“Nice & cosy with good food”
Review of Matias

Matias
Ranked #3,398 of 4,301 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Next to the vibrant Leidseplein you can find de Mexican oasis MATIASMatias has the look & feel of a real Mexican Cantina: Cozy, pleasant and affordable. Our friendly staff offers a great variety of Mexican dishes and drinks.Matias is also a great place to have a good cocktail, so start your evening with a delicious Margarita and enjoy the night as if you were in Mexico.If you are with a large company or just with some friends, just come in and try one of our real Mexican dishes or a nice grilled steak. We will make sure you have a wonderful evening out!
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stopped in here by chance looking for some mexican food. The food was very tasty and the service was excellent. The price wasnt too bad either! I would def recommend this restaurant but wont go back again!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We definitely would not recommend Matias restaurant to anyone. The prices were high, the service was just okay if that and the food was poor quality and not a lot for what you pay. It was a bit ridiculous and we regretted choosing this restaurant almost instantly. If only we could rewind the night a bit-it was that bad.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Matias is a Mexican restaurant in a very busy area of Amsterdam (there are literally hundreds of restauarnts around it). We decided to take a chance after we saw an advertized special - €10.90 for steak or ribs or chicken, plus salad and fries, plus wine, beer or soft drink. The steak and chicken were both good, and we received decent portions. The service was friendly and quick despite comments from other reviewers. We would definitely return.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went here in July. The food was delicious and very filling, with the beer absolutely fantastic.

However, the creepy Turkish rep at the front door put our party right off. Heckling everybody in the street to drag them in. Then coming over to our table every 2 minutes to tell us the type of 'videos' he made and how he 'liked our women.'

Would go back, but this guy at the door is a real turn off. You will know him when you walk past him.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went for dinner here based on the reviews, but was quite dissapointed. I could have known, since it is in the tourits district and they had a guy trying to pull people inside (which I hate and normally would be a reason for me not to go in, but we had a reservation based on the good reviews on trip advisor)

The service was terrible. We just arrived and were promptly asked what we wanted for dinner, after which we said we would first have a longer look at the menu than 10 seconds. AFter that we had to wait a very long time before we got served (hardly any customers, the waiter was just hanging around)..The starter was oke, but the main course was dissapointing. I had the fajita's, however the one with beed tasted like the beef wasn't that well anymore and the chicken was overdone. AFter we finished our meal we had to wait 20 minutes before our plates were taken from the table (very anoying to have your plates in front of you for such a long time since there were hardly any customers). We also weren't asked whether we wanted any new drinks during this time. Normally I would have aked the waiters to have removed my plate or ordered a new drink, but they were nowhere to be found.

Finally we asked for some desert (the staff could only speak english and no Dutch yet, which I do not mind, but for some reason they mistook desert for the bill). I was brought the bill and when I told them I wanted desert I finally got the card after a while (1 card for 3 people). That was my cue and we decided to pay and go for desert somewhere else.

Overall a very very poor staff (at least that evening) and below average food. You can ad some nice spices to your meat, but it won;t hide the fact that the chicken was overdone and the beef was of very poor quality (or maybe just past expiration date)