Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam
Ranked #55 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
“AOECS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

A nice quiet modern hotel. It is situated in an area away from the hub of the centre but still within easy reach. For those who fancy a walk it is about 30 to 40 mins from the city centre. Tram lines serve this area pretty well and easily accessible from just opposite the hotel. Staff friendly and nice. Rooms are clean and well equipped with all that the traveller needs. The wireless Internet connection could be better. Rooms with a nice clean shower. I would consider putting frosting on the glass panels between the bathroom and hallway and still leaving room for light. I was in room 122 first floor and it was overlooking the main busy room. In spite of this it was still relaxing and comfortable and I was able to have a good night sleep.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Claire C, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you very much in taking the time writing a review. kind regards, Claire van Campen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

A bit on the funky style of decorating the Manor Hotel was in a great location for tourists. Using our GVB pass we could get anywhere in the city within a half hour day or night and had a good, clean hotel waiting for us. I especially appreciated all the nice, friendly service. The people at the main desk just couldn't have been nicer. The rooms are funky colors and have bold art with big beautiful bathrooms, both spacious and quiet on the busy street. There are cafes in easy walking along with a beautiful park.

Room Tip: Check out the deals on Expedia.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much in taking the time in writing a review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Claire van Campen
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just like my first stay (reviewed late fall 2012), I loved this hotel. It is a completely renovated historic building (a former hospital) in a great neighborhood 10 minutes away from the crazy city center and tourists, the rooms are clean, quiet, beautifully decorated and maintained and the staff is absolutely wonderful. I stayed five nights this time and had a 2nd floor (first floor above ground level) great view of the courtyard with trees and greenery, with morning sun. The Standard and Deluxe rooms each have a different photo mural and are configured slightly differently. The hallway wallpaper and carpet are crazy/busy: a theme that is not reflected in the rooms.

Two minor problems: 1. The glass partition for the shower did not meet the mount on the tub and water leaked all over the bathroom floor each time I took a shower. I informed the management, but it was not repaired during my five nights. A rubber flap at the bottom of the glass would have done the trick. 2. The hotel desk people gave me incorrect tram and nachtbus information on two occasions. Luckily my son, and a total stranger on the (wrong) tram knew better and helped me figure out how to get where I needed to go. These were both very minor annoyances and would never deter me from staying at this hotel in the future.

I also really like the restaurant bar downstairs. They were most kind and the small plates and wine I had were incredible!

Room Tip: Unless you really need a bathtub, save yourself the extra money and go with the Standard room. Othe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mantragirl2012
Thank you very much for your second stay, good to hear you enjoyd. Thank you for tips given, we will take the appropriate action. We look forward to seeing you in the future. kind regards, Claire van Campen
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I and my stayed in this hotel on our vacation to Europe recently. Its a good hotel just outside the city center. The room was very good compared to the other hotels we stayed on in the trip and the price was reasonable. I would definitely go back to this hotel on my next trip and recommend this to anyone who is fine with taking a short 10 min single tram ride into the city center. The tram station is a 1 min walk outside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krishna_2111
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. kind regards, Claire van Campen
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and I really do love it here. This time I decided to have a buffet breakfast that cost €30 for two of us and I don't think it was worth that much as the hot food was very limited. There is a super market, coffee shop and takeaway food place all within metres I the hotel. The number 9 tram stops right outside the hotel and takes 15 mins to get to the city centre. I will be coming back again

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dora89_12
Claire C, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Looking forward to welcoming you back! kind regards Claire van Campen
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Walking into the hotel, it was very welcoming and the decor was pretty. We arrived very early at 8am and the hotel staff were very accommodating and let us check into our room early at no charge. This was wonderful since we had just had a long flight in from the US and large luggage. In the event that a room wouldn't have been ready for us, they do offer to store it for you.

The hallways were bright red with X's that represent Amsterdam. The room was modern with purple mood lighting near the ceiling. Windows were large with long draperies. The bathroom was a decent size.. nothing large or too small. My only complaints were the shower didn't have a fully enclosed door, so the bathroom floor got pretty wet. Also, we wanted a queen sized bed.. but I guess in Europe they put two twin beds together? Either way, this was kind of uncomfortable to sleep with your significant other since there was a crack in the middle. The A/C was turned on max, but it still always seemed hot in the room.. so we had to open up the window each night. During my 2 weeks in Europe, the A/C never seemed very cold in our other hotels or restaurants either.

Other than that, my 5 night stay was wonderful and the best hotel on my entire trip!! The room was cleaned each day and the bed and pillows were comfortable. It's not a quick walk to central Amsterdam, but we got a week long tram pass and there's a stop right outside of the hotel. There's also a handful of good restaurants within walking distance. If you want real dutch food, I recommend going to 'Moeders'... you have to take the tram though and make a reservation!

OH... I almost forgot to mention, there is a mini refrigerator in the room and a grocery store a block down the street!! Great for keeping drinks or beer cold! We didn't want to pay for breakfast... so we got milk and cereal for in the room which held us over until lunch. All hotels should have refrigerators!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caitlin R
Thank you very much in taking the time in writing a review, and good to hear you enjoyed your stay. kind regards Claire van Campen
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed here on a 5 day break, we had a deluxe room which overlooked the garden and was very quiet. From the moment we entered the hotel I found all the staff were very friendly, we arrived early so could not immediately go to our room but the reception arranged for our bags to be stored until it was, everbody spoke perfect english. The only issue I had was with the tea and coffee not being full when we arrived which was quickly rectified by the reception. Other than that it was a perfect stay. I did not eat in the restaurant but can recommend for something completey different a suriname restaurant called Lalla Rookh which is on the main road between the hotel and the Muiderpoort station, it looks basic but the food is absolutely delicious and very good value. If you are looking for a special place for a meal, stay on tram 9 for another 2 stops, there is a restaurant in a park on the right called De Kas which means greenhouse, they grow all their vegetables on site and the food is amazing but you won't get any change out of 100 euros with wine !!.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil W
Claire C, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
thank you very much in writing a review about your stay. looking forward to welcoming you in the future. kind regards Claire van Campen