“Ridiculously Expensive , Dangerous Car Park” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
bolton england
“Ridiculously Expensive , Dangerous Car Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

i guess we all want a bit of luxury sometimes , there is no doubt that the amstel is a luxurious place to stay.
i didnt eat ther e because frankly i couldnt afford to...and to be honest even if i could afford to , id rather give my money to oxfam or some deserving cause and eat down the road where prices are more reasonable.
my main reason for writing this review is to warn drivers , in particular disabled drivers...that there is no free parking for the disabled , this amazed me in a country like holland.i had just driven back from poland where every place i stayed did have free disabled parking.
whatever youe views may be about whether disable drivers should have free parking..and its a matter that should be debated...even if you decide to stump up the 100 usd , 66 euros , 60 gbp for overnight parking DRIVE VERY VERY CAREFULLY.
in some effort , i suppose to stop those unwilling to pay to park at the side of the hotel , basically on the street....no obvious parking signs , nothing to indicate that you are parking up in a concierge contolled environment ..whatever that may mean.
the management have deemed it wise , and no doubt profitable to erct metal barriers approximately one foot high , which are a bit like the nothern lights....now you see em ...now you dont...now unlike the nothern star , which all joni maitchell fans know is constant...these barriers are able to be erected and dismantled by the staff of the concierge controlled environment...so basically what was not ther 10 mins ago may be there 10 minutes later when you have finished checking in , and in many cases decide d to find somewhere less exorbitantly expensive to park up for the night.
i afraid that this happened to me , when i parked my car for 10 mins to check inthere was no barrier to my left ...when i came back i dint notice the one foot high metall barrier to my left....according to the laws of physics , if you think about it , right hand drive car et al..i would have needed to have a car at leat 20 feet in height to see the one foot tall barrier that wasnt there when i checked in.
well you know the next bit...to reverse out was s very tight manouevre but i managed it without hitting anything invisible , it was when i tried to drive off , forwards that is that i hit the thing i couldnt see that wasnt ther 10 minutes earlier.
this caused massive damage to my car...did the hotel workers in the concierge controlled environment came to help me pick up the pieces ,literally of my car....a big no
did anyone try to assist me , again a big no.
it has to be said that after i had written the management alettr to the effect that i thought it a bad idea to erct invisible barriers and i was thinking of suing , their technical team reassembled some bits of my car so that i could continue my journey to england , but they would take no responsibility or acknowledge the fact that these tiny barriers are dangerous.
tips and guidelines from myself are..........if you really have to park there , stop on the street and tell the concierge people that you want to park and pay 60 pounds for the privilege , the dont touch your car until it is facing in a straight line again...because if you drive it and out of the so called car park you run a high risk of running into something that you cannot see and whose existence is known of only by those powerful concierge people
BEWARE

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank winkydinkuk

Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

For our honeymoon I surprised my wife and took her to this hotel. We're not that rich so this hotel was once in a lifetime experience. It met all my expectations, it was the highlight of our trip to Holland without a doubt. I even think U2 were staying there at the same time as us !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank namel74
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We have just spent a weekend at the Amstel Intercontinental Amsterdam as a special treat for my partners birthday.
Being a Priority Club Platinum member my status gives us a possible room upgrade if at all possible. Our City View room was upgraded to a River View room.
The room was large with a 6 foot King Size Bed. The shower was a rain style. It was one large head in the ceiling some 12 feet above you and when you took a shower it was like being in a rain shower!
There is a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, solarium and jaccuzzi within a leisure centre within the hotel. They were spotless. There was also complimentary tea, coffee and juices as well as fresh fruit.
Any enquiry we made to reception, or the consierge, was met with a prompt and accurate reply. Housekeeping too played their part. Each evening we returned there was a card with tomorrows weather on, 2 chocolate liquors and the lights were on. They also turned down the bedding.
Nothing was to much trouble, even an extra pillow was delivered by housekeeping in less than 5 minutes from the request being made.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fatmanpauluk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Amazing hotel! beautiful, clean and the staff went out of their way for us. We have stayed at many top hotels and this is one of the best. We didn't know what to expect since some of our stay was free nights using points ( another Intercontinental we stayed at was less than gracious when we used our points). They treated us like royalty. The staff went out of their way for everything. I highly recommend this hotel, even if you are paying the full rate, it is more than worth the splurge.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I managed to book two nights in this hotel using 80000 priority club points that I had managed to accumulate over the years. Therefore I did not have to pay a penny for my stay, I have to say that this has to be the best use of points I could ever imagine. The hotel was superb.

I had been staying in the Grand Hotel Stockholm a few weeks before visiting the Amstel and although I found the Grand Hotel Stockholm to be impressive the Amstel was in a class of its own.

The room was spacious, comfortable beds, amazing mini-bar (large bottles of spirits). The bathroom had a decent sized bath and our room had a separate shower.

I missed breakfast both times after too late a night out, but the service in the restaurant in the evening was superb. It's very pricey, but worth what you get, and thanks to using points to book the hotel it gave us plenty of money to enjoy the restaurant.

It's located on the river, with excellent views. The only problem with this hotel is the price is normally out of my price range and I don't like using points every time I stay at a particular hotel, I like to reward the best hotels. I'll look out for deals the next time I stay.

I've stayed in some nice hotels in Amsterdam, The Grand Sofitel used to be a favourite before trying the Amstel. For earning Priority Club points there's a Crowne Plaza in the city centre that's also fairly decent and reasonably priced. The Crowne Plaza and The Grand are both more centrally located.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davencl
Buckinghamshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

First off, I would still recommend the Amstel and would most probably stay there on my next trip to Amsterdam but, sadly, it simply isn't as good as it was!

This could partly be that I have become more spolt over the years but I did find the service a bit lack-lustre this trip, as if the hotel staff have lost their spark. There was little evidence of proactive service and quite often there wasn't a waiter around when you wanted one! I did wonder whether this was - at least in part - a result of the current economy: i.e. fewer customers, maybe fewer staff ?

Check-in was fine, but rather cold and formulaic - there was simply no real engagement with us as human beings.

The hotel itself is still grand and generally well-maintained, though I noticed that the red carpet on the steps leading up to the hotel entrance is looking rather scruffy. Also, we did find the lighting in the lifts was ridiculously low. I know these are old lifts harking back to a bygone (pre-electricity) era, but the lighting level was equivalent to a couple of candles - you could only see the lift buttons when the doors opened!

We had a Junior Suite, which was a good size and the bathroom was excellent: large shower plus bath, separate room for the tolilet. Very good linens and a comfy bed. The swimming pool is immaculately kept and very clean.

Breakfast at La Rive - mixed. Service was patchy and the breakfast was OK, but nothing great. Dinner at La Rive, however ,was sensational and I would strongly recommend it to any foodie readers.

So , in summary, still good but sadly not what it was - it used to be fabulous!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TM99
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

My wife and I had a one-night stay in April.

The canal view was atmospheric; the location is far enough, but not too far from the madding crowds and the room was everything you could expect from a top-tier property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business