I booked a suite at this hotel as a treat for a few days away for total relaxation. Arrived by car and from the moment we went into the courtyard service could not be bettered anywhere. However I chose this hotel for two real reasons, firstly the Spa and secondly the central location. The spa was closed for refurbishment ! I didnt realise the hotel was literally on the edge of the red light district, for many people that wouldnt be a problem but at a weekend especially the whole area is crawling with drunken stag party revellers, unfortunately many are British using foul language and flouting any drinking in the street laws etc etc. Not what I wanted from a romantic weekend away, I am sure that during the week this wouldnt be too much of an issue and anyway instead of turning right from the hotel just turn left, it is different again and you see the real Amsterdam.
The spa being closed was a real issue as we just wanted to relax, the hotel offered us the opportunity to be bussed to another hotel they use the facilities of, but I declined as its not the same as being able to walk downstairs in the fluffy robe just when you feel like it. So we cancelled our third night and moved on to Bruges.
Would I stay there again, yes almost certainly, the spa being closed wasnt their fault although I wish I had been told on booking and the location, whilst being a little intimidating, is so central and exceptional by just walking the other way. The concierge was really very good, booking us at the very last minute an exceptionally good restaurant, the five flies, and on leaving there was mad panic when we decided to leave a day early as apparently the concierge hadnt got my "parcel" ready for the car. The car was brought to the door, he hurried off and came back with "the parcel". This consisted of sustenance for the journey, a couple of apples, breakfast bars and 2 bottles of water, a very nice touch!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel