“Exceptional Services, Central Location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #57 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hong Kong, China
“Exceptional Services, Central Location”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am here for a short business trip and the hotel staff is very friendly and provide a lot of constructive advice. Firstly, when I arrived before the check-in time, they greeted me with a warm cookie and made sure that I got a room despite the early arrival. They even advised me the direction of my room to see whether I have an issue with the noise from the train station or not.

The iMac in the hotel room which serves as a TV and computer is a big plus. It's so advanced that I can do the printing from the computer and collect them immediately from the reception with no charge at all. This provides to be vital for my business trip since I got a few urgent contracts needed to be sorted out.

Reception staff follows up each request in details. I rarely see it happening at any other luxury hotel chains any more.

The hotel is located right literally next to the Centraal Station. You can either take the Hotel Shuttle from the airport, which costs you Euro 16 or just take the train to the Centraal Station.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I highly recommend it to anyone who will visit Amsterdam to stay there!

2 Thank Antony_Yiu
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Antony,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to read that our location was such a convenience for you, with the train station right next to the hotel. Furthermore I am glad you enjoyed the room you were allocated in with great views of the city of Amsterdam and that you thought that the iMac in the room was a big plus.

Thank you for your recommendations and we are truly looking forward welcoming you back again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

With kind regards,

Caroline Receveur
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Don’t get me wrong, this is a good hotel located near the Amsterdam Centraal station. When you exit the main entrance of the station facing toward city centre you’ll have make an immediate left and walk approximately 5 to 10 minutes. The station is almost always busy so I think it took me 15 minutes to arrive at the hotel with 2 large suitcases.
This is one big hotel. I was given a room on the 4th floor and had to walk a few minutes before arriving to the other side of the hotel where my room was located. My room had a great view overlooking city center. One thing that bothered me was that the room had no character. Sure the bed was comfortable and I had an Apple computer to play with but everything else was just bland. I guess the view of the city made up for most of the empty wall in the room.
Upon checking in, the friendly reception will offer you a cookie. Good cookie but not great as they are claiming. The Apple computer / TV is a nice touch. I can simply plug in my USB drive where I can access and playback video through VLC which was installed.
Breakfast was exceptionally good. They offered many hot dishes. It is by far one of the best I had traveling in Europe. The hotel also offered bike rental at 15 euros per day.

4 Thank TP2WXC
Reviewed June 24, 2012

High level of service from the reception staff, great business hotel, would recommend room with city view

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank truth108
Toronto
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel is in a great location for train travellers and cruise travellers. You are 5 minutes from Centraal Station and 10 minute walk to the cruise pier for cruising. Lots of restaurants within 10-20 minute walk and across from Centraal Station is the tourist bureau and the boats for the canal cruises. Breakfast buffet is great and we also ate lunch and dinner which was good. We went upstairs to the rooftop bar for drinks and the view is worth every penny. Cons: When we arrived, I asked if an upgrade to a king size bed was possible. I kept being told what I had booked (I booked a room with a queen bed). I was fully aware of what I had booked....that was not what I was asking. We found the bed to be extremely uncomfortable and the pillows the same. There queen beds seem to be smaller than ours. We had an accessible room with a walk in shower. There was no shelves in the bathroom at either the sink or the shower. We had to put our shower toiletries on the floor.

Room Tip: If you are use to a queen or king bed, book a king bed. The extra money is worth the good night'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JoyFrances
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just arrived at the hotel and the check-in process was painful. The check-in lines were large -around 30 people trying to check-in / out at around midday in three lines. I joined the HHonors line - around 3 deep only to find that no-one was manning the desk. So the HHonors members either had to merge with the adjacent line and understandably irritate those already in line or join the back of the queue. This was really badly handled by the check-in girl Jose who seemed totally oblivious to everything happening around her. None of the staff seemed to be really aware and continued to let people join the HHonors line without warning them. If any of the reception staff had an ounce of common sense they would have served one from the HHonors line then one from the regular line averting problems.

I've stayed at this location before. Overall a nice hotel despite the lack of common sense and initiative displayed by the reception area staff - where are the managers while all this happening?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side facing south - the north side and some of the corner rooms face the...
1 Thank TooManyHiltons
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to read we have not been able to arrange your check-in according to our usual standards last Sunday. As your Tripadvisor profile does not show any personal details I have unfortunately not yet been able to get in touch with you. I would highly appreciate if you would contact us on amscs.info@hilton.com as we would like to solve this in the best possible way.

Please accept our sincere apologies and thank you very much for sharing your feedback.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Caroline Receveur
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is just literally 3 minutes walk once you exit left of Amsterdam central
The staff are young and fresh faced, and really pleasant and eager to serve. They start by serving a warm cookie on arrival !

Pros: Very centrally located, you cannot ask for a more cleaner and spacious room next to Amsterdam Central at the down to earth prices charged
Room is clean, excellent wi fi, iMAC in each room
All amenities present

Cons: The air con was really slow, it was a muddy evening and the aircon didnt seem to function at all
Expensive breakfast service $24.50 Euro's pp : Lots of fantastic cheaper and really good eateries are all within walking distance.
I requested room service some extra cream sachets and a hair dryer.... Yet to arrive although admittedly I did retrieve the hair dryer in one of the cupboards.
The rooms are very noisy as it is just proximal to the station.

Overall I would still strongly reccomend this hotel and will definately return with my family.. Good on ya !

Room Tip: Probably be aware that the rooms can be a bit noisy around early morning
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Booked through hotel website asked for a canal view room, on arrival offered a room building view. On arrival offered a delicious hot biscuit and late check out, very convenient as my return flight was late. Room service very slow,45-50 min, I asked some bread, another 30 min, only after complaining.Apart room service nothing to blame but this hotel is " tasteless" it's staff the same although kind.Pro:good location 5 min walking from central station, very clean hotel and rooms,mac in rooms(wi-fi in hotel average,not working in rooms)Would stay again?For business yes for leisure no

• Stayed June 2012