“Dated hotel, poor customer service” 2 of 5 stars

NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
Ranked #134 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, UK
“Dated hotel, poor customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ill start with the positive - the hotel is in a great location for exploring Amsterdam.

Last stay here was awful! My room on the first floor was opposite a local bar which was playing load music etc until the early hours of the morning and due to no double glazing I could get any sleep. Eventually contacted reception to ask for another room but was told there was only a single smoking room available which I declined as the last stay was in a smoking room and was disgusting and smelly (and I am a smoker). I eventually dosed off at 3am only to be woken by staff at 5am cleaning and throwing out empty bottles from the bar underneath my room. I brought this to the attention of the management in the morning but was only offered a free drink which was pointless as just had breakfast and checking out on my way to the office. One of the managers gave me her business card and I have emailed her on 2 occassions now but received no response!

Breakfast is very poor considering it is 25 euros! The limited hot items (egg, bacon, waffles) were completely cold and didnt feel safe eating them (this has been the same experience on prior visits), therefore very expensive breakfast for fruit and juice!

To say I will never stay here again is an understatement! Had problems on prior visits but this last one just was just too much!

Room Tip: as high a floor as possible and not a smoking floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jthomson
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Thomson,

First of all, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay with us and that you did not received a response due to a miscommunication. Last week Monday, my Account Manager called you to discuss the situation. I hope that, after this conversation, you are feeling a little bit better about the situation. Furthermore, I will discuss your situation with my Management Team to improve the standards of the hotel.

Again my apologies for all the inconveniences and I hope to welcome you again as our guest in the future.

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

First let me just say I was transferred to this hotel under very short notice as the hotel I booked to stay in had an internal issue that led to them being overbooked and having me transferred to this hotel. I was worried that it would be inferior to my original hotel (which I will not name).

However I found the room comfortable and the staff more than helpful considering they were not prepared for my arrival as I had no original reservation with them. My only minor downpoint was the fact that my room was basically on a below ground level floor but it did not majorly affect the 1 night I stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Although we were not your first choice, I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you have plans to visit us again, it is possible to request a room on a higher floor and we will do our utmost to arrange this for you.

We are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace.

Barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great location just across from the Central Station. Some of the hotel features are quite dated but we found the room to be comfortable and clean which is the important thing. We got a spacious room with a canal view which was really nice. Reception staff were friendly and helped us with directions to a couple of places. We got the room at a good price through a top secret hotel deal - it's good value if you can get it at the right price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice compliments. I am glad to read that you had a comfortable stay with us and I am looking forward to welcome you again at NH Barbizon Palace.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is dated and dirty and I left with bites all over my arms and legs. The staff was very nice, the location was great but it was not the 5 star hotel it claims to be. The bathroom was dated and dirty and the bed was just two twins pushed together, AND I HAVE GROSS BITES ALL OVER ME!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Crystal S
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay with us and I regret it very much to read that you were bitten all over your arms and legs. I can imagine that this was very inconvenient for you and I hope that you are feeling a little bit better now.

Hereby I would like to inform you that, after reading your review, we immediately took action and checked all the twin rooms for bedbugs. I also informed a company, specialized in prevention of insects, to check the hotel and no bedbugs were found at all.

If you prefer to receive a report from the investigation, please contact the hotel and I will personally contact you.

Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, but it is a dated property, thus if you pay up to € 100/room/night, it is a great value offer. Any higher price will decrease the cost-effectiveness.
The surrounding area is full of nice restaurants and pubs and is not confusional as the nearby "Red Light District".

Room Tip: Choose rooms looking the courtyard, in order to have a good rest.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to read that you enjoyed also the surrounding area of NH Barbizon Palace and we are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest.

Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located close to the central train station. It is very nice looking with nice rooms.
However, the "double" bed is a large singel bed. Hopeless to get a decent nights sleep... Can't understand why some hotels insist on having beds like these.
The cleaning is not very good, but ok.
The staff is nice and helpful.
There is some noice from the streets, as could be expected in this area.
Did not have breakfast, so can't comment on that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you recently in NH Barbizon Palace and I would like to thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a decent night sleep in the room with the double bed. Hereby I would like to inform you that we also offer rooms on the inside part of the hotel with a King-size bed. Those rooms are not located on the street side and are more quiet.

I am looking forward to welcome you again!

Koper
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

While looking for a place in the center to stay for 1 night, we found this one on special offers. 120€, 5 stars, great!

The reception and lobby looks quite good, but the rest...it is an old hotel and needs to be renovated!
There is no pool, but they can offer you sauna, which we didn't use.Room was ok, clean and everything...but all the things look already old..

Nobody told us but there were some works going on in our corridor and it was loud also on late evening hours, when our baby was sleeping for a long time already.

All in one, it has good location, but doesn't deserve 5 stars or this prices.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review and suggestions. Hereby I would like to apologize that NH Barbizon Palace did not meet your expectations. Furthermore I regret it very much that you did not had a comfortable night because of noise from the corridor. I can imagine that this was very inconvenient for you and I will discuss this situation with my Management Team.

Furthermore, I hope that you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam and that we can welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!