“Too expensive for a quite basic hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #58 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Belgrade
“Too expensive for a quite basic hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Good points:
- Very central - 50m from Central Station, 100m from the Red light district, 500m from Dam square
- Clean
- Apple computer/TV in every room
- Good and fast service
- Sky bar with a great view on the top
- Free Wireless

Not so good points:
- Many rooms overlooking railways - DO NOT TAKE THEM! You can hear trains like they are in your room
- Too expensive for a hotel that charge additionally for a shaving kit, for example (that should be for free)
- During the traffic rush you need a lot of time to reach other parts of the city - if you are there for business
- It's huge hotel - rooms are sometimes not cleaned until late afternoon (6pm)

Good for tourists. There are better options if you are there for business.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms overlooking the railways!!! Even "garden" view is better option.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EstebanBelgrado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

It has taken me some time to finally write a review for my trip to Amsterdam back in August, but as they say, better late than never!

My partner and I decided to head over to Amsterdam (our first time can you believe!) for 4 days during the middle of August and had a thoroughly enjoyable time over there, helped by the fact that we stayed in a fantastic hotel. The Mint Hotel, which is located only minutes from the Amsterdam Central station was clean, a stress-free experience, with service that was very helpful and friendly.

We touched base with Daphne before we arrived in Amsterdam to request a quiet room with a good view, as well as gathering information from their Concierge on recommended activities for both us to do during our short stay there. Both of these requests were handled by them and we indeed got provided with a fantastic room giving us a view of the main town across the river with no noise distraction.

The availability of having a Mac in all rooms was also an added bonus, which now makes me think why other hotels don't have something similar to this as it is something which is far more useful than you would think! Watching TV, surfing the net, and hotel information all on one device.

One thing I recommend to people staying in the hotel is to check out The Sky Lounge - a spectacular place at the top of the hotel to relax and/or unwind after a long day out and about the town and can see why it is a popular setting!

Overall, our stay at Mint Hotel was fantastic and will definitely be looking to stay here again on my next trip there. Another tip for those staying here is to book the hotel bicycles in advance of checking in. Amsterdam is a popular bicycle city, probably one of the best (if not THE best!) in Europe, and thus are in big demand. Unfortunately, there were none available to book when we were there, but we booked with a local rental company and only wished we hired earlier to use around the City!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Location wise it is excellent. 2 mins walk from Centraal. Nice views over the river. Hotel is nicely appointed. Rooms are clean and Airy and obviously going for the modern touch with the IMAC in every room. Nice bars nad restaurants too and reasonably priced. Main issue however was the reception. It was ALWAYS exceptinally busy. Having travelled for over 12 hours the last thing I wanted was to have to stand around reception for 45 mins waiting to check in. It was also v busy when checking out. Every time I walked past reception there appeared to be oceans of people milling about waiting to be seen. The staff were pleasant, friendly and apologetic which helped a little but sort this out and you will have an excellent hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

This hotel is quite new, the facilities are clean and modern, and the views are fabulous. If you can upgrade to the Club room with Balcony it is well worth the extra money. The rooms themselves are on the small side, with very limited storage space, but the balcony is large and usable, and ours had a fabulous view overlooking all of Old Amsterdam. Though it is not really in a neighborhood (it is near Central Station, across the tracks from all of Amsterdam), the location was OK, because of the view and also because the trams all converge on Central Station, so it is easy to get almost anywhere in town. On the downside, when I was there the hotel was understaffed. The first day, my room did not get cleaned until I returned back in the evening and called down to request it. Even on later days, cleaning did not occur until very late afternoon - often at a time that was inconvenient for me. There was usually a bit of a wait at the concierge desk, and the quality of the staff was mixed - they had some excellent people, and also some who were not very helpful at all. and some design elements were just not well thought out. For example, the only phone was located next to the bed, and this was a corded phone. So if you should want to place a business call while sitting at the desk, you would need to use your cell phone - the cord won't reach.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a new hotel but after staying there for eight nights I need a holiday.

Yes, it's in a good location with good facilities but let itself down by having uncomfortable beds (I changed room due to several rooms being blah-spots for wifi and mobile reception.) and unhelpful, badly trained staff who have obviously never worked in a supposed 4/5 star hotel before. Here's a list of incompetence and self-serving that is jus not acceptable:

- My bag was lost changing rooms.
- Taxis are called by the front desk as they take a commission on every fare. Call the local company it's cheaper and quicker by about 15mins on average.
- Beds are uncomfortable – too hard.
- Room charges from other people on my room. The response from the girl on the front desk, "What do you care your company's paying for it." WOW...!
- The Sky Bar – I asked a waiter if he could bring my drinks outside onto the roof terrace. He replied, "It's too cold, we're not aloud to go outside because it's too cold." But wait it gets better. Moments later a waitress came out onto the terrace, no not to serve someone because remember it's to cold, but to have a fag break. Yes, a fag break. Next to paying guest who have been told their staff can't provide a out service because it's too cold.

So really, the fact that it's in a great location and has a great view was overshadowed, by incompetent, dishonest, self-serving staff. What a shocker. Would I stay there again,

ONLY IF THEY CHANGE MANAGEMENT, STAFF AND THE BEDS... TERRIBLE...!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank swjad1
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I want to express my utmost gratitude for your comments on Tripadvisor in which you express your experiences with the Mint Hotel Amsterdam after your recent stay. We very much appreciate your feedback as it´s obviously gives us the opportunity to improve our levels of service in any way possible.

I can fully understand your disappointment in the Mint Hotel Amsterdam after not receiving the customer service you may expect from us.
With regards to the lady at the front desk I am very sorry you received such a comment. I learned that the comment was meant as a joke but I understand and agree that this is a very misplaced comment at this point of time. Please accept my sincere apologies.

In response to the comment about the taxi company that we use I would like to inform you that we do not work on commission. However we are doing business with one particular company but only because we think they are very trustworthy, polite and good taxi drivers. I do regret the fact that they were not on time when you needed the taxi. I am very sorry about this.

You have pointed out some very valuable points for us and we do intend to take your comments very seriously as it allows us to improve our service and quality where possible. Our staff is very service minded and are still being trained on the job in order to improve the service level. I have discussed all your comments with all involved departments in order to prevent such situations from happening again in the future.

Sir/Madam, ever since our recent opening in May our team has been highly dedicated to provide our guests with the highest level of customer service and distinguish ourselves not only with a beautiful product, but especially with detailed customer care and personal attention. It has therefore been a great disappointment for us all to learn we have not been able to deliver this promise during your stay.

I would appreciate if you maybe could send me an email to discuss this further perosnally. amsterdam.reservations@minthotel.com.

I do hope that we still have an opportunity to show you that the above experiences are based upon single incidents which should not have happened. I once more offer our sincere apologies.

Kind regards,
Daphne Diender
Sales & Marketing
Mint Hotel Amsterdam
Longford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights in September. The hotel was very modern. The staff were especially friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was exceptional with alot of choice. The iMac in the room was great with free wifi. The hotel is central to everything in Amsterdam and we never had to use public transport. We arrived early for check in and this was not a problem we were given a room straight away. Loved staying here and would stay here again if visiting Amsterdam

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time and sharing your kind words with us on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate it.

I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and everything the hotel has to offer like the iMac, the breakfast and the convenience of the hotels´ location.

I was even more happy to learn that our staff was so friendly and helpfull. Our staff if very sevrice minded and I am glad that you were able to exprecience this. I have naturally passed on your kind words to the enitre Mint team.

Thank you very much one more time for sharing your experiences with us. I am already looking forward to your next visit and welcoming you back at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Kind regards,
Daphne Diender
Sales & Marketing
Mint Hotel Amsterdam
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Just come back from staying in this hotel with friends for my 40th birthday. Great location, great food, great service, great price. The Sky Bar with it's stunning views over the city is breathtaking day or night. Reserve a table as it can get busy but you never feel the place is over crowded. The bar supervisor Tariq was brilliant at making cocktails for all the ladies in my party. Our room was clean with a well stocked mini bar, apple computer/tv free wi-fi, gorgeous White Company of London toiletries, with plenty of towels and robes. Checking in and out was quick and efficient which I like as I hate queues even though I'm British and were renowned for liking an orderly queue. Would defiantly go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view when your booking
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends