After having spent many weeks reading countless reviews I finally decided on The Grand. I do not regret my choice as The Grand was truly grand! Everything; the hotel grounds, my room, the staff, the location could not have been any better. From the first moment I walked off the busy street into the beautiful quite courtyard I knew this place was special from top to bottom.Simply breathtaking. It was like walking into royalty, into history, my very own centuries old estate. Pleasant, finely dressed, prompt and professional staff greeted me at every turn with a smile and there was a lot of staff. One young man even gave me tour of the various old rooms used in history for weddings, meetings etc. etc. Another gave me an umbrella when it rained, arranged a massage, and recomfirmed my appointments. Treated like a guest should be treated. My room was spacious and comfortable. I remember reading other reviews criticizing the old wall paper and decor but to be honest after being in The Swiss Hotel in Berlin and the Hotel Joseph in Prague it was nice to be in a older classic setting so I had no problem with this at all. The bed was great and the bathroom very nice with all of the Roger and Gallet products I could possibly fit into my suitcase!! Add a canal view, fluffy bathrobe and slippers, and I was in heaven. Oh, and the turn down service every night with a yummy chocolate, and slippers placed on the floor by the head of my bed was just over the top. Stunning! Whenever I left my room be it a stroll in my bathrobe to the spa or for a day or night out on the town, I chose to walk down the marvelous stained glass staircase fantasizing about all famous people who too had descended those stairs. The sense of history was prevalent throught this hotel. The garden was very nice too. Nice extras: a business center with 4 computer terminals and free internet usage, unlike all the other hotels I was in that had only one terminal and a lot of waiting time to use them. Not here. Also this hotel never felt crowded or rushed or busy. (I had thought about staying in the Krasnapolsky and I'm so glad I did not choose that train station; they were so busy and crowded and full of people pushing and shoving and THEIR business center charged quite a fee for internet usage.) The location of the Grand was unbelievable; easy tram access, right near Dam Sqaure but totally away from all of the craziness, next to one the best coffeshops in town, across the canal from my favorite restaurant "van Kerkwijk", and short walks to all of the nicest parts of the center city, the red light area, as well as the Rembrandtplain, Leidisplain etc. In addition, the security at night was top notch... The Grand was truly grand in everyway, I had a magical stay, and I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel