1,202 results
All reviews la rive river view beautiful hotel classic hotel health club concierge team turn down service junior suite rain shower steam room the check in process duty manager star hotel an upgrade wonderful stay large bathroom beautiful room
Selected filters
Reviewed December 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at IC Amstel again with my wife and her parents. The check in agent recognised me from our stay last year. We booked one room in my name (Spire Ambassador) and in my wife’s (Spire). Both upgraded to riverside rooms. I got 4pm guaranteed late check out.

The rooms as last time were well appointed in a classic style with a really comfortable bed and nice toiletries.

I didn’t mention to staff that we were celebrating my birthday but a delicious cake and half a bottle of campagne were delivered to my room.

Overall excellent. The Amstel is a hotel you’ll want to keep on coming back to.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Jan-Paul K, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2018

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

First of all, congratulations on your birthday once again! I would like to extend my most sincere gratitude for taking the time to share your amazing experience with us on TripAdvisor. It fills me with joy to hear that we provided you with an excellent stay in Amsterdam and I am more than happy to read that you have enjoyed one of our classic style rooms with a really comfortable bed and nice toiletries. I look forward to welcome you again at the Amstel Hotel in the nearest future.

Reviewed November 28, 2018

We planned a last minute trip to Amsterdam and relied on the InterContinental for a nice hotel. From the moment we walked through the door until the day we left, we were treated like royalty. The rooms far exceeded our expectations, they were huge and beautifully decorated and the staff treated us they royalty. Every staff member went above and beyond to make our stay as special as possible. I look forward to my next trip back to be spoiled again.

Room tip: I had the basic room and it was fantastic! You can't go wrong with any room.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jan-Paul K, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2018

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

I would like to extend my most sincere gratitude for taking the time to share your amazing experience with us on TripAdvisor. It fills me with joy to hear that we provided you with the best stay in Amsterdam and I am more than happy to read that my team did their utmost best to spoil you from beginning until end. I look forward to welcoming you again at the Amstel Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2018

I really enjoyed my stay at the Amstel Intercontinental in Amsterdam! We had a beautiful room overlooking the canal and the room was beautifully decorated! I enjoyed the swimming pool (which is on the same level as the canal, steam and sauna). The staff is friendly and attentive! I would enjoy staying at this property in the future!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Jan-Paul K, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2018

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your lovely experience with InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam. I am more than happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in one of our beautiful hotel rooms overlooking the canal so much, as well as our indoor swimming pool. It fills me with joy to hear that my team did their greatest best to provide you with friendly and attentive service from beginning until end. I want to thank you for the great compliments. I look forward to welcoming you again in the nearest future.

With warm regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2018

I decided to celebrate my 29th birthday at one of my bucket list hotels and I can say our weekend was FAR beyond our expectations. Since Prosecco at the check in, to an upgrade, to the wonderful surprise in my room to continue the celebration. Thank you to all the staff involved and for raising the bar high for the next hotels on my list. If you want to experience a very classic kind of luxury, The Intercontinental Amstel is IT!

Room tip: 314 best view!
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jan-Paul K, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2018

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

First of all, congratulations on your 29th birthday once again! I would like to extend my most sincere gratitude for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us on TripAdvisor. It fills me with joy to hear that we provided you with a most enjoyable stay in Amsterdam.
I want to thank you for the amazing compliments and I look forward to welcome you again at the Amstel Hotel in the nearest future.

Reviewed November 18, 2018 via mobile

Firstly we are Intercontinental’s biggest fans. They are our brand of choice so much so we have been Royal Ambassadors for many years. However we feel so disappointed after our stay. There is no point staying here if everything is a fight.

To summarise these are the issues we faced

No room on arrival. Told we might have to wait 5 hours yet they knew our arrival flight and we booked their airport transfer.
No breakfast yet this is included as a Royal Ambassador. Presented with a €78 bill on breakfast day 2 not 1. Why?
No club lounge. Yet even today we can be mislead and book a club room with club benefits online.
No canapés, afternoon tea, drinks or club area.

The Royal ambassador programme includes breakfast and early check in, canapés, afternoon tea and drinks as well as access to the club lounge.

We have discovered that Amsterdam one of only 3 Intercontinental’s in the world with no club lounge
This is no clear on their webpage and when you book
We can still go online today and be mislead into booking a club room on the IHG website at this hotel as Royal Ambassadors.

Reception didn’t know we were arriving. Didn’t know when we were leaving. There is poor management and communication between team members. Only Tim on Concierge got matters right.

The front desk spoke proudly of ambassador benefits such as the 600 points, free WiFi we could have. This is not important when you don’t have a room or the other more imortant benefits.

We caught a very early flight to enjoy Amsterdam. We wanted a change and unpack yet our room was not available.

This is despite the hotel Knowing when we were arriving. We had provided our flight details and arranged a hotel transfer in their car. Everything went smoothly until we stepped into the hotel and were told we would have a 4 hour wait for our room. After a ‘fight’ we got a room an hour later.

Sadly this is happening at too many hotels within the group and the hotels that don’t follow the Ambassador programme rules not only let down the Ambassador members who pay for membeship and are loyal and trusting of the brand but these hotels also let down the amazing hotels that follow the programme such as London, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo and Madrid.

We have had issues in the past few years with the following hotels for not following the programme;

Hotel Indigo London offered no late check out. After a fight an an apology was provided.
Amsterdam no lounge or Royal Ambassador benefits.
Danang no double upgrade. Apology.
Ko Samui no lounge. Apology.

This is leading to loyalty and trust breaking down in the programme. There seem to be too many franchisees running IHT hotels who are just doing what they want.

We love Amsterdam. However we will move away from IHG next time. We no longer have the confidence to live the IHG life which IHT promote as hotels in the group are picking and choosing what parts of the programme they wish to apply but not mentioning this at the point of booking. All bookings we make are though IHG direct so there is no excuse.

Therefore we recommend that IHG members think carefully before booking this hotel if you like the benefits of the programme. Other than the room upgrade there are no Club benefits other than very minor ones such as arrival drink and 600 bonus points. There is no Club lounge, complimentary breakfast, canapés, drinks, afternoon tea etc. We were also not given our room on arrival at 11 am and told we may have to wait until 3 pm yet the rules state a guarantee room from 8 am.

In short this doesn’t feel like an Intercontinental hotel. We felt everything was too much stress and hassle. All the things that Club membership is supposed to take away.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk to the City. Luckily it didn’t rain but if it had other than the swimming pool there is simply nothing to do as all areas are crowded with day guests and there is no area for Club members. Very very disappointing and in our opinion grossly misleading.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank umier

Dear Umier,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to share your honest experience with InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam. It is regrettable to note that we could not fulfil your expectations regarding the Royal Ambassador benefits and that you are very disappointed after your stay with us. Therefore we would like to apologize. We strive for perfection, so we appreciate your feedback. It has got our full attention and is taken very serious. If you feel the need to add something to your review please contact us at amstel.marketing@ihg.com.

With warm regards,