The Grand is probably, overall, the best hotel in Amsterdam. But it's frustrating to see that perfection is within reach and the management fails to achieve it. For one thing, the hotel locks the entrance at midnight, requiring guests to identify themselves over an intercom to gain entry. This is unnecessary. Have passkey entry or post a security officer. Simply fixed. Another quibble: a hotel of this quality should have iPod docking or Bluetooth so guests can play their own music. The excellent wine selection should be available throughout the hotel, not just in Bridges restaurant, and Bridges itself should slightly expand its menu with more choices for guests who want simple, hearty meals without pretense. How about more items which work with red wine? Bridges is trying too hard to be exclusive. The best way to limit your clientele is through quality and price.
Most people will not pay 85 euro for 100 grams of "sea bass," well-prepared. For the ones that will, perfection is achieved by a laid-back, relaxed atmoshphere where the guest feels that any sane request will be honored. The best restaurants in the world always price out 98% of the dining public, then make the balance feel like good friends invited into the home. A few off-menu items should be available to every guest, and management should know that nearly everyone occasionally wants to eat a bowl of spaghetti. If that bowl a spaghetti needs to have 100 grams of fish on top to satisfy the restaurant charter, well, so be it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity, ACCOR, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel