“It's the best!”
Review of Canal House

Canal House
Ranked #23 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 9, 2004

I love this hotel. I've stayed here on both of my trips to Amsterdam.
Not only is it convenient but it's so charming! Make sure you ask for room 24 - it's wonderful!

• Stayed: March 2002

Detroit, MI
Reviewed March 12, 2004

I spend a lot of time (usually too much) finding the "right" hotel when I travel. For Amsterdam I decided that to get a real feel for the charm of this city, I'd need to get a house on a canal (thus the name of this hotel). I think I found my place! This hotel is on a quiet street, right on a beautiful canal, in a beautiful area. The hotel itself is very well-kept and somewhat old-fashioned (I'm guessing it's very Dutch). The included breakfast buffet was very good. My canal-view room was a bit small but was all I needed; I believe there are larger rooms.
You can get to most of the popular areas in about a 10-20 minute walk and there is a lot of transportation and buses nearby. The staff was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable with directions and things to do (they even pointed me towards a "coffee house" when I asked). All in all, a great place that I'd recommend if you're looking for this type of experience.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 26, 2004

We stayed at the Canal House last August and it is indeed in a superb location in a lovely quiet spot right by, yes, a canal. Despite the location being peaceful and safe it was nonetheless central to everything and there are some nice shops/bars/eateries in the vacinity of Kaizergracht-the canal where it is situated and Prisengracht-the next one along. It is eclectically decorated and looks intriguing. The bar isn't really somewhere to spend an hour or two-we went there once for a drink and it felt a bit like being in your aunt's parlour-but then you do have Amsterdam to explore. This isn't a cheap hotel, but then if you want somehting even half way decent in amsterdam you will pay a bit more than some other European cities.

Eustis, FL
Reviewed January 13, 2004

The only place to stay when visiting Amsterdam. Have visited 2X and each time was a treat. Would not consider staying anywhere else.

York,England
Reviewed November 28, 2003

wonderful quality hotel.Very polite,well informed staff.easy access to the city.have no hesitation in recommending it.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 26, 2003

We just stayed at the Canal House last week and loved it! The neighborhood of the western canal ring is the most atmospheric part of the city, and the Canal House is right there. We booked two and a half months ahead for a canal view room in mid-October, when the weather was crisp in temperature but we were blessed with four straight days of sunshine. The canal view room was small but cozy, and the compromise in room area was worth it to us because we were constantly peeking out the window to admire the view. It was a delight to wake up on our final morning and see a duck swimming past with the ripples in its wake expanding to the canal walls! It was only on my fourth trip to Amsterdam that I finally got a room with a view--and at a reasonable price for the city.

The bonus is that Canal House has plenty of atmosphere and a nice brunch in a delightful dining room with the flavor of Golden Age Amsterdam. Also, the service is professional and helpful. I would definitely return for another stay at the Canal House on a future visit to Amsterdam, especially if I plan ahead enough again to get another room with a canal view.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member