“Great Location and Good Value for Money” 4 of 5 stars

NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
Ranked #138 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Location and Good Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights literally a couple of days ago. It is in a fantastic location, just 500m or so from the Central Station so most things were walkable from here. Although it's definitiely not a 5 star hotel, I wasn't expecting it to be given the price I paid for my stay. Yes, the decor (apart from a fabulous lobby and reception area) is somewhat dated and could do with a facelift, the rooms were large for a city centre location, very comfortable clean and very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and obliging. I didn't eat here as there were just so many other tempting restaurants just minutes away. So to sum up, you get what you pay for, and I would say this was good value for money. Would I stay here again - absolutely!

Room Tip: I had a room at the back of the hotel on the top floor, so noise was never an issue.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed here for work, great location to the train station and getting out to see Amsterdam. I was at the front of the hotel looking over the canal and the station. The hotel had provided ear plugs for the bedroom. Great lunch was provided and the night we stayed in the hotel for a meal the steak was lovely.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was my second stay within the past three years at this property. While the lobby is fresh looking, the location to the train station and a lot of what Amsterdam has to offer is great, the hotel rooms themselves need some urgent refurbishing. It is sooo dated, more like a throwback to the early 80s at best. I can't understand why the hotel won't invest in upgrading their rooms. I have stayed in old hotels in my day and welcomed the charm that their age have given them, but even they have kept the charm while upgrading their rooms. Don't get me wrong, you houldn't have a terrible experience staying here but management can make some important room improvements and bring this back to a four star hotel. I don't know if they care to do this.

Brno, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hotel has great location, nearly in front of railway station, few steps from downtown, tram station. Around hotel are many restaurants, shops, bars.. Hotel is marked as 5stars but in fact it is something between 3 and 4 stars. Room is quite big but with old equipment.
Very bad was room service. After returning to room around 3pm, room was not cleaned yet. Room service came around 5pm what was disturbing for me. On the other hand staff at the reception was always helpful.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend and it started off poorly!

We went to check in and they had no records of our booking! We booked through hotels.com and had to start providing evidence that we booked it!

After about 20 minutes they finally found our records but told us our room wasn't ready yet as a room would have to be made up. I understood on the website it had a check in of 3 but after they had mucked us around I expected them to make us a room up.

We gave them our number so they could let us know when it would be ready but they didn't so we just walked back at 3 and they said it was fine! Thanks for letting us know....

Considering we arrived at the hotel at about 10 in the morning we just wanted to get settled before going out.

The hotel itself is nice but the rooms are a bit dated and there was a weird smell in our room.

The hotel is in a good area so you are near to a lot of fun places!

Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a fantastic location, 5 minutes walk from the centre of Amsterdam and all it offers. Made to feel very welcome our entire stay. Best bed we have slept in, coming back for my 50th next January.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This hotel is within walking distanse to the central station and has a good location. Shoppingareas, restuarants and bars are closeby. The tramservice is great and a day ticket will give you easy access to most of the areas.in Amsterdam.

We checked in late on Sunday. The staff was not pleasent at all. They did the check in ok but the were not at all informative and were preoccupied taking deposit from us without explaining anything. A smile will have helped alot. The room was big and clean. The beds are good. The breakfast is expensive but very good with lots of warm and cold food. The big minus is the service of the staff. no greetings, no smiles.... I also noticed that one of the headstaff was coorecting one of the waiters in front of the guests. Not a good sign. Check out was ok and the lady on this day was pleasent. It is an ok hotel but I will head for some other hotel nexttime.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends