“Homey Hostel”
Review of Cocomama

Cocomama
Ranked #23 of 238 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I don't typically preach the hostel gospel, nor do I particularly enjoy hostels, but Cocomama is a really nice experience. I loved the cat, Yurp-- So cute! The kitchen felt like a home away from home-- there were games and DVDs for you to use, and they provide all cooking implements, a fridge to store your food, and best of all, free pasta! There was also a super cute garden outside the kitchen to hang out in if you wanted to enjoy the weather. The staff was super, super friendly and helpful-- they gave us a map and told us where all the main sights were, let us print our tickets to the Anne Frank museum, and let us store our luggage below stairs after checkout.

My only quibble with this place is that all the dorms are mixed gender. As a female traveler traveling only with another female friend, this was a bit of a challenge for us. So, if you're not comfortable with this but still want to stay here, I'd try and book a private room, if there's one available. (We didn't book far enough in advance for this, though).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Artist331z
There are newer reviews for Cocomama

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Cocomama is definitely one of the nicest hostels you can get. It's located in a great area, about ten minutes away from Museumplein and near several supermarkets and cafes. The staff is very friendly and willing to answer all questions. They even let us print tickets for the Anne Frank Museum and gave us great directions around the city.
The real gem of Cocomama however, is their wonderful kitchen. It feels like going to an actual home, as there are cozy couches, a garden outside, and very sweet and cuddly cat! They also provide free pasta to cook, along with a fully stocked kitchen if you want to make your own lunch or dinner. They also have DVDs, board games, and books.
The only drawback of this hostel was that all of the rooms are coed, and there is no option for male or female only dorms. Other than that, our stay was lovely and I would definitely recommend Cocomama to anyone who wants a pleasant, affordable stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Me and my friend stayed at cocomama for 4 nights, we are both 24 and went on a little break away to amsterdam to do the usual things, coco mamas has such a lovely vibe about it, we met other travellers from around the world, and chose to actually stay in the communal living room kitchen area on a couple of occasions at night as it was such a great place to be. the showers are powerful, we shared the canal themed room with two other travellers, the rooms are small, but the beds are sooo comfy and the duvets are really warm, and good quality. I have told all my freinds to stay at coco mama if they ever go to Amsterdam... its so nice, and i will 100% be going back!!! oh also it was really clean, and the kitchen (which is also lovely) has two fridges, one honesty fridge, which is stacked with beer and wine, a glass of wine or a beer is 1 euro. the other fridge is for your own food if you want to cook there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed in the tulip room (downstairs) and it was very clean. The room is average size for amsterdam and perfect for 2 people. The bathroom had all new fixtures and while it wasnt huge, it was much better than most hostels where you dont have a private bath. I didnt see any of the other rooms, so I cannot comment on them.

I stayed in Amsterdam about 3 years ago, and stayed at 2 other hostels, so I have some comparison. Cocomama was extremely clean, the staff was extremely friendly. The common area/kitchen/garden were all great too. The location isnt 'down town' per se, but its a 5 min tram ride from just about anywhere youd want to go. As a plus, it doesnt come with the noise, crime, seedy creatures of the hostels that are closer to the train station. It also Its close to the 2 night life areas with the clubs and restaurants, there are some coffeeshops walking distance if thats your thing, there are markets, ATMs, and all of the necessities.

I liked the hostel a lot and this would be my first option for booking if i make it back to amsterdam again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daavek
Reviewed October 5, 2011

me and my boyfriend were in amsterdam for the weekend we stayed in this hostel and it totally felt like home, we hardly wanted to leave the hostel to check out the city.

This hostel is so comfortable, it feels like home away from home.
people working there are really friendly and helpfull with everything, whether you need advise about where to go in town or when you are in need for aspirines.

they have a big living room where u can relaxed at the comfortable couches, watch tv, listen music or play games. its a great hang out to meet up with other guests aswell, they have a big open kitchen you can use with lots of supplies for free.

also the room we had was amazing, the royal room, it had a big round super comfortable bed and the whole room was decorated in royal style. perfectly clean. bathroom with shower and toilet in the room aswell.

i def will come here again when i go to amsterdam, its a great place and really in the city centre

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2011

i was very pleased with this hostel, though the people i met really put it over the top, and that has little to do with the hostel itself. however, it was clean, the staff were all really nice. the kitchen/common area was super cute. will stay again if returning to amsterdam for sure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stumbled upon Cocomama last year while trying out new hostels in Amsterdam, my favourite city in the world. I can safely say it is the most comfy, clean, and hospitable hotel/hostel I've ever come across. I work in the travel industry, for the last 10 years, and have stayed in over 100 hostels, 15 different ones in Amsterdam alone, until I found this gem. The staff immediately make you feel right at home and show you around the common room, which is meticulously cleaned twice a day by the staff. Although being a bit messy myself, I really appreciate how clean and new the kitchen and cutlery was. Never once did I smell that musty or moldy smell common in so many hostel kitchens. You know the one I'm talking about.

I could go one about the included pasta, the homey common room,the big comfy mattresses, the themed rooms or the beautiful back garden, but ultimately it was the staff that really made my stay unforgettable. Being a quite busy and popular hostel, they were usually quite busy, but still had time to strike up a conversation, and to come out with the guests on more then a couple occasions.

I personally take issue with the previous review on here, working in the industry, I know what personality types are out there, and some people aren't happy unless they are complaining, or get into a negative mindset once one thing isn't to their liking. To those I say: stay home.

I've enjoyed myself so much there, that I've returned a couple times, and only stay somewhere else when I feel that I must keep expanding my knowledge of the city. Otherwise I've never felt more at home.

Room Tip: The room with the two single beds seems like best bang for buck, although the red light room is cool...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo