My fiancee and I recently had a short one-day stay here at the Amstel. We found everything to be very charming and the hotel has a lot of character. Several of the reviews on here question the value of money, or the location, but one must remember this is Amsterdam, a city where there are very few hotel rooms of quality. I found that this property affords a guest a unique opportunity to experience Amsterdam.
We stayed here using our Priority Club points. Definitely a very strong value per point here as the rates were high during our stay. What really impressed me most was the fact that the hotel honored my elite status at Intercontinental, even on an award night. IHG hotels usually don't honor the status on these point redemptions and stick you in a standard room with no view. We were upgraded to a nice junior suite on the south end of the property. Further we were given the option of late check-out as well as fruit and water. Very nice to see a property provide these benefits for their frequent guests, even if I wasn't paying cash for this particular night - it shows something about the hotel management and definitely makes me feel more comfortable about returning.
The rooms at this hotel are simply elegant and classic. They are decorated in a classic style, with very high ceilings, a nice king bed, separate sitting area, and a nice entertainment system. The minibar prices are a bit crazy, but the room service seemed actually only a little bit overpriced and one can take advantage of this for a special occasion. The bathroom was equally large, and had a separate toilet and shower, with a very large bathtub. There were l'Occitane amenities throughout and plenty of towels.
The facilities for this hotel were another plus - something that you often don't find with urban hotels in Europe. First, there was a pool, something that once again, you can't really find in Amsterdam. The pool area was like a sort of club lounge, with coffee, fruits, and small snacks there for the guests. The pool was small, but it was welcome, especially considering the setting. The fitness area was small and cramped, but I rarely have seen anything better in terms of a fitness facility and I spend over 100 nights in hotels annually.
The service at the property was efficient and welcoming. Whenever I had a request of an employee, it was promptly granted, and they always did so in a welcoming manner. I really appreciated the formal approach of the staff, while at the same time not being overly pretentious.
The location has been written down as a negative aspect by several posters, and I really have no idea why. As a veteran Amsterdam traveler, with 50 nights alone each year in area hotels, I don't understand why people are more insistent on staying at the main train station than here. The city centre is very crowded, congested, loud, and generally hectic well into the night. Further, those hotel rooms will all be small and overpriced as well. This hotel is actually in a quiet location, something that is unheard of for Amsterdam. The setting on the river is nice, although not the best views in the world. The metro is right there, as is the tram, and it is only a 2 minute ride to Nieuwmarkt and the Red Light District/Chinatown. Definitely don't write off this property because of the location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam