We stayed one night at the hotel as part of our Tauck river cruise as it is their "official" hotel in Amsterdam at present. If you arrive earlier than the 3:00 check in or leave later than the 12:00 check out they will safely secure all of your bags for you.
It is in a good location for walking all around central Amsterdam however, it is not situated well for anyone arriving by coach as we had to walk more than five minutes from the closest point at which the bus can drop you off. Taxi's have no problem.
We found the front desk staff to be as professional as you would expect but did not eat in the restaurants because the food was a little too fancy for our tastes. We did have a very good buffet breakfast in a private room as part of our package with Tauck.
This is an expensive hotel and is comparable in price to the De L' Europe which we stayed in last year. This is a beautiful old building which has been modernized to the point where a lot of the charm has been removed. Rooms are decorated in a modern, contemporary fashion which is really not our taste. Having said that, our room was spacious by European standards.
There were a number of idiosyncrasies to the room which made it rather inconvenient to actually utilize. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom but no plug that would fit it (was only one outlet in the bathroom and it was not near the mirror) so I ended up using the outlet close to the floor near the front door. The mirror in the bathroom could be rolled about a foot in either direction but it never worked in conjunction with the light source so applying makeup there was next to impossible. There was a lighted magnifying mirror which is helpful for some things but useless for others.
There was no fan in the bathroom and the doors don't actually meet so privacy could be an issue. As well, we could not figure out a way to leave some of the lights on and turn some off. It was basically all or nothing except for the two spotlight reading lights on either side of the bed.
The bed linens were gorgeous and the bed and pillows so comfortable that I didn't want to get up. Surprisingly, the bathroom linens were quite the opposite. The towels were ratty and hard and one even had two large holes in it!
This may sound petty but when they are charging over $600.00 per night for a room and claiming five star accommodation we expect a lot more. As I mentioned earlier, the De L'Europe is comparable in price, two blocks away in, what we believe is, a better location and really was five star in everything. Given the choice, we would pay a little more and stay down the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, ACCOR, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel