Wanted a luxury hotel for a special occasion, so we went on the recommendation of 2 well known travel sources, instead of listening to the gripes people had about this hotel on tripadvisor. Did not live up to a 5 star hotel, paid 420 Euros/night for 5 nights for an executive river view room on the 4th floor. Room was large, but very dimly lit in all areas, river view was not that impressive. 2 windows overlooking the river, but one was in the bathroom, well actually in the shower stall. Very nice, large bathroom with huge shower and separate tub.
Hotel was quiet overall, except whenever anyone walked down the hallway, the sound/vibration of their footsteps disrupted our sleep, especially early in the morning. Many early riser business people and maids up and down the hallway. The head of our bed was against the hallway wall, never seen this in a hotel before. No coffee maker in our room. We were offered 2 glasses of complimentary champagne (by the woman who checked us in) that never came; don't offer anything you can't deliver. I should have known service would be questionable when I emailed the hotel a question before my stay, and never heard back from them. After waiting 14 days for a response, I sent a follow-up email entitled "2nd request", then I received a response.
Housekeeping was not stellar, we had to complain to housekeeping that our rug had not been vaccuumed in 3 days and one of our trash cans was not emptied after morning maid service. It was cleaned though after turn-down service. I suppose they didn't see that the rug needed vacuuming due to the bad lighting. Rather than using a vacuum to clean up crumbs, housekeeping deemed it more appropriate to cover the crumbs with the floor mat and slippers left during turndown service. This is 5 star service? Hardly. Sometimes our robes were hung up, and other times not. Sometimes our slippers were laid out bedside with turn-down service and sometimes not. Small things, but things that should be mastered by a 5 star hotel.
The concierge, his name was Aad, was outstanding. He was a pleasure and always helpful. On our first day we sat down for breakfast and waited a long time before we were approached by staff. We had omelettes that were delicious. We asked for 2 glasses of water which were brought out from the kitchen already poured, so we were very surprised when we were charged 9 Euros for the 2 glasses. It was our first meal in Amsterdam, so we were not aware that most places only have bottled water. Not many restaurants/ cafes close by to grab breakfast, would have preferred a hotel with a more central location, but we opted for the Amstel river view. We didn't feel the hotel was a value for the price we paid. The rooms need some updating too. Permanent furniture indentations in many spots of the rug where furniture previously was, crack in the ceiling over the bed, mismatched paint to cover another repair on the ceiling.
Prepaid for a better price 3 months in advance, so don't understand why there is a pending credit card charge for almost $2000 plus another misc amount. All extras that were charged to our room were paid upon check-out.
If you really love Van Gogh, go to the Kroeller Muller museum in Otterlo, it's actually better than the Van Gogh museum! Would not recommend hotel based on value and location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal Carré Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam