clean bathroom. The girls at the front desk were friendly and answered all questions we had. We had a great stay here. I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: the room we had was on the street-side and it was slightly noisy, not enough to bother us, but might...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends