“Great find in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #57 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great find in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Lots of expensive, not very nice hotels in Amsterdam; this makes a great change. Modern, great location, reasonable prices, an oasis of calm if you want to escape. Loved it.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyS100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,474)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Good, clean, everything worked.

Very good location, which means that you can always get a tram back to the hotel from wherever you are in the City.

We asked for a room away from the railway; however, this meant that we did not get a view.

The entrance to the hotel is concealed which is a little irritating.

We asked the staff to change the sheets (by placing the card on our pillow), only to find that the card had been replaced. We had to call to ask them to come again, which to their credit they did immediately.

The price was quite steep, however this is more of a reflection of Amsterdam.

1 Thank LegallyB
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here in May, 2012. I was a bit concerned on check in because it seemed that a standard room had only an interior courtyard view and the better rooms were about 50 Euros more. But once we got into the room, everything was fine. It's not the most amazing hotel I've every stayed at, but it was quiet, clean, comfortable and had good size rooms and bathrooms. We had a nice bed, and I really liked the mac computer with internet in the room. It also served as the TV, and some might find it a little small, but I was able to stream my netflix on it, so we were pretty happy to be able to watch movies at any time of day we liked. The wifi did not work in our room, so the computer was great. There is a wonderful rooftop restaurant lounge with wonderful views and outdoor space. I suggest you visit the rooftop even if you don't stay here. The hotel is near everything, but not right on top of it. It was nice to get out of the hustle and bustle to the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back with an interior courtyard view. It was very quiet, but had no real view a...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

It was my pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the comfortable room you were allocated in turned out good. I am happy to see that the iMac computer and TV was such a convenience to you.
However with regards to the wireless internet connection, Free Wifi is available throughout the whole hotel with a 30mb broadband, also in all our hotel rooms. Therefore I very much regret the fact that the WiFi in your room was very weak during your stay. We will make sure to reset the system in order to improve the connection.

Great to hear you were able to bring a visit to our SkyLounge on the 11th floor and enjoy the wonderful views.
I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Caroline Receveur
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

This hotel is the reason my boyfriend and I didn't want to leave Amsterdam. Coming from an older property in London, a small/charming boutique in Paris, this spacious, modern, clean and AIR CONDITIONED hotel was well welcomed. We were visiting for the first time on a warm, gorgeous day so it was nice to stay here and go to the lounge and see Amsterdam in all it's glory.

The room is spacious, clean and the the Mac in the room was nice for the internet and TV. We couldn't get wi-fi on our iPad's but we didn't even try asking about it. The beds and pillows were comfortable and bathroom spacious and clean. The water pressure was amazing which is nice after scrubbing all the Amsterdam grime off of us. We did the tourist loop- Van Gogh museum, Red Light district, Heineken factory... so it was nice to "leave" that area and go back to our hotel which felt worlds away from all of that.

The Skytop lounge is a must and we were able to grab drinks while the sunset over the city. Although the drinks were ridiculously expensive (btw, everything in Amsterdam is expensive) the snacks they give you were out of this world- preserved strawberries, spicy mixed nuts and cheese cookies. We were here on a Friday night and there was a DJ set up and everything. Really fun place.

I like staying at a hotel where we can do at least one other thing- we were able to grab a drink, eat dinner and my boyfriend was able to get a workout in. It was perfect for us and I recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Even though the train passed by our "side" of the hotel, you could barely hear it- don'...
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing such a great and positive review with us on TripAdviso after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much and the comfortbale room you were in. I am glad you were able to bring a visit to our SkyLounge on the 11th floor and grab a drink while enjoyeing the beautifull views together with some music from our DJ.

With regards to the internet in your room, Free Wifi is available throughout the whole hotel with a 30mb broadband, also in all our hotel rooms. Therefore I very much regret the fact that the WiFi in your room was very weak during your stay. we will make sure to reset the system to prevent this from happening agian in teh future.

On behalf of the entire team, thank you very much again for sharing your experiences and recommendations with us. We are truly looking forward welcoming you back again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

With kind regards,
Caroline Receveur
General manager
Alpine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is smack in the middle of Amsterdam. Located next to the central train station makes it easy to catch a train or tram. Easy to find if you get lost since most trams or signs go to the central station.
This is a newer hotel - I suspect it new to the Hilton chain since it was named something else prior to the Doubletree. Had a junior suite with a king bed City view. It was excellent and quiet since it was not on the side of the train tracks which could be noisy according to many.
They use Mac computers as the TV - which is great since if you need internet access or a computer with a DVD and/or a SD card reader it is all there!
Everything in the room was functional and clean - made you feel comfortable. Ate in the morning at the buffet - food was good but if it was not included in the room there is no way I would shell-out E25 for that.
The staff were always very, very helpful. I travel a lot for business and this was on of the best as for staff service including the restaurants.
You are smack in the middle of all of the action in Amsterdam - either walk to location and sights or short tram rides.
Now for the only bad part. If you are driving a car - they have an excellent parking facility right under the hotel - but they have NO arrangement with the parking company. So one you pay an outrageous amount to park per day (up to 50 Euros - not kidding!) and two you cannot pay it to the hotel room! That's not all, the payment machines will NOT accept payment from US/Canada credit cards that do not have chips. Huh?

Room Tip: Get a room facing the City.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary P
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel is located very close to the Centraal station as mentioned by other reviewers. It is also within walking distance of the Dam Square and all the touristy places and the location is priceless. We were checked in quickly enough and presented with the customary warm cookie. Our room overlooked the city as requested and had a decent view as well. However the bed was small and not very comfortable. The biggest disappointment for me though was the bathroom. It was tiny with barely enough space to stand and take a shower. The towels were also thin and tired looking. And in spite of not facing the train station, I could hear the trains at night as I am a light sleeper. On the whole it was okay but I wouldn't classify this as a luxury hotel at all. On the next day we came back at 6 pm and the room still wasn't made. The housekeeping lady was in our room and when I asked her how come the room isn't made, she said she had to service so many rooms since the hotel is so full. I was left wondering if we'd come any earlier, the room would have been not made and would have left a really bad impression. The positives were free internet and complimentary breakfast. The service was a mixed bag. Some of the front office staff was very good while some were rude and unhelpful. I don't think I'd want to stay here again if I came back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I chose this because of its proximity to the station. I read the other reviews suggesting to get a room overlooking the canal. First night they gave it to me for free. When I checked back in 2 days later they said I had to pay 30 euros for the upgrade that would include the mini bar. I gave in as the rooms facing the city were just bad. What I found impressive were the Mac TVs and the Skytop lounge. The lounge was very hip and gave good city views. I'd recommend this only if you need to be close to the trains and if you can get a room with a view. If you're looking for a bit more character you're better off somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business