The Sofitel The Grand is a really amazing hotel. It is not an 'ordinary' Sofitel hotel, it is a so called Sofitel Legend hotel, which just a few Sofitel hotels get awarded with. The hotel was really nicely decorated over the X-mas session 2010. After a few discrepancies (expedia made an error concerning the room category), which were handled in a real professional way by the young receptionists, our butler Domingo showed us the way to our Imperial Suite. All in all, the check-in was fast, professional and moreover all A-Club Platinum benefits were given. They even went a step further than the published Platinum benefits (one room category upgrade) and did not walk us for the last days - many thanks to Mr. Hogetoorn for this pre-X-mas-present ;)
The location is exceptional - you are in the middle of Amsterdam when you step outside of the hotel. All main sightseeing attractions are close by. To compare it with their immediate competitor the IC Amstel, it is much more convenient and you really can feel the old charm of the city of Amsterdam when you stroll through the iconic canals just outside of the hotel.
The service is top-notch. First of all I really have to say a big thank you to Domingo. He was here for us whenever we needed something and w/o him we probably would have spent X-mas in Amsterdam due to the snow chaos. Compared to other properties, which offer butler service like the Burj al Arab, the Touessrok or the Townhouse Galleria, the butler service at the Sofitel The Grand was much more private and all in all much better than at the mentioned former properties.
Also the guys at the reception greeted me every morning by name (but next time please not so formal :p) and also did a great job, as I already have mentioned. Service compared to the IC Amstel was also much better. Clear win for The Grand again.
Breakfast is compared to other hotels maybe a bit pricy but definitely worth it. You get champagne as well as nearly everything you could dream of. As far as I remember, I just missed a natural yoghurt there on one day.
Room service is also efficient and tasty. We had dinner always outside at awesome restaurants due to the suggestions of Domingo.
I just say Imperial Suite. Well, the room was really cool. Big living room with working desk, 2 Nespresso machines, steam bath, awesome bed (I need such a bed at home too, so ship it over to me lol), 3 LCD TVs and so on and so on. The best thing is when you simply scroll through my pictures, then you will get the impression of this room ;)
Compared to the IC Amstel, where we had an Executive Suite, the Imperial Suite was definitely bigger - around 110sqm - but still lacked a few things.
I missed a bathroom scale and maybe some more amenities like a toothbrush. But I have to admit that you will get such things when you say it to your butler. Maybe a running map in pocket design could maybe also be provided in the room.
But everything else, from the fine towels to the Hermes toiletries, was just outstanding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel