FindHotel
Trip.com
Travelocity
All reviews exceptional room anne frank house boutique hotel overlooking the garden continental breakfast small hotel beautiful room fantastic hotel yogurt central amsterdam canal keizersgracht westerkerk toiletries bells cafes
Selected filters
Reviewed May 15, 2019 via mobile

Canal House provided the best possible home base for my first visit to AMS: an upscale, luxury boutique setting in the beautiful and relatively quiet/ non-touristy Jordaan neighborhood. Everything we wanted to get to was easily walkable, and the hotel is on a peaceful, tree-lined stretch of historic houses right on the canal. The fact that the house is a converted 17th century merchant house lent an historical, location-rich feel to our stay while the room itself was modern, chic, and extremely comfortable (also surprisingly spacious considering the narrowness of the original houses). The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and their attention to detail is exquisite. The common areas- the gorgeous, quiet garden out back and the great room/ bar/ foyer areas inside- are all as lovely as the guest rooms and beautifully well-attended to. I can’t wait to return to Amsterdam and spend some more time at the Canal House.

Date of stay: May 2019
1  Thank TJtravels12
Kristeld D, General Manager at Canal House, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2019

We would like to thank you for sharing such a great and detailed review on TripAdvisor. It is fantastic to read that you have made good use of all our facilities and that you have enjoyed the service provided by my team. We will make sure to share all your kind words with them, they will truly be delighted to hear that their service is very much appreciated.
We thank you for choosing Canal House during your trip to Amsterdam, and we surely hope to welcome you back. Should you wish to make a reservation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly so that we can make your next stay even more memorable.

Reviewed May 7, 2019

We have stayed in a lot of high end boutique hotels and I don’t think the Canal House had that feeling.

The room was ok everything looks a little tired but I think this is really down to the colours this did not really bother us it was more the lack of service.

Everyone is really polite but we were always having to ask for drinks in the bar and for breakfast items, I would not expect to do this in a high end hotel.
We sat in the bar on several occasions with no one asking if we wanted a drink, after waiting for 15 mins we headed to another bar down the road, at this time the bar was not even busy we were the only customers in there.

Breakfast was the same, we had hot items included in our booking but we never got asked if we wanted any, having to flag someone down to ask for this was not acceptable. We did not bother on the last morning as we got fed up with waiting.

The breakfast room was also really cold and I am not a cold person, a lot of guests were eating with their coats on.

Breakfast quality was good when you got it but I don’t think it’s good to charge for extra cups of tea and coffee once you have had one (small cup) I have never been asked to pay for an extra cup of coffee in a hotel charging 400 – 500 euros a night, there were coffee and tea in the room but it was never re-stocked we also never had any milk for the tea. One morning they run out of eggs luckily we had got ours but with 5 of the 7 breakfast items having eggs in them I find this unacceptable

My overall option is it’s a nice hotel but feels like an average hotel not high end

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m of course sorry to read that you felt your stay lacked that extra wow factor you were anticipating. Regarding your comment about charging for the second hot drink during breakfast we have decided to not charge this anymore and to include all hot drinks during breakfast Reason is that we have received a lot of comments about this topic and we do listen to what our guests suggests. Saying so it is very hard to delight each and every guest who stays with us – and I am sorry we did not make you happy on this occasion. I do hope you had a lovely time in Amsterdam and please do contact me directly should you visit Amsterdam in the near future, so I can take extra care of your booking.

Reviewed April 29, 2019 via mobile

Had a two night stay with a room around €400-500 per night so at the more pricey range for Amsterdam.

It wasn’t good or bad - on balance I wouldn’t stay again

Plus sides +

Great location , lovely street and canal view.

Nice large room and view

Lovely lady who was there on our second day , hired us bikes and helped make better reservations which weren’t good on day 1.

Negatives -

The hotel has very few amenities, probably due to its small size , however it makes the price they charge hard to justify

Check in was hard work

The room was not clean - things in the drawer , bin had tissues in and bottle openers missing

Bar area not tastefully done so not used

Charged for an extra coffee at breakfast - why do this at this price range , it seemed so petty

Date of stay: March 2019
2  Thank Bridtoltobyk
Kristeld D, General Manager at Canal House, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2019

Thank you so much for your review, always helpful to receive positive feedback from our guests. I am pleased to read that everything was at your satisfaction and I will pass this on to my team. I am sorry about your room status that you found things that should not be there, my apologies!
Your comment about the breakfast I certainly keep in mind, our breakfast is complimentary so therefore it is always a challenge to balance the costing and offer. We use biological & fresh products, it is limited but from a very good quality. Again thank you for your honest review and look forward to welcome you some other time.
When you do , do contact me personally so I can take extra care of your booking.

Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

So strange that as I read more reviews closer to our date I wanted to cancel this hotel....I wish I had.....

It is important to read what visitors say in the poor, weak and average categories as they have some truth in them. This hotel is is lovely in the sense that it has a great location. The staff MELANIE was truly a wonderful help with her guidance and information. I was disappointed with the size of the room. I know this is Europe but this really is the most ridiculous shower we have ever seen. It is a little boxy feature in the corner of your room, with only 1/4 glass covering over the bath. So if you are traveling with your family( not hubby or boyfriend) then really one of them would have to turn their backs or go down. No curtains no privacy. It was just bizarre. Yes as reviews say rooms are dark and have a gloomy feel. I really am trying to figure the thoughts of the designer of this room. It is so impractical there is hardly any place to open ur luggage. I hit my head really hard over the open door safe.

That being said, breakfast was basic but nice. Ridiculous that for 960 euro for 3 nights , you are informed that you have to pay for your second cup of coffee. The coffee is excellent and huge so one cup suffices but still...the croissant was the BEST I have ever had but sadly that was the only “best” in this hotel. Breakfast is this-3 juices, milk, coffee tea-cereals, croissant and pain du chocolate, 2 cold cut varieties and 2 cheese varieties w yoghurt and some fruit. They will boil you eggs for free but they don’t tell you this- we read it in the menu in the room. Every hot item thereafter you pay for. I was horribly disappointed. Breakfast in Europe was what I had looked forward most to.

Now about the air cond.... when we arrived in April, it was starting to get warm in the day. Upon check in there was no air cond. When we highlighted this, we were told that in booking.com it shows that this hotel doesn’t come with air conditioning. We are frequent travelers often globe trotting and this is the most ridiculous thing we have heard for a property charging this rates and ranking itself as a Small Luxury Hotel of the world brand. Little was done but giving us dusty ventilators. A cleaner chap with glasses ( can’t remember his name- he was lovely) was most concerned.... the other hotel staff couldn’t be bothered- a Russian girl staff I can’t remember her name told us that this was a 17 century building so this is a problem we have to accept with such buildings. Then highlight it rather than leaving it to fine print!!!!!We have stayed in 15 century buildings with no issues. So we had to leave our window open and hear loud bells all night due to this so this problem led to a lack of peaceful sleep at night. Unacceptable!!!

Also their emails were down for/ days prior to arrival so I got no response on anything. So a lot of things went wrong. Service is slow at breakfast. On Saturday breakfast starts at 7.30 but nothing was prepared until 8... think the chef came late it was obvious with other staff scurrying and helping . The hotel helped ( upon request) planned a ‘surprise’ hubby’s bday brownie at bfast, 2 balloons and Prosecco in the room ( timing all out and disaster at breakfast) but really all this did little to fix the many faults. A posting in May 2016/2017 indicated that the hotel compensated a guest for the air cond issue. While we pressed this , with us they didn’t as they had safely protected themselves by removing this feature in their amenities/ facilities list on booking.com so it’s easy to miss it cause even frequent travelers like ourselves would not check fine print on basic things that should be like mini bars, air cond, hot shower.

All in all there are better hotels in Jordaan area with great location, and better facilities and I’m
sure a better shower/ bath. The shower/ bath was completely unacceptable. Not for this price or this type of hotel. It was showering in a cubicle box. Very disappointed. The Toren next door looked better- check re the air cond though.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m of course sorry to read that you felt your stay lacked that extra wow factor you were anticipating. Regarding our Air-conditioning we did remove this from our website since 2016/2017 when we start facing problems. It works most of the times but did shut down 4 times since 2016-2017 therefore we took it off from our website to not disappoint guests like yourself. For the second coffee, we do charge , breakfast , juices and 1 hot drink is offered complimentary, rest will be charged. We work very hard to delight each and every guest who stays with us – and I am sorry we did not make you happy on this occasion.

Reviewed April 18, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at Canal House for four nights after departing from a river boat cruise. We booked an outstanding suite category and were given room 12. The room has three tall windows that face the canal and the view is simply stunning. You can open the windows if you like to hear all the sounds of the city. The room is a decent size overall but it only has one chair. It has a bench against the island which serves as the double sink, the TV stand, and make up & prep table. The room has a built-in loveseat but both of those would not be comfortable to sit on. So if you want to lounge with a glass of wine after a day of walking around in Amsterdam one person will need to sit on the bed and the other on the one chair. Not overly comfortable or luxe but functional and you can both still see the canal views.

All rooms come with a continental breakfast which is excellent. The pastries are to die for and they have yogurt, meats, cereals, fresh fruit and assortment of cheeses. Their cappuccino was excellent as well and the dining room itself overlooks their back garden which is very pretty if you can get a table at one of the windows. Make sure you give yourself enough time though as the service is a bit slow so you want enough time to get served the cappuccino as it is not to be missed.

Overall service at the hotel would be 3.5 as their turn down service, breakfast service, and check out service was a bit inconsistent and had a few challenges.

The overall review of the hotel, it’s ambience,
Location, and proximity to activities with in Amsterdam is a 5 out of 5. Therefore my overall rating is a 4.

Date of stay: April 2019
1  Thank OffTheBeatenPath_1
Kristeld D, General Manager at Canal House, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed Amsterdam and that your overall experience was a fantastic one. I’m of course sorry to read that you felt your stay lacked that extra wow factor you were anticipating. We work very hard to delight each and every guest who stays with us – we would love to have you stay at Canal House again and for the opportunity to make sure that you arrive and leave absolutely thrilled with your stay.