“First visit to Amsterdam”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #57 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“First visit to Amsterdam”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This modern hotel is just a 4 or 5 minute walk from the main railway station and very handy if like us you have flown in to Schiphol Airport.

On entering reception we were greeted by a huge queue of people all waiting to be checked in and not all the check in stations manned; after a long days travelling all we wanted to do was get to the room. Took probably 15 - 20 mins to get to the desk to check in and during that time we were given complimentary cookies which were nice but hardly made up for our long wait

Our room 785 (7th floor) overlooked the inner triangular courtyard, not a fantastic outlook but the room as a whole was very nice with all the usual facilities you would want from a quality hotel including a safe, although was a bit disappointed there we no biscuits to have when you made a tea or coffee in the room. The I Mac TV took a little time to figure out but great when working and the internet is much faster using that than using a mobile device on the free WiFi.

Room is simply but smartly decorated and very clean with a smart white modern en-suit bathroom (shower room). The stylish sink looks smart but when you try and fill it to have a shave you can only get about 40mm of water in before it reaches the overflow; style over function I think. The bed itself was large and comfortable and you can control the temperature in the room from a little panel, although my only minor gripe about the air conditioning is that you can hear a constant noise of air coming through the roof ventilation.

We had drinks in the ground floor bar and the service was very good and prices not too bad compared to the rest of the bars in Amsterdam, the food looked good as well but did not try it. The highlight of our stay was using the Skylounge on the 11th floor; more expensive for drinks and food but the views are fantastic with glass walls and entry onto an open air deck area. I would recommend visiting this bar even if you are not staying at the hotel.

We had a very enjoyable relaxing stay at the hotel, staff all very helpful and would be very happy to return. Had to queue (again!) to check out and glad we checked our bill as we were charged 50 Euro for a meal we did not have and had not signed for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the city and waterways.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard H
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailled feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is greatly appreciated!

I am very sorry to hear you had to queue upon check-in and out. We do everything possible to simplify the check-in and out process, and minimize the waiting time, but unfortunately we can never completely prevent unexpected peeks. I am confident upon a future stay, you will have a different experience!

It is on the other hand very good to hear you enjoyed our Lobby bar as well as the SkyLounge Bar. I am also naturally pleased you describe our staff as very helpful and will certainly pass along the message to the entire team!

We hope to welcome you again in the near future!
Caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently stayed for three nights at the Amsterdam Centraal Station Doubletree. The hotel looks to be new with very modern touches all throughout the hotel and rooms. I really like they have an iMac in the rooms for the TV and browsing the web.

It's a very nice hotel that I would highly recommend.

Only one negative, we were upgraded to the executive level room so we had access to the executive lounge which was not that great. The breakfast,snacks and afternoon drinks/food were well below all other lounges that I have been in - they definitely need some upgrades there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is really appreciated.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the variety in our Executive lounge. I am sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. We are committed in providing our guests with the highest service level, so we will definitely take your feedback in consideration!

Besides that I am happy to hear you would recommend our hotel to other travellers!

We hope to see you soon again in our hotel,
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This crisp, modern hotel contrasts nicely with the old city of Amsterdam, just a few minutes walk away from the front door. It offers the comfort and conveniences you'd expect from the brand, with a near ideal location for exploring.

The room itself was a little small, but perfectly formed. A good size bed made for a good nights sleep, while an Apple iMac perched on the desk made quickly checking emails and such like easy - certainly easier than trying to get the wi-fi working which seemed a little temperamental.

Floor to ceiling windows offer a great view of the city skyline, although beware the tourists wandering by the canal or on the boats as you get dressed in the morning! Air-conditioning prevents things getting too hot if the sun decides to shine.

I didn't try the restaurant, but did spend plenty of time on the roof-top bar. This large open space had the relaxed atmosphere I enjoy so much, with views over the city and beyond silhouetted by the setting sun. It wasn't cheap though...

Outside of the bar prices and the wi-fi, it's difficult to fault the hotel. Clean throughout, with an air of quality, it's a fine place to base yourself for a day or two exploring the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. It is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your feedback regarding the prices in the SkyLounge. The prices of our drinks in the SkyLounge might be higher than some other bars in the city, however we feel this is justified by the quality of the products we use in combination with the unique location on the 11th floor, overlooking the city.

Furthermore it is great to read you enjoyed our rooms, the bed and the iMac in your room.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you in the near future!

Jensen Beach
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed for four nights after a Viking river cruise. The cruise port is a short walk away (in the rain) and the central train station is about 10 minutes away by foot - very convenient. And from the train station it's a short, inexpensive, train ride to the airport. But more importantly this is an ideal location to explore Amsterdam. We took one tram to the Rijksmuseum but decided to walk back and as is always the case in Amsterdam the walk took us to new, unusual, and interesting places. We walked everywhere else in this inviting city.

The hotel offers warm cookies at check-in (can't beat that) and the rooms are adequately sized with everything you would expect in a hotel that is only a few years old. It's a large hotel with 500+ rooms but not hard to get around in.

If you go with an executive room you get access to the executive club just off the lobby on the ground floor. That gets you access throughout the day and in the morning there is a more than adequate complementary breakfast. In the evenings there are snacks along with wine, beer, and other non-alcoholic drinks.

A special complement is owed to the staff - front desk, executive club, everywhere. They go out of their way to help. We borrowed umbrellas, got directions to local restaurants, got tickets at the front desk to the Rijksmuseum (get there EARLY or you WILL wait in LONG lines, and of course there were the cookies (and bottled water and apples all day long at the front desk)! Next time I'm in Amsterdam this is where I will stay.

Our first night we realized we were on the 10th floor directly under the nightclub. We heard a bit of noise but we were apparently very tired and didn't have a problem sleeping. The next night was a different story. It was Saturday and the locals decided to party hearty. The noise was unbelievable - it sounded like the band was in our room - literally. At about midnight I called and asked how long the bar upstairs was open and I was told 1 a.m. At about 2:30 nothing had changed so I put on some clothes and tracked down the night manager. She told me I had been given bad info and that the bar was open until 3 a.m. She said she would change our room but could not since they were 100% full that night - I told her I would not want to change rooms for a half hour but a change for our next two nights would be appreciate. That was all taken care of the next day and everything was right with the world.

Some local restaurants I can highly recommend all within walking distance: Ganesha Indian - as you can guess Indian - as good a Saag as I have ever had; Aneka Rasa - Indonesian with a great rice table; and La Paella for a Spanish restaurant with a very nice, inexpensive menu.

Room Tip: I would avoid a room on the 10th floor - especially if it's a room under the sky lounge - it can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ld S
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I am very happy to read your comments and I really appreciate you took the time to write such a long review in order to share your experience with the world.

I am very sorry about the noise you experience due to party at our Sky Lounge, on the other hand I am glad our staff took care of this and offered you a room change at the next day so that you could not be bothered with the noise anymore.

Great to read you found our location to be very convenient and easily reached the highlights of Amsterdam without any problem.

I am definitely looking forward to welcoming you again and thank you so much for considering staying with us in your next visit to Amsterdam.

Should you need any assistance with your booking please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights last week. Found the hotel new, clean and rooms were well equipped. Good breakfast (very good selection of food on offer) and a Starbucks on site was very handy. Location was convenient for sightseeing and local restaurants.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and writing this nice review. This is really appreciated!

I am happy you liked our hotel, specially our breakfast! and found our hotel rooms well equiped.

How great to hear that you found our location to be convenient and that you could reach the highlights of Amsterdam and local restaurant without a problem.

I hope to welcoming you back soon to our hotel!
Atlanta
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We traveled from London to Amsterdam by train and we stayed at the DoubleTree Amsterdam Centraal Station for 3 nights and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located within easy walking distance from Centraal Station and is in the heart of all of the attractions. The view from the room was stunning and I would highly recommend that you stay here if you are every in Amsterdam. The staff were nice, warm and friendly and the warm chocolate chip cookies are to die for. Along with providing directions to local attractions, the staff were very gracious to even provide detailed travel directions to our next destination upon our check-out. I will always remember the politeness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and will definitely be staying at the DoubleTree the next time I am in Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PlatoA
Thank you so much fo taking the time to share this with us. It is great to hear you had such a nice experience at our hotel. I will definitely pass on your nice words to our staff; they will be very happy with it!

I hope to see back soon!

Claudia