“Modern Hotel with Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #56 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
“Modern Hotel with Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here on my to and from a cruise. Hotel location is perfect if you want to want to the ship. It is on the edge of the city. Beds are comfortable, bathrooms super and service is great. Breakfast buffet is very good with a ton of choice and the Skybar is a perfect place to end a day.

This is a very modern hotel and very European and I liked that. As a Hilton Gold member, I was upgraded both times.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the city are quieter. The hotel is just down from the train station and you can he...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank afineguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Booked this trip as a birthday treat for a friend - I emailed the hotel ahead of time to let them know it was her birthday...wow! When we arrived, after receiving the customary cookie, we were shown to our room, which had been thoughtfully decorated in balloons! Small hitch though, it was a double room, not a twin. After assuring the hotel guy that my friend and I were not that close, the room was changed with minimum fuss - we even ended up with a balcony, a significant improvement. But it doesn't stop there - as a birthday present from the hotel, we were given a ticket each for a canal tour around the city.
I cant praise the hotel staff enough, everyone was friendly, helpful and chatty, and in my mind, they made the stay. One morning we decided to order the continental breakfast to our room and not only did the gent on the other end of the phone personally come up to our room to help us decipher the menu, he also threw in a free portion of scrambled eggs when the feast actually did arrive. And boy it was a feast - well worth the price, and ended up as a two for one deal, which was even better. The hotel itself, as the other reviews will tell you, is brilliantly close to the station, and the ideal starting place from which to make your way around the city.
The hotel itself was about what you'd expect from this company, and the star rating - there was an ugly stain on the carpet at the door of the bathroom caused by a leak, the twin single beds we ended up with were a tad on the small side and wheeled around annoyingly when you were least expecting it.
The real praise has to go to the wonderful staff that make the experience great.
I can't wait to return to Amsterdam, and this hotel in particular.

Room Tip: Ask for a smoking room - you may end up with a balcony, which are high up, spacious, and give you aw...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Frankieangel x
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. We are happy to hear it was a success! We look forward to welcoming you again to Amsterdam – We enjoyed taking care of you.

Thanks again!

With kind regards,

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great hotel. Great rooms. And loved the iMacs int the rooms the most.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your nice comments. Whenever you are in Amsterdam, stop by the DoubleTree by Hilton. We will take good care of you!

Witk kind regards,

Redditch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was our first trip abroad as a couple after 20 years of holidays with the children; it has set a high standard for future trips. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the Central Train Station; we were greeted at the reception by a young lady speaking perfect English who quickly sorted our room out and sent us on our way with a warm cookie, nice touch. The room was on one of the top floors and was spectacular with both a balcony and a private terrace overlooking the city; it was certainly worth that little extra for the upgrade. Stepping out, within a few minutes you were in the hub of the shops, restaurants and bars but far enough away for it to be quite if we wanted to sit out on the terrace with a drink. The view from our room was only bettered by that from the Skylounge, an amazing place to meet, eat and drink.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and indulge yourself with a suite :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alan_N_CRedditch
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a great stay, the staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make sure our stay was pleasant, the warm cookie on arrival was a lovely touch. We upgraded to the top floor - and what a view. Have a few drinks at the Skylounge, the cocktails are amazing and the views to die for. The location is a plus, close to all the hotspots and Centraal Station.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city are quiet with great views. Upgrade to a deluxe so you are guaranteed a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Huia66
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am here for a short business trip and the hotel staff is very friendly and provide a lot of constructive advice. Firstly, when I arrived before the check-in time, they greeted me with a warm cookie and made sure that I got a room despite the early arrival. They even advised me the direction of my room to see whether I have an issue with the noise from the train station or not.

The iMac in the hotel room which serves as a TV and computer is a big plus. It's so advanced that I can do the printing from the computer and collect them immediately from the reception with no charge at all. This provides to be vital for my business trip since I got a few urgent contracts needed to be sorted out.

Reception staff follows up each request in details. I rarely see it happening at any other luxury hotel chains any more.

The hotel is located right literally next to the Centraal Station. You can either take the Hotel Shuttle from the airport, which costs you Euro 16 or just take the train to the Centraal Station.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I highly recommend it to anyone who will visit Amsterdam to stay there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Antony_Yiu
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Antony,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to read that our location was such a convenience for you, with the train station right next to the hotel. Furthermore I am glad you enjoyed the room you were allocated in with great views of the city of Amsterdam and that you thought that the iMac in the room was a big plus.

Thank you for your recommendations and we are truly looking forward welcoming you back again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

With kind regards,

General manager
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Don’t get me wrong, this is a good hotel located near the Amsterdam Centraal station. When you exit the main entrance of the station facing toward city centre you’ll have make an immediate left and walk approximately 5 to 10 minutes. The station is almost always busy so I think it took me 15 minutes to arrive at the hotel with 2 large suitcases.
This is one big hotel. I was given a room on the 4th floor and had to walk a few minutes before arriving to the other side of the hotel where my room was located. My room had a great view overlooking city center. One thing that bothered me was that the room had no character. Sure the bed was comfortable and I had an Apple computer to play with but everything else was just bland. I guess the view of the city made up for most of the empty wall in the room.
Upon checking in, the friendly reception will offer you a cookie. Good cookie but not great as they are claiming. The Apple computer / TV is a nice touch. I can simply plug in my USB drive where I can access and playback video through VLC which was installed.
Breakfast was exceptionally good. They offered many hot dishes. It is by far one of the best I had traveling in Europe. The hotel also offered bike rental at 15 euros per day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business