“Old World, Old Fashioned Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #6 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Old World, Old Fashioned Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a weekend visit to Amsterdam. On the map you may think that the hotel is situated quite a way out from the centre of Amsterdam, but don't let that deceive you. The hotel is ideally located, being situated in a quiet, leafy part of town, but only being a short walk into the central area, the walk is a gentle along side the Amstel river. The hotel is also a 2 minute walk from a metro station so you can get direct from central station which is what we did when we first arrived. The walk from central station to the hotel is 30 minutes at a leisurely pace, and it takes in most of the major sights on route so we found ourselves walking everywhere!

The hotel decorum both inside and out is one of the 18/19th century old fashioned luxury, with an ornate reception area with wide steps and furniture which wouldn't be out of place with Louis XVI Versailles palace. As a platinum ambassador I was given a room upgrade to a river view room.

The room is well sized with tall ceilings, large bed, a very large bathroom, with separate shower and toilet room. However despites its old fashioned design the room has its modern comforts, with flat screen TV (has a huge choice of multi language channels, besides the normal BBC World & CNN) A separate hi fi system, illy coffee machine and one of the best A/C I've had in a hotel (i.e it was quiet and the room noticeable got colder and warmer unlike most!)

We chose to eat in the hotel the first night, the hotel has two restaurants, it's flagship has a Michelin star, I wasn't feeling too lavish so we eat in the brasserie. If I'm honest it was priced higher than every other meal I've had in any intercontinental around the world but I enjoyed my food, especially the dessert which was a fantastic chocolate brownie.

We slept very well both nights, beds are comfortable with the sinking pillows you expect of Intercontinentals, and the 3 layers of curtains meant that very little light came through in the mornings.

Staff were professional and very helpful, providing us with all information we required, umbrellas and I couldn't fault them in the slightest. When we went to ask about a business centre to print off boarding passes for our return flight the concierge informed us that they didn't have one but he checked us in for our flight and then printed our boarding passes off and handed them to me with a copy of the Sunday Times, excellent service!

Overall I enjoyed my stay, the rooms are very comfortable, clean and the staff are fantastic. Whilst the surrounding area does lack local restaurants close by the location is ideal for visiting Amsterdam as it gives you a quiet place to stay in the evening and close pleasants walks to all the action. I must admit that this hotel is priced higher than every other Intercontinental I've stayed in and the old fashioned style is not to my taste (prefer contemporary ones) But I don't hold it against the place and would stay there again and recommend others to do so.

Room Tip: First Floor room to save waiting for old fashioned lifts and one with a river view of the amstel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leaping_Deere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Amstel is one of the great hotel experiences in Europe. Everything from food, to ambiance, to architecture and decoration, to location is the best. There is only small one downside of this majestic, old-world hotel, the mini-bars are not mini. You must purchase a full size bottle of alcohol. If you would like just one drink or possibly two, you are must through away an almost full bottle. However, otherwise one of the most fabulous hotel experiences that you can imagine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin O
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Everything you could want in an elegant old world European hotel. Let's start with the pool. It's huge and one side opens to a terrace with views of the Amstel canal. The rooms are large, the bathrooms generous. The breakfast buffet is lovely and the service is impeccable. Be charmed by the concierge staff led by Aad van den Berg, who will make anything possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cosima21
Thaialnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

First time in Amsterdam, hotel is very beautiful by looking at the river but not every room has river view. Breakfast is very good quality but also very expensive too. Some rooms are not good for senior or diable people as they have steps in the bedroom.

Room Tip: Wifi hugh speed Internet is expensive but they also have free low speed wifi too (actually is not so...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pichaiv
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I pre-booked the hotel for a business trip, one day of meetings, the next day, entertaining clients. I checked the reviews again before I left, one was terribly negative, it placed in doubt in my mind. I stayed two days at the hotel, and my experiences with the total opposite to that reviewer.

Firstly, the only slight downside, as a Priority Club Platinum Member I was offered no upgrade, or perks whatsoever, which is usually the case in all IHG properties. Other than that (which was no big deal), my visit was perfect.

The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and furnished. The bathrooms luxurious, fully stocked, huge bathtub, and the most wonderful rainfall shower. The bed was huge and so, so comfortable. The pillow menu was not needed, as the oversized pillows were perfect.

From check-in to check out, all the staff were both friendly and very professional. The Dutch by design, are smiling, happy people and the staff here are no exception. Each and every one of them went out of their way to make our stay pleasurable. Each and every one of them succeeded.

Breakfast is taken in a restaurant overlooking the River Amstel, we watched the world float by, amazing. The breakfast selection is varied and plentiful, the staff at breakfast were very attentive.

We took high tea on the terrace, the blackberry and chocolate tart was worth the visit to Amsterdam on its own!

On the Saturday evening we arrived back from a trip to the Hague and ordered a late dinner from room service at around 10:20 PM. The food was beautifully prepared, and tasted even better.

I can honestly say this is without doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, I can only give it five out of five in every department, I will always use this hotel when visiting Amsterdam.

A big thank you to everyone at the hotel, you made our stay so very special!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Funlovinfella
Canberra - Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have just spent two wonderful nights at the Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam. As platinum Priority Club members we were treated like royalty upon arrival. An upgrade to a huge top floor corner room with views along the Amstel River through the opening shutters and windows. The room was elegantly decorated in a style to suit this beautiful 150 year old building. The staff were all very attentive and genuine in their service to us during our stay. Our room was paid for with points so was extremely good value. I would recommend to anyone looking for a special stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank steve_fossil
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is my first trip to Amsterdam and I am sure I will return again. The hotel was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make sure your stay was memorable. We had a beautiful room over looking the river. Luckily the sun shone in the afternoon so we went down stairs and sat on the veranda sunbathing and watching the boats go by! I only have a couple of negitive remarks which are the hotel in not in the centre of all the hussle and bussel of Amsterdam so if you like the nightlife and easy access to resturants this is not the hotel for you, but if the opposite is the case you can't fault it. The other was 2 hotel guest who shouted at me for going in the wrong door with my shoes on as it was the spa, they obvousily had the money to stay there but no manners!! should of pushed them in the river!!

On travel, if you are coming into Skipol airport you need to get a ticket for the train to Amsterdam, please make sure you are standng at the right end of the platform as 2 different trains pull in at the sation. The ticket machines are automatic and can be translated to English for easy use. When you arrive at the station the best option is a tram although it is not clear which is the best one to go on - the No 10 goes on a large loop around the city. The main ones that we used were 10 12 and 7 this will get you around easily. Go to your nearest underground station and buy tickets for the tram/bus it will cost around 12 euros for 3 days, which is excellent value for money, the same ticket system applies for this as well so easy peasy. If you fancy a boat trip don't be shy about asking a local as we did mind you he turned out to be South African ( yes Robert I am talking about you!) he owned a 1960's wooden boat, beautiful and we had a lovely tour of the canals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple