InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
$276
$260
Agoda.com
1,069 results
All reviewsla riveriver viewbeautiful hotelclassic hotelan executive suiteturn down serviceconcierge staffsteam roomthe check in processrain showerduty managerstar hotelan upgradewonderful staybeautiful roommetro stationcoffee machine
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is old and beautiful, the history is fantastic, location is great in Amsterdam.

It is nice to read all these reviews about 'large rooms', they must have paid a fortune. because the Executive room pre paid price was 444eu per night with a canal view. (ouch) The room we received was so small and not adequate even for a 3 night stay. There was absolutely NO drawers or shelves for anything to unpack. The closet was so small, and the hangars so big the door was not able to be closed, this was a challenge because the light will not turn off unless the door is closed. Our suitcases were blocking our walk way to the bathroom, the chair by the desk had to be moved into the little foyer, which blocked the door, which was a fire hazard and a safety issue if there was any evacuation necessary. The bed was incredibly saggy which ruined the beautiful comfort of the lovely sheets. The bathtub and shower were great, however it is not easy to find any electrical outlet in the bathroom, so I had to dry my hair near the desk, wall outlet.

When room service brought our meal, they brought a tray and since there is no table to sit around, eating on our laps was ridiculous, at a 5 star hotel, not even a rolling table?

The room had not been completely serviced there was an empty bottle of Scotch and realized the amenities were not restocked by the time we checked in. Additionally, we were charged for the replacement of these items, I checked the bill twice prior to check out and have them refund items that we did not use. The accounting for the room was also not done correctly so we had to (also) correct them on this. Everything worked out in the end, but for the price of these rooms and the 5 star rating, we were not impressed, at all.

I could have stayed at a Best Western or Holiday in and had a larger more comfortable room. Overall, this was a 3 star experience, I am sorry to say. Now, I can say, I stayed at the Amstel, and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KH869
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear guest ,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we all very much regret that we did not succeed. Please accept our sincere apologies. We appreciate the feedback and we will discuss them with all departments involved to make sure that this will not happen again in the future. We will make the necessary adjustments. Please also contact us at Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. This would be very much appreciated by me. I thank you in advance for contacting us.
Sincerely

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

A romantic break to Amsterdam was ruined by the receptionist at this supposedly top Dutch hotel.

I booked the much more expensive executive "river view" room to spoil my wife with our stay in Amsterdam.
Also to mention this is low season with low occupancy in mid November

The receptionist allocated a room next to elevator on 1st floor with a "view" of the river blocked by roof of an extension room below us, and our room position on top op their club disco, which has bass drums booming into our room until very late.

I am a loyalty programme member of this hotel chain.

Reception could not have chosen to put us in a worst position in this hotel.

My question is "Why"

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank HendrikReigate
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay in our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we all very much regret that you are not completely satisfied. We offer you our sincere apologies for the situation that has occurred and kindly ask you to inform us on situations like this during your stay in order to give us the opportunity to find a proper solution. However we appreciate your feedback and we have discussed the situation with our front desk. Whenever I can be of any service to you please contact me via amstel@ihg.com.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great location. Very helpful staff particularly the Concierge staff who organised trips for us. The trips on the canals both in the day and the night time dinner cruise on the hotel boat were a highlight. Great restaurant. Very comfortable rooms. Particularly appreciated the espresso machine in our room. We were attending a Seminar in the hotel as well and the hotel did a great job. We can highly recommend. The provision of treats in the lobby was a nice touch.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that both the canal trips were a great success. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service especially from the Concierge. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights after returning to Europe from Australia, and it was a lovely place to recover from Jetlag.
The rooms are just beautiful, I loved the toile wallpaper, and the bath was a joy, and it really did fill in less than 2 minutes.
The staff here were super helpful, and the room service orders came promptly and correct everytime.
The breakfast was delicious, and the view from the restaurant was stunning. I wish I'd had time to use the pool, which also looked devine.
A winner on all counts.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your experiences with us. Thank you very much for your nice compliments, I will share them with our staff members involved. It is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in Europe was a success, and that you recovered nicely from the jetlag. Again thank you for your nice compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam. Hopefully the next time there will be time to use the pool!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed in a large, quiet room overlooking a canal. Lovely room, tall ceiling, lovely bathroom. Excellent and very helpful concierge. .Excellent breakfast in the hotel. Dinner in the hotel bistro was mediocre. Great location. Would recommend this hotel without any qualifications.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you loved your room. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service especially from the Concierge. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.