“Not for a Romantic weekend away”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #62 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The Hotel is still being done up so lots of noise outside. The rooms are small but nice. The Mac in the room is great. It took us 20 minutes in the Q to check in at reception which is a pain and then when we did ask to check in early we where told we where not aloud, to come back at 3 and Q all over again. Then when I aksed for a room away from the back (noisy from Trainstation) I was told it would cost 45Euro more per night! The water pressure in the sink was terrible and the first knock was at 8.45am the next day to clean the room. It was an ok hotel but to be honest when I return I will stay at a different hotel because you feel like you are being churned out with thousands of others in this hotel! No personality at all! If you are trying to impress the girlfriend Definetly pick somewhere else!

Room Tip: If you want a room that you cant hear trains They charge you 45 euro per night!
1  Thank peter D
Write a ReviewReviews (7,308)

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have just returned from a 3-night stay at this hotel. It looks very impressive from the outside with it's full length windows and a bonus being only a 5 min walk from central station.

On arrival, the staff were very friendly and welcoming offering any information (if needed) on getting around Amsterdam. We had a minor glitch on getting the key cards to work in the elevator and on returning to reception (twice)! they were very aplogetic and gave us a new set of keys.

The room was exactly as described, with the modern deco, including an apple iMac in each room (living area separate from bedroom). The room was serviced each day, even when we didn't go out til later one day.

Also, after returning back late one evening we decided to have meal through room service. It was wonderful! The service was prompt and courteous and the food was amazing!!! The price was even less than what we had paid at an 'average' restaurant the previous night.. I was very impressed!

All in all, a fantastic experience in a hotel with a great location. Central...but not smack, bang in the middle of it all. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011

I was in this Hotel from 25 to 28 Aug
Positive :
1-very good welcome service from Mr Leon in Front Desk ( a tall and handsome Man ) . special thanks to him as they gave me very good room and a lot of information about city ,he respects all the guests and he has smile all the time to guests which is good .he did respect to me like a king
2-very good service in the resto from Mr Kim ,Mr Toni ,Mr Martinj ,Mrs Erika , Mrs Stephanie
3-Very Good View in my Room ( room 527 )
4- Good location ,near central station and Hop on hope off bus and canal bus
5- clean and good quality room ,modern room and technology
6- free high speed internet
7- free umbrella for you in a rainy day in amsterdam from front desk which was a good gift.
8- a welcome drink from front desk
Negative :
1-expensive price for room .
2-very expensive breakfast
3-smell of drug during the night from other room !!!! which was a bad memory as it is normal in Amsterdam . so the hotel should use a good system to reduce the bad smell to make a good air for the rooms and guests who dose not like to smell drug .
4- it was a 15 euro card for resto for lunch as advertisement and the resto team didn’t inform me about it ,so I paid more than 30 euro 2 times and the last day I could find this cards on the front desk and used it . so It is good that you ask this cards from front desk to save money .
5- the team in sky bar are not friendly and dose not have smile and they didn’t show me a good welcome
6-the housekeeping forgot 2 times to put shampoo and bath gel for me and I called them 2 times and wait for it 30 minutes .
7- the service for check in and check out is slow and you have to wait and wait
8- the reception dose not answer the phone and you have to call and call and call ……
9- very slow service from houskeeping . 1 day they didnt clean my room ,untile the time that i called them , however i put the card on the door to clean the room .
Finally I would like to recommend this hotel for Location and Clean and modern room .
Choose the train from airport to central station for 5 euro and it takes 15 minutes .
Choose hope on hope off bus if you like to see amstedram from the top as when you are in the Canal bus ,you see everything from the river and when it is rain ,the window of Canal bus is not very clear to take photo
Special Thanks to Mr Leon in Front desk and Mrs. Erica and Mr. Kim in Resto who gave me a good hospitality and respect me all the time very good .

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Farshad74
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us, we are always open for feedback and highly appreciate it.

I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your clean and comfortable room so much and that the location of the hotel was such a convenience. I am even more happy to read that you received such good service from our front desk and City Cafe staff members. Naturally I have passed on your kind words to the entire team, especially to Leon, Kim, Tonin, Martijn, Erika and Stephanie. They were very happy that could have contributed to your pleasant stay.

However i am sorry to hear that your remaining employee experiences have not been that good as the service you received was slow and not always friendly. This is defenility not according to our hotel standards and hospitality vision and I will naturally take this up internally with all involved departments in order to prevent this from happening in the future and to improve where possible. Our staff is very service minded and are still being trained to obtain the best service you would expect from us.

Sir, one more time please accept my sincere apologies. Our hotel has only recently opened and you will understand the above is definitely not representative for the way we aim to welcome our appreciated guests. I therefore hope that we will be able to show you in the future that your experiences are based upon a series of very unfortunate incidents and I do guarantee you we are taking your comments and concerns very seriously.

Thank you for staying with us and for reccomending our hotel to friends and familie. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We just had a wonderful stay at this brand new hotel for 3 nights. We were a big family so we had a few rooms booked at this hotel. When we arrived, we didn't have much of a first impression, other than the fact that there were still some construction around the area, and that the main entrance was at the back where we had to pass some construction looking area, but I'm sure that'll get cleaned up soon.

When we proceeded to check-in, it was very crowded. I think there was a tour checking in or checking out right before us, so that was quite a wait. The interior lobby is very modern, not the classic stuff that you'll see in Paris, but very clean and new, which is what we were looking for.

The hallway of the rooms or the lift didn't scream luxury, they were in fact very basic. The rooms also had that same theme but there were a few things we really loved about the hotel rooms. First of all, the iMac desktop each room had. The system was nice, you could watch TV, surf the internet, play music, etc from the desktop, it was very easy to use and a really nice touch. The free wi-fi in every room was also a huge plus. I think hotels that charge for internet are very outdated, so this should set a good precedent.

Service in general was top notch. They had receptionists of various nationalities all speaking very good english and were very helpful, even though the hotel was often crowded with people checking in or out.

The breakfast was excellent. They didn't have huge varieties, but everything they had was good quality and very generous. It was buffet style, and for drinks you could have coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or any of the fresh juices on tap. If you book this hotel, you should get the breakfast included, it really makes your day, and starts it off well.

The bathroom was very minimalist, but most importantly, was spotless and clean. In fact, you couldn't tell that its ever been used, which was perfect. They had pump liquid soap for shower which was a nice touch. It doesn't have a bathtub and was compact, however it was sufficient.

Location was also good, 5 minute walk to Central Station which is the hub of Amsterdam. And calling taxis was easy and convenient. Trams and buses are also nearby, giving you many options for transportation.

The Sky Lounge was decent but didn't really eat or chill there so can't really comment.

If I had any complaints, it'd be the following : The gym was alright, didn't have any windows, so running on the treadmills, you'd be facing a concrete wall. And it isn't as nice as those 5 star hotel gyms in Asia, but then again, Mint isn't a 5 star typical hotel, its more of the high-tech boutique hotel of modern feel. Secondly, I don't think there was a pool, so that was that.

Overall, loved this hotel, really made the Amsterdam visit very pleasant. I had walked past a few other hotels nearby with good locations, they were all very dated. This was really the best option if you're looking for a clean and new hotel, one where you'd happily step on the carpet or the bathroom barefeet without that instinctive desire to curl your toes to avoid grimes.

Definitely recommend this to any Amsterdam visitors.

P.S. The Guest Services were also awesome, they had tickets for any shows or daily excursions, and they handled restaurant reservations very efficiently. I don't know if Dutch efficiency is the reason, but this Hotel was definitely very timely and efficient in their service.

Room Tip: Request for high floor facing city to avoid train noises. Avoid 10th floor, footstep noises from 11t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank checkincheck0ut
Reviewed August 28, 2011

On arrival, stands out the very impersonal style of the lobby, with a colder ambiance than an airport. Staff is dressed in black with (few) green stripes that give the impression they are soldiers of Mint´s army, but the reception´s service is very good in very well spoken english, guessing what we wanted without needing to ask, like taking care of luggage after checking out till departure time.
All common spaces were clean but some specific zones looked like they were in repair works: air ducts visible, puddles on the tile floor near big windows, elevators hall being painted in the afternoon, but nothing that interfered with the functionality.
First impression of the room was very good: spotless and with sober decoration. WiFi works very well and the hotel's Mac with radio and TV broadcast with remote control is useful and looks nice with the decor. Our room overlooks railway lines, but it´s almost at the same level of the trains (3rd floor) and I expected noise. Really it was no outside noise at all, because the thick glass walls and the unique small window that could be opened and closed closed the external sounds, like trains or music in the courtyard, were muted and we could "enjoy" the continuous murmur of a ventilation or any other system different than the AC in our room, because with the AC switched off the sound continued without interruption.
Air conditioning system should be malfunctioning because always produced a light cold breeze even in the hottest position. Fortunately the air openings aren´t over the bed and the room was comfortable with the AC off, so it didn´t became a problem. The morning we checked out the AC panel is blinking, probably informing that is really damaged.
The bed mattress is too smooth for my taste, giving the feeling of sinking. I prefer stiffer ones. The pillows are very good. I need to be well covered while sleeping otherwise I get cold very easily. Nevertheless the bed cover was very very hot, making me sweat with t-shirt and shorts pajamas. Should be excelent for winter but not for summer nights, dispite the rain and the 14ºC temperatures in the outside.
Right in front of the glass walls of the bedroom there is a courtyard with ambient music being played, accessible from the third and fourth floor. Could be used to breath fresh air or to smoke. It´s all uncovered so it´s a useful place if it isn´t raining. The ambient music should be at a lower volume, because it´s too imposing in the bedrooms near if the window is open.
Bathroom has a good shower. The lavatory´s flat design difficult residues draining
The room is equipped with hair drier, iron and ironing board, refrigerator, water boiling pot ,safe box and only one robe (strange for a double room).
We chose this hotel essentially because it´s near to Centraal Station (5 mins walk) and we don´t regret. Arriving to a unknown city and getting so easily to the hotel without additional transportation or doubts about where to head is fantastic.
Altogether, we´ve no doubt recommending this hotel for a visit to Amsterdam (value for money, convenient location, helpful staff). It´s not an hotel to create romantic moods but for that there´s the streets and channels of A´dam´s city!

Room Tip: If you can, choose south oriented rooms ´cause they have view to the city.
1  Thank rpmartins

Dear Mr. Martins,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share you experiences on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay so much with us and everything the hotel has to offer with regards to cleanliness, comfort, location and staff. I will pass on your kind words to the entire team!

Thank you again for your kind words and for recommending our hotel for a visit to Amsterdam. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. What a treat! When I arrived earlier than the posted check in time, I was warmly greeted, and luckily, given a room at seven in the morning, when clearly the time for check in is at 3. The space itself is quite mammoth, and frankly, in the best spot. It took me no time to travel from the airport to Central Station. And, just less than a five mile walk, you are there, at the hotel.

I loved the location and felt quite safe. The modern decor is sleek and minimal. And for European standards, the rooms are sparse, especially the bathrooms. My first night was good. But, the view was less than desirable. So, I asked to be transferred to another room. When I returned after sightseeing the following afternoon, my luggage was already moved to the ninth floor with sweeping views of the city in a new, larger room.

Each night whether I had a question about on restaurants, museums, are day trips, the front desk and guest services staff were extremely helpful and professional, allowing me to feel comfortable. I really felt happy that I was in a hotel where everyone smiled and cared and went out of their way to assist me.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying in Amsterdam. Aside from the fact that this particular space is only four months into operation, it functions well and is separate enough from the touristy part of town which can get wearing after a while. When I visit Amsterdam again, this is the only place I will stay. I hope to be lucky enough to encounter the same staff that aided me in my travels.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on tripadvisor

I am very happy to read that you loved your stay so much and it was such a treat for you! I am glad you have been able to enjoy everything thehotel has to offer in terms of location, comfort and most important our service minded staff. I have naturally passed on your kind words to the entire team and they were very happy they have been able to contribute to your pleasant stay.

On behalf of the Mint Team thank you very much again for your kind words and for recommending us. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 day visit to Amsterdam. The location is very good, being right next to Central Station, but can be a little far from some of the tourist spots such as the Museums, Leidseplein and Jordaan. The hotel itself is very well presented, and staff very polite. However, on one day we left the room at around 10am and returned at 4.30pm to find that the room had not yet been cleaned (even though we had left the 'clean me' tag on the outside of the door). We had to ask at reception 3 times for the room to be cleaned, and over and hour and a half later it eventually was. The towels that we were promised immediately upon complaining turned up over 2 hours later. At no point were we offered anything to appease us, staff simply apologised and were ineffectual, although polite. This was disappointing, as apart from this, the stay was extremely pleasant.