“An interesting experience”

Ranked #3 of 529 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the world's largest collection of works by Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, featuring masterpieces such as Sunflowers, The Potato Eaters, Almond Blossom and The Bedroom.
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Art wouldn't really be my thing but seeming as we were near by my wife and I decided to give this museum a go.

To be honest I'm glad we did, all I ever would have known about Vincent Van Gogh is that his paintings are worth a fortune but now I know so much more. I actually found it fascinating to discover he only painted for 10 years and that he died so young. My favourite painting would have been the smoking skull, very cool.

I would highly recommend purchasing the audio equipment for €5 as this enables you to relax and stand back a bit from the paintings and listen to the commentary on them as it can get very busy around some paintings as everyone is jostling to get close to read the text that accompanies each work of art.

All in its worth a visit but you'll probably be a bit bored after an hour like I was if art really doesn't float your boat and in the end in my mind I thought the experience was kind of expensive at €15 entry and €5 for the audio.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Really enjoyed this visit, so lovely to see Van Gogh's paintings for real all under one roof. Information about each painting was also translated to English too which was a bonus and his work was set out chronologically so gave great insight into how his painting ideas progressed during his life time. The museum was well set out gave a good space to view paintings close up to show painting techniques and from a distance to see the real picture.
The only major disappointment I had was that The Sunflowers was on loan in London. However seeing 'Irises' helped to diminish my disappointment.
Well worth a visit, and in my opinion better than the Reijks Museum.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Enjoyed the time I spent looking at the Van Gogh. Sunflowers was on loan to London, but had seen in London. This is well worth a visit. There was also a Felix Valloton exhibition on which was great.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Good, though some pictures are loaned out to museums world wide, so check in advance. The audio phones are good, for adults and a separate one for younger children

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Not really my cup of tea but a nice experience. Not too crowded inside we went late afternoon (3pm) and queued for 10 mins. Confusion inside as signs implied no bags or coats so we used the cloakroom but you could take them it, they were just searched. Quite expensive I thought at €15 each.