The InterContinental Amstel is a beautiful hotel. We have stayed at some of the finest hotels and resorts around the world and the Amstel fell short of our expectations for a hotel with the InterContinental brand name. We emailed the hotel to inform them that we would be arriving very early - understanding that there may not be a room ready but requesting any information in advance that may be helpful. We never had a reply. When we arrived we were told our room was not available - and the only option was another room over 200 euros more expensive. We understood that our room may not be ready but we were frustrated that no one every replied to us. The room was very nice, charming and large. However, the bowl of fruit was molded and remained unchanged for two days. I discovered the mold AFTER eating a piece of molded fruit. The night before we left we arrived at one of the bars. We were told it was not serving food but the bartender kindly escorted us to the other side of the hotel and said he would have a colleague serve us. We waited several minutes and when we were finally greeted the young man told us that food was not being served. We explained that the other bartender brought us there so that we could eat, saying that food was available at that location. We weren't upset - just hungry. He kindly took the initiative to assist us and informed us after taking drink orders that another colleague would take our food order. The other colleague never showed up (she was working the bar inside and was irritated and stated that "we don't serve food here now"). The second young man that assisted us and offered a food menu even though the section was no longer serving and he was very kind - and apologized profusely that the female bar attendant never showed up to take our order. Our evening ended well and the young man comped our first drinks. This was not something we asked for but it was a very nice gesture. On a good note, Minori in the spa/fitness facility was wonderful - she had impeccable service skills that were appreciated. All in all, the staff was very kind. The problem seemed to be that the entire staff didn't seem to share the same level of customer service or concern. This was noted in our different staff interactions. Considering the cost of our stay we felt that the value was certainly not there. Sad - because the hotel is beautiful and in a beautiful location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam