“Truly Grand”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 23, 2005

After having spent many weeks reading countless reviews I finally decided on The Grand. I do not regret my choice as The Grand was truly grand! Everything; the hotel grounds, my room, the staff, the location could not have been any better. From the first moment I walked off the busy street into the beautiful quite courtyard I knew this place was special from top to bottom.Simply breathtaking. It was like walking into royalty, into history, my very own centuries old estate. Pleasant, finely dressed, prompt and professional staff greeted me at every turn with a smile and there was a lot of staff. One young man even gave me tour of the various old rooms used in history for weddings, meetings etc. etc. Another gave me an umbrella when it rained, arranged a massage, and recomfirmed my appointments. Treated like a guest should be treated. My room was spacious and comfortable. I remember reading other reviews criticizing the old wall paper and decor but to be honest after being in The Swiss Hotel in Berlin and the Hotel Joseph in Prague it was nice to be in a older classic setting so I had no problem with this at all. The bed was great and the bathroom very nice with all of the Roger and Gallet products I could possibly fit into my suitcase!! Add a canal view, fluffy bathrobe and slippers, and I was in heaven. Oh, and the turn down service every night with a yummy chocolate, and slippers placed on the floor by the head of my bed was just over the top. Stunning! Whenever I left my room be it a stroll in my bathrobe to the spa or for a day or night out on the town, I chose to walk down the marvelous stained glass staircase fantasizing about all famous people who too had descended those stairs. The sense of history was prevalent throught this hotel. The garden was very nice too. Nice extras: a business center with 4 computer terminals and free internet usage, unlike all the other hotels I was in that had only one terminal and a lot of waiting time to use them. Not here. Also this hotel never felt crowded or rushed or busy. (I had thought about staying in the Krasnapolsky and I'm so glad I did not choose that train station; they were so busy and crowded and full of people pushing and shoving and THEIR business center charged quite a fee for internet usage.) The location of the Grand was unbelievable; easy tram access, right near Dam Sqaure but totally away from all of the craziness, next to one the best coffeshops in town, across the canal from my favorite restaurant "van Kerkwijk", and short walks to all of the nicest parts of the center city, the red light area, as well as the Rembrandtplain, Leidisplain etc. In addition, the security at night was top notch... The Grand was truly grand in everyway, I had a magical stay, and I highly recommend it.

13  Thank ziggymbg

Augusta, GA
Reviewed August 15, 2005

My wife and I just got back from a post cruise 2-night stay at The Grand and could not have been happier. The staff was incredibly friendly and the room was glorious. The location is convenient to everything you would want to see in town and within walking distance of some of the major attractions. We followed the concierge's suggestions for dinner at a casual local restaurant and he was right on. The next time I am in Amsterdam I will be staying at the Grand again.

Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

My husband, eight year old son and I stayed at the Sofitel Grand Demeure for 4 glorious days in Amsterdam after a Holland America cruise that ended in Rotterdam - after being pampered for 12 days in the Baltic - it was going to be tough for any hotel to compete. The moment we entered the courtyard at the Sofitel (July 14, 2005) we knew that this was heaven - no matter where you turn on the property there is someone to meet your every need - you will be hard pressed to find that kind of hotel staff anywhere, even in North America. We stayed in a junior suite which was way more space then we needed but the bed is to die for. The best European bed you can get with great maid service. There is a pool which children love, (with lots of towels) as well as a dry sauna, steam, and a gym. The room amenities are top notch complete with slippers to wear whilst you make your way to the spa. The gym isn't top notch but if you need a work out it will do. A bonus is free internet access to a computer room what a great idea for a hotel and you meet the nicest people in there. Good way to make your way back to trip advisor! I am told the restuarant is the best - and although we did want to go, our 8 year cannot sit still for that amount of time to let others enjoy their food so we opted out. As books say it is only a block from the red light district and no worries about that - you would never know and security is it's finest in the evening as well as during the day. Amsteram is very much a walking city and we did not take a tram once - so even to get to Vondelpark, the Van Gogh, Anne Frank's House you can walk everywhere - there is a great variety of restaurants in the neighborhood - and I can tell you what a treat it was to come home to the Sofitel for 4 evenings with friendly staff - a fresh basket full of apples each day at reception and the beds to die for. If you are carrying hardly any luggage you can walk it from the train station. Also a good tip is to buy tickets to Anne Frank's House, the museums etc you can do that at the concierge at the Sofitel - will save time lining up somewhere else - and there is no surcharge for this service.

You also meet the nicest guests right in the lobby - I am sure that is because of the staff - there is very much a relaxed feeling at the Sofitel. We will go back again and again when we return to Amsterdam - the stay wouldn't be complete without the Grand Demeure. What a fabulous memory we left Europe with.

• Stayed: July 2005