“Good and comfortable”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #62 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a cozy little hotel to convey the Dutch atmosphere, then this isn't a place to book. It's a huge hotel and it's a modern hotel which really stands out when you look towards the Central Station. Personally, this did the trick for me. The hotel had all the comfort I could wish for - with a few exceptions I will set out below.
I had a single room and it had more than enough space for one person and the luggage, the wardrobe is alright, the ironing facilities were very welcome and if you have a room on the canal, you won't even know how close the station is. The tea and coffee facilities I discovered in a drawer were a really nice surprise, even if I didn't use them and it was great to have an iMac in the room to supply for TV and computer needs. The bathroom was ridiculously small but I admit that the space was organized really efficiently and the shower didn't feel as crowded as it looked from the outside (bonus point for no leaks under the door). Look out for slippers, bathrobe and drier in the wardrobe and if you need a shower cap, don't be afraid to call the reception desk. They are kind and accommodating to one's needs, from matters regarding your room and your stay, to offering directions and answering touristic questions.
Thr breakfast might just be one of the richest varieties I have seen so far but I can't comment on the value for money because it was included in the room price. The sushi was a fantastic surprise, especially since it seemed to be there every morning and I personally appreciated the pastry and sweets selection and the fact that the entire focus wasn't on providing omlette and sides for it, as many other hotels do.
Decent distance from the old town/redlight/china town/commercial area.
On the minus side:
- lighting in the room: the windows are huge and everything is great if the curtains are pulled. But if you need to draw the curtains, then you have to make do between four lamps which provide barely enough light. One main light in the bedroom area would be nice. Also it would have been nice if the bedside lamps could be dimmed - far too powerful if you wanted to leave one on in the night.
- checking in: not fond of their check in only and only after 3 pm rule and having to pay extra to get a room early, even if they obviously have empty rooms to offer. Considering I was on a three hour flight and needed to change and freshen up before a business meeting, there was little choice for me on saying yes or no to the extra fee. I really can't see why you can't have a room earlier if it is obviously empty and ready to be used.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you very much for the very nice comments about the hotel. It makes me happy to read that you really liked the breakfast in the hotel and that you could easily visit all the attractions of Amsterdam from the hotel. Good to read that the staff helped you with your request and gave you nice recommendations during your stay. Thank you for your feedback about the lighting in the room, we take this complaint serious and will have a look at the lighting in the rooms. Concerning the early check-in fee, our hotel offers a priority cleaning service for early arrivals allowing guests to enjoy the comfort of their room from the morning already, adding the day to the reserved period at a surcharge of EUR 40. As this in additional service there is an extra charge for this.. Again thank you very much for sharing your comments and hopefully we can welcome you again one day!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,242)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My friends and I stayed for 2 nights for my birthday. On the night of my birthday the hotel were kind enough to bring me wine and chocolate with a birthday card! We had drinks in the sky lounge which was very impressive.
Breakfast buffet in the city cafe is quite pricey however it's worth paying for for the amount of variety and quality of food, the same for the dinner is expensive yet the whole dining experience makes it worth while.
Nothing was too much for any of the staff, I will definitely be staying here for my future visits to Amsterdam.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Great to read that you had a really nice birthday in our hotel!! Thank you for the compliments about the SkyLounge, breakfast and dinner in the hotel, it is really nice to hear that you have enjoyed these. We would be pleased to welcome you again anytime you are visiting Amsterdam again!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great views if you're on the water side of the hotel.....rooms are very modern, with floor to ceiling windows and small-ish bathrooms. Windows have some strange louvered shutters, which closed around sunset and opened again in the morning. It looked as if you could control them via an interior switch, but it didn't always work.

Close to Amsterdam Central train station (about 1 block walk), the Tourist Info office, and many canal cruises and tram lines. Very handy for day trips via train, and general transport. Not exactly a "charming" Amsterdam location on the canals.....but, I knew that when I booked. Got a good "weekend" rate, so it was good value for the money

Breakfast buffet had lots of choices, and as it's free for Hilton Gold members it was a bargain! Not sure what the regular price was. There is also a Starbucks at the front of the building.

My only complaint would be the front desk staff was very slow....lots of people behind the desk, but very few actually helping guests. The Hilton Honors check in clerk was consistently on the phone and never helping anyoen check-in. When I checked in, my room wasn't ready and they were distinctly telling every guest that the check-in time was 3pm, but if you wanted to pay more they could try and get you a room. When I came back at 3pm, my room still wasn't ready.....when I sighed VERY loudly, a Manager did a few key strokes and "suddenly" they found me a room (which they had clearly blocked for someone else). All in all, it seemed to be a bit of a game. I would expect better service as a Hilton Gold member.....but there didn't seem to be any recognition of being a "valued guest".

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and sharing positive comments about the hotel! It is good to read that you were able to visit the highlights of Amsterdam easily and that you liked the room and the breakfast of the hotel.
The shutters can be controlled from inside the room, however when it is very windy outside the central system takes over.
Our receptionist indeed both serve guests at the front desk as in-house guests calling the desk. This normally goes side to side without problems but clearly your experience has been different for which we sincerely apologize. We understand this is giving an incorrect impression and is not helpful in showing our high level of appreciation of Hhonors Gold & Diamond guests. Please trust your experience has been incidental and will be carefully reviewed.
Our rooms are planned to be ready at 3PM, however as we have a relatively high share of guests arriving in early mornings we do offer a priority cleaning service, which is a special dedicated extra housekeeping team which enables us to offer rooms in the morning at a small surcharge. For guests who prefer not to use this extra service rooms will be made available according to the normal cleaning procedure, which should be finalized by latest 3PM. So our apologies that your room was not ready at 3PM.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope you would consider our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. At reception desk we were welcomed with a warm chocolate cookie...yummy! I think it the newest hotel in the area. Skybar is a nice place to have drink with friends.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing these positive comments. Good that you have enjoyed our hotel and SkyLounge, hopefully you will return to the hotel again in the future!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you like the standard, quality level of service that Hilton tends to provde then you won't be dissappointed by this DoubleTree. You will pay for it though, the location and Hilton brand name still cost a bit more than many of the other options. But the location is particularly excellent in this case, and very close everything. It was also an excellent surprise to be welcomed to the hotel with warm chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you very much for these nice remarks! It is great that you liked the location and that you liked the welcome with a warm cookie at check-in! Thanks for staying with us and hopefully you will consider us again!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Everything from start to finish was great. We booked an executive queen with balcony and got a great deal on the room. As we booked executive you have access to executive lounge which includes 24 hour free tea, coffee and water and also free wine, beer and nibbles between 6-8pm. Lovely warm mini quiche and bites. Breakfast included scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, delicious!! The room view was amazing looking over the city. We even had a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate put in the room for my husbands birthday. Everyone had a warm cookie given upon check-in which was very nice. All in all the room, service, view and overall experience made this short city break into an amazing experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank donnap435

It is great to read that you have had a really nice stay in our hotel!! I am also happy that you really enjoyed the food served during breakfast and in the happy hours of the executvie lounge! We all hope your husband had a really nice birthday here and maybe we can welcome you back again in the future!!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Great location right next to the train station, great value and the best breakfast buffet that I have ever seen. Friendly and helpful staff. Canal boat passes acan be purchased at guest services. Oh, and there's a Starbucks inside! A+++++

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for the great remarks!! It is great to read that you have really enjoyed the breakfast and that the staff was able to assist you during your stay! Thanks for this excellent grade!!