“mmm. not bad but should be much better.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
Ranked #127 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
“mmm. not bad but should be much better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

very nice meeting room (it used to be a chapel!!!), nice coffee break.
old sleeping rooms, need some renovation. clean.
wonderful position 2 mins from dam square and central station.
prices are a bit high but it's amsterdam.
wifi is a rip off.
definately not 5 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the share your feedback with us. This is much appreciated. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the St Olof’s Chapel, the clean rooms and the wonderful location.

On the other hand we want to thank you for your feedback regarding the rooms. We will definitely discuss this with our Head Office.

We hope you had a save trip back home and that we may welcome you again in the future.

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dhahran, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have been all over the world. I have been in all kinds of hotels. Yes the room it self needs updates, but the beds are very nice, I had a good sleep. What makes this a GREAT hotel is the staff. I was traveling back to the United States from Saudi Arabia alone with my two kids. My husband had to stay behind to work a few more weeks. I got back to our room after a fun day at Nemo with the kids, I felt faint and felt a UTI coming on. As the evening went on I felt worse. I did not know what to do, so I called the front desk. Mandy came up to the room and to the rescue! She called the doctor, got a script, and tried to get the antibiotics delivered. Then the scrip did not get to the pharmacy, so she had to track the doctor down and try again. Mandy even went to the pharmacy and got the prescription for me herself as I was alone with two young kids and about to pass out. Mandy made it so I could sleep and make the flight the next morning without pain. To me that is what this world is about, good people helping good people. I will stay here again and again as it is now my home in Amsterdam. The wise traveler will do the same. Thank you Mandy! Thank you NH Hotels!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Chandalier3213
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review. It is a great pleasure to read our staff has been of such a great help to you! Your friendly and positive comments have been shared within our team for encouragement already.

We hope you feel better soon and we look forward welcoming you and your family again next time you visit Amsterdam.

Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I can't really add to the reviews already here - a hotel hat has seen better days, and certainly the first time in years that I have seen a CRT TV anywhere, but a fabulous location. The staff are lovely, without exception. I was there for two nights, and after the first night I complained that I had been bitten by mosquitos and could they please spray the room, which they did. The next night shortly before dawn I realised they were not mozzies but bedbugs. Stripping back the duvet to see them run will do that for you. I complained at check-out... it really was not worth asking for a new room at 4am - when I checked out, and they gave me the wi-fi upgrade for free, which was sweet but my company profited from the fact that I was bitten so badly I am not going to be able to go swimming for another few days until the lumps and bumps subside.
The receptionist apologised sweetly and sincerely, and I am sure they checked the room (242); I was just unlucky, as none of the other 60 people who were at the same conference complained, or maybe they did not want to admit it, I don't know.
So, traveller, if you are bitten during the night and do not hear or see mosquitos, ask for another room. And Google 'bedbugs' so you know what to do when you get home to make sure no passengers take up residence chez vous.

Room Tip: All the rooms had earplugs next to the bed. Maybe you should choose another hotel if you want peace...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank pwarne
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us and we truly regret to hear about your unpleasant experience. We already tried to contact you, but unfortunately we could not reach you on the phone. We would like to get in contact with you to further discuss the situation, can you please contact us.

We are looking forward to hear from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The service was really good and the location is amazing. The lobby was refurbished and looked very slick and modern, and so I expected the room to be quite similar in style. But, the room where I was staying was quite outdated with old furniture and an ancient TV. I guess there are refurbished rooms where the pictures for websites have been taken, but we didn't get one.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Maria K
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor This is very much appreciated. We are glad to read you enjoyed our comfortable and clean rooms and friendly and helpful staff.. We also would like to thank you for bringing your constructive remark about the state of the building to our attention. We will discuss this with our Head Office.

We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in an akwardly very low ceiling room on the 4th floor. The hotel is a relatively sad business hotel conveniently located near the central station. Breakfast is expensive at €25 with average food. Staff is friendly and helpful. At €250 a night, there are better options out there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your review on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your effort. I regret to hear of the disappointments you experienced during your stay. As the hotel is built out of the 17th century typical Dutch houses, some rooms still have authentic elements like the lower ceilings or wooden beams which can make it look less modern.

Despite you had some negative remarks, we hope you had an unforgettable stay in Amsterdam and we hope you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel and make your stay a pleasant one.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This location was so great for us! We walked right fro the train station to the hotel. You can walk to anything, or take a tram! The rooms were spacious and it was quiet. Room service was good too! I would stay here again! We did have to change rooms after the first night because ours overlooked the lobby! It was kind of neat, our own "red light!" But with a 4 year old who wanted to leave the curtains open all of the time, it wasn't working! I would like to stay one night in that room again though! :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a beautiful review about our hotel. We are very delighted to hear that you loved the location, the spacious rooms and our room service. We would like to offer you our apologies for the fact you had to change rooms after the first night.

We look forward to welcome you and your family again as our guests in NH Barbizon Palace.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Quite a good hotel, not too expensive, decent facilities, friendly and helpful staff. The best thing about this hotel though is the location - near the station and central Amsterdam. We've been here a few times now and will probably continue to come back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jason F
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We are pleased to read you have chosen our hotel again for your stay in Amsterdam. It is good to learn you enjoyed our facilities, wonderful staff and good location.

We look forward giving you new beautiful memories and hope you will stay with us again.