“Lovely food, but service from front door rep was weird.”
Review of Matias

Matias
Ranked #3,290 of 4,136 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Next to the vibrant Leidseplein you can find de Mexican oasis MATIASMatias has the look & feel of a real Mexican Cantina: Cozy, pleasant and affordable. Our friendly staff offers a great variety of Mexican dishes and drinks.Matias is also a great place to have a good cocktail, so start your evening with a delicious Margarita and enjoy the night as if you were in Mexico.If you are with a large company or just with some friends, just come in and try one of our real Mexican dishes or a nice grilled steak. We will make sure you have a wonderful evening out!
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went here in July. The food was delicious and very filling, with the beer absolutely fantastic.

However, the creepy Turkish rep at the front door put our party right off. Heckling everybody in the street to drag them in. Then coming over to our table every 2 minutes to tell us the type of 'videos' he made and how he 'liked our women.'

Would go back, but this guy at the door is a real turn off. You will know him when you walk past him.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went for dinner here based on the reviews, but was quite dissapointed. I could have known, since it is in the tourits district and they had a guy trying to pull people inside (which I hate and normally would be a reason for me not to go in, but we had a reservation based on the good reviews on trip advisor)

The service was terrible. We just arrived and were promptly asked what we wanted for dinner, after which we said we would first have a longer look at the menu than 10 seconds. AFter that we had to wait a very long time before we got served (hardly any customers, the waiter was just hanging around)..The starter was oke, but the main course was dissapointing. I had the fajita's, however the one with beed tasted like the beef wasn't that well anymore and the chicken was overdone. AFter we finished our meal we had to wait 20 minutes before our plates were taken from the table (very anoying to have your plates in front of you for such a long time since there were hardly any customers). We also weren't asked whether we wanted any new drinks during this time. Normally I would have aked the waiters to have removed my plate or ordered a new drink, but they were nowhere to be found.

Finally we asked for some desert (the staff could only speak english and no Dutch yet, which I do not mind, but for some reason they mistook desert for the bill). I was brought the bill and when I told them I wanted desert I finally got the card after a while (1 card for 3 people). That was my cue and we decided to pay and go for desert somewhere else.

Overall a very very poor staff (at least that evening) and below average food. You can ad some nice spices to your meat, but it won;t hide the fact that the chicken was overdone and the beef was of very poor quality (or maybe just past expiration date)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We visited Matias last night for dinner after being hawked by many waiters on the same street, the guy who hawks for this place was the most convincing!! We had the cheap meal deal which was €10.90 for either ribs, chicken breast or steak with chips and salad with a free drink of either wine or beer. We both had the steak and asked for rare and I have to say it was really delicious and perfectly cooked. After dinner we had a couple more drinks and all in all it came to under 35 euros which we couldn't complain at! If you sit outside it's great for people watching and very entertaining to see all the restaurants trying to get people in from the street!! Excellent value and good food.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

So, I am writing this review not because this is the kind of restaurant you will research before you go to. In fact I am doubtful any person would plan to eat here, this is the kind of place you walk past on the street when you are hungry and you stop, sniffing out the budget menu. We stopped here to be seated in a pokey corner (with a view of the building yard opposite), almost on top of the poor tourists next to us! As our meal progressed we found ourselves laughing at the comedic service we received.
When the food arrived, (meal and drink for €10.90), after sending back one sprite due to being clearly watered down and sending back one steak for being over done, we were surprisingly impressed with what we got.
The chicken was nice (nothing to write home about) and the steak on the second time round was excellent!
We had to ask multiple staff for our bill at the end of the meal because the waitress appeared to forget about it. We also observed that the very polite waiter seemed to walk around the outdoor tables "putting out fires from dissatisfied customers".
Overall, cheap and cheerful but not somewhere we would recommend...

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Guacamole not self-made and very salty, tasteless enchillada's. We got our dishes but had to wait for forks and knives because thy were in a dishwasher (??!). Staff tried their best and had a friendly attitude, but I'm afraid we will not return to Matias- there are better Mexican restaurants in town.