“Charming staff and a nice building”
Review of Hotel Sebastian's

Hotel Sebastian's
Ranked #5 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
london
“Charming staff and a nice building”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a hen-do (yes I know, sigh).

The staff were delightful and even sent my charger home to me in the UK when I left it behind. The building is lovely and in an easy location for other touristy hotspots and some good shopping.

The bedrooms and hallways are kind of going for a "quirky" look but it doesn't quite work. It's somewhere in between trying to be a budget hotel and a boutique hotel. The room I had was very small (but it was cheaper for that purpose and it did the job), the only thing was there was absolutely no storage so everything stays in the case.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Quirky interiors, purple orange & black.
Central location in the lovely Jordaan area which has great eating & drinking options & only a short walk from the railway station.
The staff are lovely and breakfast is worth a try with hot & cold buffet.
Our room was on the top floor (no 229 the one top the left of the photo with the pulley mount outside). Laid out as a mini suite with some low beams if you want to take in the canal view. We loved it but could be a problem if you are tall (we aren’t).
The lift was broken but there were porters to take your luggage up to your room.
All the staff were young enthusiastic & helpful & spoke excellent English.
Good hotel bar.
Loved it!!

Room Tip: We had room 229 which we loved but there are low beams in the sitting area. Great views. I would ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arnie G
mumbai
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Firstly I love the interiors of this hotel! All purple and orange it made me so happy!
Very central hotel and walking distance to Jordaan area which has alot of good eating options! Also its not very close to the Red light district as the hotel mentions. Its a good 15-20 minutes walk!
The staff is lovely and offers umbrellas for the rainy weather so u dont have to worry about getting drenched.
Nice breakfast with yummy croissants!
Room was really small but I did not have much complaints as we were hardly in the hotel through the day! It could be a problem if you are a heavy or big person though I feel!
And yes, no porters you will have to take your luggage up to your room by yourself!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have just got back from a four night stay in this hotel. The hotel is situated within a 5 minute walk of Amsterdam Central Station right on one of the prettiest canals in the city. Immediately we met the receptionist we knew that the staff were something special and they continued to be throughout our stay. We had a canal view room on the second floor. I have read reviews which suggest that the rooms are quite small. Having come from a hotel in Paris this room seemed quite spacious! There was a big double wardrobe with shelving and hanging space. There was a good hairdryer, not one of those hotel rubbish things that don't dry your hair but a proper hairdryer! The shower room was small but very functional. Good selection of toiletries. The bed was comfortable and there were extra pillows. The mini bar proved useful if a little expensive, €3.40 for a diet coke when you could buy a pack of 6 at the supermarket round the corner for less. But that's a mini bar for you! The hotel was in a great location for us as we love walking. It was about 8-10 minutes to the Anne Frank House, about 15 minutes to Dam Square and we walked to the highly recommended ZaZa's restaurant and that took us about 45 minutes.
We had breakfast at the hotel every morning and there was a good choice (again having just come from Paris where it was jus pastries and bread). We had egg each morning and the lady serving breakfast was just amazing. She couldn't have been more helpful and every morning she offered to make me my English cup of tea. Very special service.
I thought the hotel was good value compared to others I looked at and I did a lot of research using Trip Advisor. There were of course a couple of negatives. It snowed during our stay which obviously didn't spoil anything but the hotel was incredibly hot. It was a relief to get outside some mornings. And as other reviews suggest, this is a fairly noisy hotel. The walls are not thick. On two nights I was on the verge of complaining about the neighbours, I'm sure the people upstairs re-arranged the room every night. I am a sound sleeper generally but found myself being woken up during the night or unable to sleep because of the noise on two nights.
The hotel is in a very convenient location in a particularly pretty part of Amsterdam and very close to the Anne Frank House and a street of shops where there are supermarkets and a good off licence.
Ultimately the staff make this hotel very good, they were just lovely. The location is just fantastic.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are worth the little extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank macavity22
Eastgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

A great location if you don't need to be in the middle of the touristic mêlée. Next to the Jordaan district for browsing shops/cafes; 5 minutes walk from Central Station, canal bus and tram stops about the same.

Room comfortable with aircon, telly, iPod dock, telephone and Nespresso coffee maker. Breakfast buffet hot or cold, friendly, helpful staff. Perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cook1e_Hull
Dublin
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just back today from Sebastian's Hotel in Amsterdam. It is truly great. Not an expensive hotel by any means. The decor is different - opulent you might say but that might be overstating it a bit! I was a little hesitant to book despite the great reviews as I normally prefer larger, more impersonal hotels where nobody is too much in you face. Anyway, on arrival, we were given a genuinely warm welcome and given maps, advice, directions etc. What lovely people! The room was really good (and spotless). Top quality toilet paper - it's the little touches that matter! A Nespresso machine was provided with free Nespresso capsules. I don't drink coffee but my roommate was very impressed. The room had all the normal things you'd expect and more. Beds were very comfortable (maybe a bit soft for some, but I had no problem with this). The water from the shower took a hell of a long time to go down the drain and so there was a bit of a build up and my shower was becoming more of a bath. Still, I can't let that affect my rating of this wonderful hotel. When checking out there was a different girl/woman on reception and a young man too. They too were extremely friendly and helpful. (She was very cute too!) I will definitely be back. P.S. I didn't eat at the hotel but I saw the place laid out for breakfast and the food looked very good indeed. I wish all at this hotel the best of luck and I hope you keep getting top ratings - you deserve it. THANK YOU.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alabama
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two days in May, 2012, during Queens Day. The hotel was an ideal location with our room overlooking the canal below and having a balcony outside our window. I sat on the balcony with a glass of wine and filmed the crazy activities on the canal during Queens Day events. The food was good as well as the service and it was centrally located for anyone who wants to see the Ann Frank House which is only blocks away. The rates were also very reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a frontage room which overlooks the canal and streets.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple