New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #23 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York, NY
“I heart The Dylan.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This place is pricey, but so delicious. It was the perfect spot to relax and unwind on my way home from a long business trip in Europe. The location, of course, is unbeatable. The public spaces are lovely. The staff is warm and gracious. And my room - just a simple double - was absolutely charming and impeccably appointed. It's not a large room, mind you, but the "Kimono" design made me feel like I was in my own personal studio in the city. I love boutique hotels but dislike overly minimalist and sleek design, so this is perfect for me. I stayed at the Pulitzer (on SPG points) last time I was in town and I VASTLY prefer The Dylan. The Pulitzer is also lovely, but it's more traditional/classic - more of a typical hotel - than warm/contemporary. I think The Dylan is a wonderful and unique experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Arriving at the Dylan in freezing weather only last week was a disappointment. No doorman to take our bags inside, no receptionist to greet us and a freezing cold lobby. The manager quickly rectified this and we were brought straight to our room overlooking one of Amsterdam's most beautiful canals. Huge, with a four poster oriental bed and furniture plus a window into the well equipped bathroom. It was just perfect. Our bags arrived a few minutes later and we settled in. The facilities of this hotel are legendary. (Used to be called Blakes) and we were not disappointed. However room service was a lottery. Each time we ordered It took too long, required at least two follow up calls each time we ordered for items that were wrong or forgotten but at least it always tasted good. The bed could have done with a few extra pillows and the plumbing is in dire need of a serious overhaul. Boiling hot water and too little cold water pressure is not enjoyable for taking a shower in I can tell you. Again such a wonderful hotel is let down by a very poor choice of tv stations and an antiquated tube television, no iphone dock or no music facilities of any kind. Come on Dylan, clean up your act or you won't stay a 5 Star for much longer....However all in all I recommend the Dylan. Just get the manager to sort out any problems you have straight away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

It's a nice and trendy hotel, very well locate, but everything is small there.
The lobby is small, the gym room is exceptionnally small (3 people can fit only), and our room was small too.
InRoom breakfast was average.
Parking is a real problem.
I prefered the Pulitzer.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I spent a lovely weekend staying here. Our bedroom was bright, light and very comfortable. The bathroom was heavenly and the products great. The concierge were not great on tips of where to go shopping/eating but we found our own way as the hotel is well located. I would happily return here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The Dylan was a wonderful experience. We stayed here for two nights over NYE.

ROOM: Our room was extremely spacious, as was the bathroom. Should note that we received an upgrade from the Deluxe Double to the Superior Canal View room. I specifically requested the Kimono ahead of time; recommend you look at the various room styles the Dylan offers and choose one in advance, since each is so vastly different. The room was fantastically designed - sliding doors between the bathroom and the rest of the room allowed you to have everything completely open. It was amazing to take a bath while looking outside at the houses lining the canals. Our room also had a cozy couch with plenty of great reading material on the side tables - design/travel books and magazines, amsterdam-specific, etc. Lots of attention to detail with superb little touches in general. The one thing the Dylan could improve in the rooms would be an update to the outdated CD Bose system. There was a jack for our iPod still though.

STAFF: Really made this hotel stand out. Especially considering that service in Holland leaves a lot to be desired. Whatever we requested was brought to the room within mintutes, with a smile (extra towels, ironing board, etc). We had a very charming bartender who kicked off our NYE in style - thanks, Pascal! Also special thanks to Joost.

RESTAURANT: Unfortunately the restaurant Vinkeles (MIchelin star) is being renovated through end of January '10 so didn't get to try. Bar & incredibly spacious lounge area with cozy fireplace were still open though. All room service we ordered was excellent - they do an especially fabulous breakfast.

LOCATION: The hotel is located right in the fashionable Nine Streets districts, my favorite area of Amsterdam. Lots of great little cafes, boutiques, restaurants. Recommend checking out Goodies for incredible Italian lunch/dinner, Cafe Nielsen for brunch, and Cafe Wolvenstraat for an afternoon drink with a great vibe (they also do great Thai dishes).

Book the Dylan - more than worth it!!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank urban_n0mad
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I agree with the previous review and probably wouldn't go back either. There was nothing really wrong with this hotel but it was not that special. It is just a nice boutique hotel, with friendly staff and very efficient concierge. I advise you do not book a room with canal view if you want a quiet night : the rooms do not have double glazed windows and there often is a lot of noice on the street (you can actually hear people talking !).
Small bathrooms. Limited buffet breakfast. Cozy lounge/bar area.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank veroniquevdp
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I've stayed at a lot of great hotels in Europe (Ritz, Four Seasons) and The Dylan really sticks out in my mind as being incredible. The staff is extremly nice. We had some noise in the courtyard late at night and my husband called the front desk. It was as if someone turned a switch to off and the loud guests were immediately brought inside. The restaurant is incredible. I don't typically like to eat dinner at the hotel I'm staying at but the food is well worth it at The Dylan. Overall, my husband and I really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple