“a nice shoebox”

Ranked #22 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Paris
“a nice shoebox”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

It's a nice and trendy hotel, very well locate, but everything is small there.
The lobby is small, the gym room is exceptionnally small (3 people can fit only), and our room was small too.
InRoom breakfast was average.
Parking is a real problem.
I prefered the Pulitzer.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I spent a lovely weekend staying here. Our bedroom was bright, light and very comfortable. The bathroom was heavenly and the products great. The concierge were not great on tips of where to go shopping/eating but we found our own way as the hotel is well located. I would happily return here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed January 4, 2010

The Dylan was a wonderful experience. We stayed here for two nights over NYE.

ROOM: Our room was extremely spacious, as was the bathroom. Should note that we received an upgrade from the Deluxe Double to the Superior Canal View room. I specifically requested the Kimono ahead of time; recommend you look at the various room styles the Dylan offers and choose one in advance, since each is so vastly different. The room was fantastically designed - sliding doors between the bathroom and the rest of the room allowed you to have everything completely open. It was amazing to take a bath while looking outside at the houses lining the canals. Our room also had a cozy couch with plenty of great reading material on the side tables - design/travel books and magazines, amsterdam-specific, etc. Lots of attention to detail with superb little touches in general. The one thing the Dylan could improve in the rooms would be an update to the outdated CD Bose system. There was a jack for our iPod still though.

STAFF: Really made this hotel stand out. Especially considering that service in Holland leaves a lot to be desired. Whatever we requested was brought to the room within mintutes, with a smile (extra towels, ironing board, etc). We had a very charming bartender who kicked off our NYE in style - thanks, Pascal! Also special thanks to Joost.

RESTAURANT: Unfortunately the restaurant Vinkeles (MIchelin star) is being renovated through end of January '10 so didn't get to try. Bar & incredibly spacious lounge area with cozy fireplace were still open though. All room service we ordered was excellent - they do an especially fabulous breakfast.

LOCATION: The hotel is located right in the fashionable Nine Streets districts, my favorite area of Amsterdam. Lots of great little cafes, boutiques, restaurants. Recommend checking out Goodies for incredible Italian lunch/dinner, Cafe Nielsen for brunch, and Cafe Wolvenstraat for an afternoon drink with a great vibe (they also do great Thai dishes).

Book the Dylan - more than worth it!!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank urban_n0mad
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I agree with the previous review and probably wouldn't go back either. There was nothing really wrong with this hotel but it was not that special. It is just a nice boutique hotel, with friendly staff and very efficient concierge. I advise you do not book a room with canal view if you want a quiet night : the rooms do not have double glazed windows and there often is a lot of noice on the street (you can actually hear people talking !).
Small bathrooms. Limited buffet breakfast. Cozy lounge/bar area.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank veroniqueVDP
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I've stayed at a lot of great hotels in Europe (Ritz, Four Seasons) and The Dylan really sticks out in my mind as being incredible. The staff is extremly nice. We had some noise in the courtyard late at night and my husband called the front desk. It was as if someone turned a switch to off and the loud guests were immediately brought inside. The restaurant is incredible. I don't typically like to eat dinner at the hotel I'm staying at but the food is well worth it at The Dylan. Overall, my husband and I really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Lviv
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This hotel is amazing. Each room has its own little story to tell. The rooms are big, clean, and have great design. Our room was two levels, bathroom was on the second level and a huge bathtub, super comfortable and fits two people. The service was great, everyone at the hotel was super nice and friendly. They have free tickets to several museums in Amsterdam which is really beneficial to museum lovers (that way you don't have to stand in a huge 2 mile line at the museum). The restaurant is amazing!!! The food is so delicious and every plate is a presentation of something. Really great and super tasty food. Our friend wanted her lamb more well-done and the Chef of the restaurant personally brought her the plate back!!!!! The location of the hotel is perfect, you are close not only to the main attractions of the city but also to the train station. Hotel also offers great bicycles that you can rent for a day. It is a great way to see the city.

This hotel is perfect for your honeymoon but also for a business conference. It has super big conference room which is decorated in a very tasteful yet fashionable way.

This hotel is amazing and I will stay there every time I got to Amsterdam!!!!! Three thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank viktoriyab
New York
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I wanted to write about the Dylan because I am not sure that it's worth the money and the hype. I am a seasoned traveler with pretty discriminating tastes in hotels and restaurants. There was nothing WRONG with the Dylan but there was nothing spectacular about it either. I don't know what the other hotels in Amsterdam are like as this was our first visit there but I was generally underwhelmed with the delux room that we paid for. The room was small and the bathroom was a steep staircase below that made me think twice about going to the bathroom (and I am in great shape). The cleaning staff was sloppy (the nightstand had streaks of dust) and the restaurant for breakfast had the smallest offering of breakfast choices that I had ever seen in a 5 star hotel. I also ordered scrambled eggs which came out like yellow cottage cheese and was inedible. My conclusion is that it's not worth the hype or the price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family